New Concept for Superliner Bedroom w pics

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was probing around the net and came upon these photos of an actual bedroom on a train. I am suggesting to Amtrak that they employ this superior design on the next Superliner order. It looks to be far more comfortable than the current bedroom design,

Maharajas-Express-A-Luxury-Train-in-India-5.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Part of the reason I travel by train is to "get away". This looks too homey. :)

Looks good to me although it might be a little pricey!

In the late eighties we took the American Orient Express from WAS to CHI and had a room almost this nice but not nearly as large. It was a great trip. And just a side note about this trip. There was a film crew on board from France. About a year later a colleague from the German office of the company I was working for at the time happened to see the video on German TV and happened to notice a shot of me eating dinner (I was a star for all but 5 seconds). She was kind enough to get a copy of the video for me. I didn't (and don't) understand what they are saying but the pictures are nice and the trip was great!

That's not an Amtrak bedroom, silly. It's only a roomette. The bedroom has a couch, chair and 46" TV as well as the bed!
That bedroom belongs to the POTUS. On AMTRAK ONE. The bedroom pictured here must be for VPOTUS(Amtrak Joe Biden)

edited for typo

That photo is from The Maharajas Express, a super high-end luxury tourist train operating in India. Lots more photos of the accommodation options in this gallery.

As for the costs, this room costs $22,000 (yes, twenty two thousand US dollars only :D ) for a 7 night 8 day trip, so do the math, $5,000 or so for a typical 2 night trip from Chicago to West coast on a Superliner equipped train. Imagine the number of AGR points you'd accumulate :p

Yes, that is a photo of The Maharajas Express. Our Jis takes that train when

he is traveling in India!!

The ones in Australia are like this as well as AMAZING lounge and dining cars. They bring tea and coffee to your room every morning and even a bottle of wine. The have gold class and platinum class. It seems like all other countries have these cars except the USA.

Isn't VIA building a deluxe bedroom accommodation for the Canadian, which will feature extra large windows, full bathroom, and tv in the room? Not as over the top as this, but definitely a step up from a lower level roomette.

Reminds me of a hotel in Pa. (was it Wilkes-Barre?), that I stayed at in the late '70's. It utilized what I believe were former Lackawanna MU cars, that were converted to two bedrooms per car......

That photo is from The Maharajas Express, a super high-end luxury tourist train operating in India. Lots more photos of the accommodation options in this gallery.
As for the costs, this room costs $22,000 (yes, twenty two thousand US dollars only :D ) for a 7 night 8 day trip, so do the math, $5,000 or so for a typical 2 night trip from Chicago to West coast on a Superliner equipped train. Imagine the number of AGR points you'd accumulate :p
well spotted.

Do you have a clue what the train you can see outside the window is. I wasn't aware of any trains like that in India.

It reminds me more of a Swiss double decker. But of course it can't be.

well spotted.
Do you have a clue what the train you can see outside the window is. I wasn't aware of any trains like that in India.

It reminds me more of a Swiss double decker. But of course it can't be.
That's a typical non-airconditioned coach on India Rail.
Rail.jpg
]

And who said IR was a cheap ride?

How did a picture of one of the crew dorm rooms on the Penthouse Suite get out? :excl: :eek:
And how do you know this is a crew dorm room? Have you been snooping around the Penthouse Suite? :ph34r:
No, nothing so sinister. Having met the_traveler, I'm surprised you couldn't tell, as I did, that he would never settle for something so pedestrian for himself, but that he would also make sure the PS crew was well taken care of. So it was purely a guess on my part based on an old family maxim: If you can't blind them with science, baffle them with bull manure. :)

How did a picture of one of the crew dorm rooms on the Penthouse Suite get out? :excl: :eek:
And how do you know this is a crew dorm room? Have you been snooping around the Penthouse Suite? :ph34r:
No, nothing so sinister. Having met the_traveler, I'm surprised you couldn't tell, as I did, that he would never settle for something so pedestrian for himself, but that he would also make sure the PS crew was well taken care of. So it was purely a guess on my part based on an old family maxim: If you can't blind them with science, baffle them with bull manure. :)
So, have you applied for a job on the PS crew? :D

Am I the only one that finds the interior design in that room slightly nauseating?
Nope, I do too. I have no real words but uncomfortable. No comfy chairs, the bedspread, plus I would have trouble coming up with all of the $22,000 per trip. I will stick to the Amtrak sardine can! I just read it was India. Lotta space for one or two persons.

The ones in Australia are like this as well as AMAZING lounge and dining cars.
Probably more accurate to say "there are ones in Australia like this" -- CountryLink between Sydney and Melbourne is nowhere near that fancy (its sleeping cars are a lot closer to Amtrak standards).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back