New Control Panel In Sleepers

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

daveyb99

OBS Chief
I was onboard the Texas Eagle Wednesday, in sleeper #32011, and noticed AMTRAK has replaced the typical light/air/power panel with the old switches and bulb lamp with a modern LED lamp and metal-plate-touch-on/off type swithches.

Fancy. Anyone else seen this?

Now if the rest of the car could upgrade.

I was onboard the Texas Eagle Wednesday, in sleeper #32011, and noticed AMTRAK has replaced the typical light/air/power panel with the old switches and bulb lamp with a modern LED lamp and metal-plate-touch-on/off type swithches.

Yes, on the Coast Starlight and/or Empire Builder. They are great during the day but at night in a dark(er) room it is harder to discern which touch pad is which function unless you already no the sequences. I ended up hitting call attendent instead of lights a couple of times.

Yes, on the Coast Starlight and/or Empire Builder. They are great during the day but at night in a dark(er) room it is harder to discern which touch pad is which function unless you already no the sequences. I ended up hitting call attendent instead of lights a couple of times.
Just got off the EB in CHI about a couple of hours ago and in the H room I too found these differences including the electical outlet was near the light switch instead of near the air control panel.

Also the button for the flusher was on the right side facing the toilet instead of the left or auto flushing. First time I've seen that!

The only saftey bar was out or reach from the toilet, a real safety issue for sure.

The bunk bed had a different lift lock system and I also think the length of the seats when made into a bed was a wee bit shorter too! I asked the attendant if it was a Superliner I or II but he didn't know and I forgot to look when deboarding the train. I think it might have been, but I but can't be sure.

Although I don't use a wheel chair most of the time, I also noticed that the bracket for a wheel chair was also non-existant. The sliding entrance door was also a wee bit different although of the same basic design.

The bunk bed had a different lift lock system and I also think the length of the seats when made into a bed was a wee bit shorter too! I asked the attendant if it was a Superliner I or II but he didn't know and I forgot to look when deboarding the train. I think it might have been, but I but can't be sure.
The EB uses Superliner I almost exclusively, though they could have had a II if needed.

The EB uses Superliner I almost exclusively, though they could have had a II if needed.
Thanks! Funny that I explained how the room was different that others I've used in the past and he reacted like he hadn't a clue that there were differences in other Superliner sleepers! Well, at least he was great when it came to providing service, and that's all that really counts!

It was most likely an SL I. I was on the CS earlier this month, and the SL II I was in had older panels, and the SL Is were newly refurbed, and had newer switches. The ride was still better on the SL II, though.

Actually not so anymore-- The CS has started picking up the Empire Sleepers when they're turned in SEA. Last month I took the EB to SEA, then a week laster to the CS and I was in the exact same car! Even the same room in the same car.

Actually not so anymore-- The CS has started picking up the Empire Sleepers when they're turned in SEA. Last month I took the EB to SEA, then a week laster to the CS and I was in the exact same car! Even the same room in the same car.
Just a note for whatever it's worth... I didn't mention that we were out of Portland and not Seattle.

Just a note for whatever it's worth... I didn't mention that we were out of Portland and not Seattle.
The EB will always have its Superliner I's, but as they have come out of the shop they are being ferried over to the CS via 7 to connect to 14.

The EB will always have its Superliner I's, but as they have come out of the shop they are being ferried over to the CS via 7 to connect to 14.
What shop? CS cars are maintained in the shops in LA and therefore have no need to be ferried on the EB. And at least so far, I'm not aware of any wrecked cars that have been released from Beech Grove.

I can't explain just why you found the same car on the CS, other than perhaps something was bad ordered.

What shop? CS cars are maintained in the shops in LA and therefore have no need to be ferried on the EB. And at least so far, I'm not aware of any wrecked cars that have been released from Beech Grove.

I can't explain just why you found the same car on the CS, other than perhaps something was bad ordered.
It would be two bad-ordered cars then. The attendant talked to be about it, said it had been his car for two round trips. I asked him the dates and we compared notes. The day after my 7 got into SEA was the first day he worked that car. The car ahead of him was also an Empire, it was also on the 7. I didn't check the transdorm but I betchya it was also on my 7. That would mean they switched at least two of the three cars on the CS that day (and the previous couple runs). He testified to the fact that he was told to expect this and that they were going to bring Empire Sleepers onto the rotation.

Actually, Alan, a couple of cars have come out, including two of the four diners for the Capitol Limited!

I haven't noticed any new control panels (although the only two times I've ever been in Superliner I refurbed sleepers were at NTD and WUS's 100th).

It's a real toss-up of equipment, like I've watched videos of the EB and CS. One day the EB might have partially refurbished Superliner II sleepers, while the CS gets refurbished Superliner I cars. The CS is also designated as a "rehabbed train" (it offers the same coach, and better sleeper service as the EB).

cpamtfan-Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back