New Chicago Union Station CTA bus transit center

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

amtrakpass

Service Attendant
I saw today that the new CTA Chicago Union Station Bus Transit Center is now open. Even though the routes are the same it should make it a little easier and more straighforward for those wanting to catch a local bus. It is at Jackson and Canal in between the Great Hall and the Amtrak self parking garage. There also is an entrance under the street via a stairway and elevator in the hallway to the parking garage next to track 2 on the south concourse. I also see on the CTA site they are rennovating the Quincy L stop a couple blocks from Union Station to include Elevators which should make things a little easier for those with luggage. Nice to see some relatively simple improvements

What?

Amtrak self-parking garage?

How have I missed that?

Where, and what does it cost? Reasonable for a 6-8 day round trip?

Apparently, "what we have here is a failure to communicate" has become Amtrak's modus operandi.

I don't think Amtrak has special long term rates at the garage but i may be mistaken. I have used it to pick up or drop off people since the indoor hallway to the south concourse is convienent. Just to add a little to the thread here is the detail of the quincy L work. Also has a good history of the stop.

http://www.transitchicago.com/quincy/

Ah, thanks. I looked at it. For a 5-6 day stay, it's pretty expensive. A cab will get me to CUS from my home in the 'burbs for about $50 including tip.

I've watched the transit center's progress, and I have a question.

If I understand things correctly, the northern-most lane at the transit center is to be used by buses that need to turn left onto northbound Canal Street, where they will eventually turn right onto Washington and onto the "Loop Link" sort-of-BRT busway. The other two lanes at the transit center are to be used by buses that will continue eastbound on Jackson.

On Canal, between Jackson and Adams, they are supposed to be segregating vehicular traffic - buses to use the two right lanes (one to pick up/drop off, one for through traffic), automobiles/taxis to use the three left lanes (one pick up/drop off, two for through traffic).

Will there be any kind of signal prioritization given to the buses trying to get out of the transit center and onto the streets? Lacking that, will there be a traffic cop waving buses into traffic? Maybe I'm missing something, but with buses cutting across all lanes of traffic on Canal to either get into the right lanes of Canal or onto eastbound Jackson, and with autos needing to get into the left lanes of Canal, without any signal priority, it looks like it's going to be a huge chokepoint.

I won't be anywhere near Union Station until early next week, so I won't be able to observe for myself until then. If anyone could offer an eyewitness account, I'd be grateful.

Also, a slightly off-topic question. Will taxis ever be allowed to use the taxi drives inside the station again? If traffic mitigation is the goal here, there should be some way to allow taxis to access the drives.

Seems like a good Streetsblog question - historically, as I'm sure you know, Chicago depends on signals for lanes rather than priority, but I think the new BRT lite in the loop has signal priority (note to self, actually check) so perhaps that will be the case here.

Will taxis ever be allowed to use the taxi drives inside the station again? If traffic mitigation is the goal here, there should be some way to allow taxis to access the drives.
When we availed ourselves of a RedCap on our last trip, we took that path out of the station. The RedCap told us that this is probably a permanent closure, instituted after 9/11 for security's sake.

Will taxis ever be allowed to use the taxi drives inside the station again? If traffic mitigation is the goal here, there should be some way to allow taxis to access the drives.
When we availed ourselves of a RedCap on our last trip, we took that path out of the station. The RedCap told us that this is probably a permanent closure, instituted after 9/11 for security's sake.
As I suspected. But they do allow delivery trucks to use the ramps into the station. I would imagine that the supply companies and drivers need to be screened in some way to allow access. Could the same thing not be done for taxis, screening the cab companies, drivers and vehicles, perhaps issuing a pass to drivers that they would need to display before being admitted onto the station taxi drives?

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw today that the new CTA Chicago Union Station Bus Transit Center is now open. Even though the routes are the same it should make it a little easier and more straighforward for those wanting to catch a local bus. It is at Jackson and Canal in between the Great Hall and the Amtrak self parking garage. There also is an entrance under the street via a stairway and elevator in the hallway to the parking garage next to track 2 on the south concourse. I also see on the CTA site they are rennovating the Quincy L stop a couple blocks from Union Station to include Elevators which should make things a little easier for those with luggage. Nice to see some relatively simple improvements
Did not know about the elevators being installed at Quincy. That will be a nice thing. I was just at that stop a few days ago. Now if they could make easier access to the Clinton stop on the Blue Line, we'll be in business.

I have this thought in the back of my mind that Clinton is on the list for improvements, i.e. elevator down to platform as well as to the mezzanine. However, I've never found anything concrete - it's one of the deepest stations and has an escalator from the mezzanine, but it's a long walk if it's out of service.

Ah, thanks. I looked at it. For a 5-6 day stay, it's pretty expensive. A cab will get me to CUS from my home in the 'burbs for about $50 including tip.
George, check out the SpotHero website (or app). I've been able to snag parking in the Loop for as little as $7/day, and I parked underneath the Belmont (Red/Purple/Brown) stop for $4/day during the week of Christmas.

That's still pretty close to your cab price, but it offers you a little flexibility if you'd prefer to drive your own vehicle. Plus, I get 20% off coupons in my email all the time.

So, for anyone in Chicago, did they redo Canal Street? I know they were supposed to put in a center pedestrian island so that they could have separate bus-unloading and taxi-loading queues. Did they ever do it?

So, for anyone in Chicago, did they redo Canal Street? I know they were supposed to put in a center pedestrian island so that they could have separate bus-unloading and taxi-loading queues. Did they ever do it?
The Canal Street viaduct has not been rebuilt yet. The Union Station Master Plan website repeatedly makes reference to Chicago Dept. of Trans. reconstructing the Canal Street viaduct "some time this decade".

As a matter of fact, in May, 2015, Amtrak and Union Station sued the City of Chicago over the condition of the viaduct and the city's failure to maintain and repair the structure. They asked for $514,000 in damages. I don't know what the status of the case is, as of today.

http://cookcountyrecord.com/stories/510579805-amtrak-sues-city-over-condition-of-canal-street-viaduct-at-union-station-alleges-neglected-maintenance

Regarding the pedestrian/auto drop-off island, Streetsblog Chicago states that the island has been built.

From the article (invoking Fair Use), which can be found at the following URL-

http://chi.streetsblog.org/2016/08/30/union-station-transit-center-will-open-sunday-easing-trainbus-transfers/#more-112819

Meanwhile, the Chicago Department of Transportation is reconfiguring Canal Street between Jackson and Adams Street to make it function better as part of Loop Link. The east side of Canal between Jackson and Adams, on the east side of Union Station, is now reserved for bus and wheelchair vehicle pick-up and drop-off only, while the west side is for all other through traffic including taxi and passenger car pick-up-and drop-off. CDOT has also added a pedestrian island and mid-block crossing on Canal. There will also be a dedicated traffic light for buses exiting the USTC.
Ah....I also found an answer to my question regarding signalization of the transit center. Many thanks, Metra Electric Rider, for turning me onto the site! :hi: -h/t to you-

Also from the article, a few pictures-

mjmCWQA.jpg

AhCY2Z6.jpg

bqTWr67.jpg

Image Source - Streetsblog Chicago/John Greenfield

Did not know about the elevators being installed at Quincy. That will be a nice thing. I was just at that stop a few days ago. Now if they could make easier access to the Clinton stop on the Blue Line, we'll be in business.
As a matter of fact, plans are afoot to connect Union Station to the Clinton Blue Line stop via an extension of the passageway that currently connects the station to the garage and now the transit center.

In July of this year, Arup was selected as the design team for a series of improvements at Union Station. A list of 13 improvements, collectively known as Phase 1A, are intended to improve capacity and access issues currently plaguing the station.

As per Metra, the improvements are as follows-

1) Renovate Canal Street lobby, NS/EW Concourse expansion, HVAC overhaul

2) Renovate and expand Adams Street (ADA) entrance

3) Renovate and expand Jackson entrance

4) Install Canal Street headhouse (ADA) entrance elevator

5) Add vertical access along Canal Street

6) Widen Platforms 6/8 and 10/12 and add direct access (ADA) to street level

7) Add platform 2/4 direct access (ADA) to Jackson

8) Add platform 1/3 direct access (ADA) to Madison

9) Convert high-level mail platform to passenger platform

10) Interlocking improvements

11) Pedestrian passageway and street access to Ogilvie Station

12) Pedestrian passageway to CTA Clinton Blue Line Station

13) Renovation and modification of existing station retail

I don't know how fast Arup, Metra, and Amtrak can move on this. Personally I really look forward to the Lake Shore Limited pulling into the *high level* ex-mail platform at Chicago, so we don't have to negotiate steps.

I don't know how fast Arup, Metra, and Amtrak can move on this. Personally I really look forward to the Lake Shore Limited pulling into the *high level* ex-mail platform at Chicago, so we don't have to negotiate steps.
This release from Amtrak about Arup and the Phase 1A improvements, which can be found at the following URL-

http://media.amtrak.com/2016/07/amtrak-and-partners-announce-design-team-for-chicago-union-station/

states the following-

The work under Phase 1A is expected to last approximately 18 months. Opportunities for public comment and involvement will be announced and advertised on UnionStationMP.com.
I take that to mean 18 months for just the design/engineering portion of Phase 1A performed by Arup.

As far as funding for the improvements is concerned, the city just established several "Transit TIF" districts. One district is specifically for Union Station, which extends a half mile in all directions from the station. The West Loop is experiencing explosive growth, and the increase in the area's property values might pull in some decent dollars for the TIF fund. They could also apply for an RRIF loan, using future TIF money to pay off the loan.

I'm not sure whether the two converted platforms, formed from a single mail platform, are to remain at that height or not. One platform will be serving two through tracks and the other will be serving two stub end tracks. The stub end tracks would be converted into through tracks if and when needs require. According to conceptual drawings, each platform would be as wide as 46-48 feet at their widest points. They would stretch at least as far as the south side of Harrison, where emergency exits are planned on the small plaza at the current Post Office.

The platforms would be accessed from below, with its own waiting area and possible food vendor space. This is where the "steam tunnel" in the basement of Union Station is to be converted into a passageway to the new platforms. Renderings show the passageway with moving walkways. And it won't be a short jaunt, either. The southernmost portion of the waiting areas will be sitting directly under Congress, which is about two and a half city blocks from the Canal St. entrance.

I thought I read in the master plan somewhere that the converted platforms were to be used primarily for regional/state-sponsored routes, but I could be wrong about that. Since the two platforms won't be directly connected to the concourse at track level, and will have no baggage platforms of their own, it may not be practical to have long-distance trains use them.

I had really hoped that Union Station could kill two birds with one stone with the converted steam tunnel. At the end of the steam tunnel, just south of Congress, there is a "Cross Tunnel" which runs west from the steam tunnel to about Canal St. My thought was that the combination of the steam and cross tunnels could be used as a pedestrian connection to the Clinton Blue Line station as well as the access point to the converted mail platforms. They'd only have to extend the cross tunnel one block west to Clinton and connect to the mezzanine level of the Blue Line station.

Plus a new developer recently pried the old Post Office building out of Robert Davies' cold, dead hands (literally), and is spending hundreds of millions to restore and redevelop the landmark, which straddles the Eisenhower Expressway. The developer estimates that the property could eventually become the workplace of some 12,000 workers. My thought was to get the developer to help share the costs of developing the steam tunnel/cross tunnel passage, by providing access to the tunnel from the redeveloped Post Office. It would provide a great selling point to potential tenants - employees would have direct access to the Clinton Blue Line Station and Union Station (and Ogilvie Station, with the planned passageway), fully protected from the elements.

Unfortunately, it looks as if the cross tunnel is being placed off limits for now. One of two possible long-term plans envisions building a new intercity train station at 300 South Riverside. The cross tunnel would have to be used to gain access to the south platforms to load/unload baggage, as the 300 Riverside plan calls for ripping out all of the baggage platforms that service the south tracks.

As a matter of fact, plans are afoot to connect Union Station to the Clinton Blue Line stop via an extension of the passageway that currently connects the station to the garage and now the transit center.

In July of this year, Arup was selected as the design team for a series of improvements at Union Station. A list of 13 improvements, collectively known as Phase 1A, are intended to improve capacity and access issues currently plaguing the station.

As per Metra, the improvements are as follows-

1) Renovate Canal Street lobby, NS/EW Concourse expansion, HVAC overhaul

2) Renovate and expand Adams Street (ADA) entrance

3) Renovate and expand Jackson entrance

4) Install Canal Street headhouse (ADA) entrance elevator

5) Add vertical access along Canal Street

6) Widen Platforms 6/8 and 10/12 and add direct access (ADA) to street level

7) Add platform 2/4 direct access (ADA) to Jackson

8) Add platform 1/3 direct access (ADA) to Madison

9) Convert high-level mail platform to passenger platform

10) Interlocking improvements

11) Pedestrian passageway and street access to Ogilvie Station

12) Pedestrian passageway to CTA Clinton Blue Line Station

13) Renovation and modification of existing station retail
The pedestrian passageway from the Blue Line will certainly be a game changer for Chicago. Not having to battle the elements outside in the middle of winter to make that connection is a great thing. Gives folks a better sense of connection between O'Hare Airport (via the Blue Line) & Union Station as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back