New dining options (flex dining) effective October 1, 2019

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Air Canada Business does the same...almonds and cashews. And to my delight/horror, brought a newly filled bowl after I finished the first
Don't hold Air Canada up as a shining example. Just spent 5 hours flying home from SoCal with them, followed by another 1.5 hours on the tarmac waiting for a gate. The nuts mentioned were stale and served cold (not hot like AA), collected before finished so they could rush through dinner. Pre-departure drink (your choice on most airlines) was water - take it or leave it. Both choices of food looked much worse than what Amtrak's new dining offers and were just as unappetizing. Dessert was a still partially frozen blondie - half the size of the one on Amtrak. One glass of wine, no refills offered - just more water. The highlight of the trip was the UA lounge before departure. I'd try the new Amtrak dinner before repeating this. At least there would be a decent view.

Here’s breakfast. Amtrak crew is sitting at the “buffet table” so you awkwardly get your coffee creamer, etc. while they are just sitting there.

Lsa has a tip jar out of course.

Oh and iced coffee is no longer on the “flex” dining menu (it was on the original contemporary dining menus).

Do you know if they have the hard boiled eggs? It’s not on the menu, but I thought I saw it mentioned on the news release. It was on the previous menu.

On the Capitol Limited. I was prepared to be disappointed, but you know what? I don’t hate this, really.

Pros-eat whenever you want. No need to decide hours early what time later you will want. When you’re ready-you go.

A free drink was a nice touch, as I was drinking anyway. Saved me a few bucks I suppose.

No endless PA announcements about seating times, etc.

Breakfast is healthier-sure, I love pancakes and omelettes-but the oatmeal and yogurt I had this morning was arguably better for me, and what I eat at home anyway.

For dinner, wasn’t really hungry, ate before boarding but wanted to check it out-had the kids pasta and meatballs. Actually wasn’t bad! The side salad however was just lettuce starting to turn brown. Wasn’t thrilled about that.

Cons-well-even though the steak of days past wasn’t great, hey, it was still a steak.

As has been mentioned-it’s just convection oven heated glorified TV dinners will be on the Crescent tonight, will see how another meal is.

All in all, the diner isn’t crowded, things seem to flow well, food isn’t as bad as I expected. Maybe the sky isn’t falling.

And Amtrak is asking-two people from corporate we’re riding the train and talking to everyone getting opinions. So there is that.

Attachments

• 98F9DDE3-E7D5-456C-94B5-1D5BBBC257A5.jpeg
    98F9DDE3-E7D5-456C-94B5-1D5BBBC257A5.jpeg
    71.9 KB · Views: 62
  • 3CF01063-8900-4603-B886-ACF7BB01439A.jpeg
    3CF01063-8900-4603-B886-ACF7BB01439A.jpeg
    33.3 KB · Views: 62
For dinner, wasn’t really hungry, ate before boarding but wanted to check it out-had the kids pasta and meatballs. Actually wasn’t bad! The side salad however was just lettuce starting to turn brown. Wasn’t thrilled about that.
So they don't restrict that one to kids I take it? Is the portion actually smaller than the other meals?

No mention of hard boiled eggs but I didn’t ask about them. I would have liked them, as I can’t have the sandwich so I was stuck with yogurt, fruit and cereal. But at least they have Cheerios which are gluten free.

1). It’s not microwaved. They use a convection oven.

2). Blame Congress, not Anderson. He’s following the mandate they gave Amtrak to not lose money on F&B

Well now, if I were to purchase a ready made meal at home, something I've done plenty of times, I would stick it in the microwave. Hearing they use a convection oven, I feel that right there is a step up from my normal and something to look forward to.

The “kids” pasta seemed to be the same size as the other meals. Several folks got it, they didn’t restrict it to just kids this time anyway. As with all things Amtrak, your experience may vary!

Here’s breakfast. Amtrak crew is sitting at the “buffet table” so you awkwardly get your coffee creamer, etc. while they are just sitting there. Lsa has a tip jar out of course. Oh and iced coffee is no longer on the “flex” dining menu (it was on the original contemporary dining menus).
That's hilarious. Get yourself to the counter, collect your own items, bus your own table, but don't forget to tip on the way out. It's almost like Anderson and the Amtrak dining staff deserve each other.

Well now, if I were to purchase a ready made meal at home, something I've done plenty of times, I would stick it in the microwave. Hearing they use a convection oven, I feel that right there is a step up from my normal and something to look forward to.

I would take an Amy's microwaved dinner over this.. but that's just my opinion.

On the Capitol Limited. I was prepared to be disappointed, but you know what? I don’t hate this, really.

Pros-eat whenever you want. No need to decide hours early what time later you will want. When you’re ready-you go.

A free drink was a nice touch, as I was drinking anyway. Saved me a few bucks I suppose.

No endless PA announcements about seating times, etc.

Breakfast is healthier-sure, I love pancakes and omelettes-but the oatmeal and yogurt I had this morning was arguably better for me, and what I eat at home anyway.

Cons-well-even though the steak of days past wasn’t great, hey, it was still a steak.

As has been mentioned-it’s just convection oven heated glorified TV dinners will be on the Crescent tonight, will see how another meal is.

All in all, the diner isn’t crowded, things seem to flow well, food isn’t as bad as I expected. Maybe the sky isn’t falling.

And Amtrak is asking-two people from corporate we’re riding the train and talking to everyone getting opinions. So there is that.

You could have had oatmeal (and not the instant kind) and yogurt on any amtrak dining car if you chose to. I personally prefer a slightly larger breakfast but since you were satisfied all the customers should be satisfied?

And again... you could have always ordered a kids pasta dish if you got on the train and weren't hungry. Would you ever go to a restaurant and order a kids spaghetti and meatball plate? I know I wouldn't order a frozen shrimp and sausage rice bowl but I would and have ordered Salmon and Mashed potatoes, Grilled Chicken Breast and baked potato, etc. in a restaurant. I think that's my biggest complaint... this is not even close to food that I would usually order.

As for the service model... you're right. I personally don't mind it because I can just walk in and have a seat anywhere, stay as long as I like, etc. It makes the car feel way more casual and more like a lounge car but there are pro's and con's with that just like the traditional dining car. Of course... the car isn't crowded because it's not serving the entire train, it's just a table car for sleeping car passengers and the new employee break room.

It’s funny on VIA Rail you don’t see the crews using a table for supplies in the diner. And you don’t see employees milling around at tables endlessly.

That is the example we should go after. And same with meals go back to full service

Some of us can’t eat any of the breakfast items because we don’t like any of them.

It’s funny on VIA Rail you don’t see the crews using a table for supplies in the diner. And you don’t see employees milling around at tables endlessly.

That is the example we should go after. And same with meals go back to full service

Some of us can’t eat any of the breakfast items because we don’t like any of them.

Also the VIA Rail steward comes by to get drink orders and suggests various wines and beers. I'd say 75% of my tablemates on VIA ordered wine or beer at dinner. It's a great way to make money. and yes the Steward on VIA uses the Steward's desk and doesn't pile up paper work everywhere.

Which reminds me... the LSA in the new flex diner STILL had all these papers everywhere on the table. I'm not sure if she was doing inventory or what but once again the whole process is just wrong.

Seeing it looks ever more like Amtrak wants to contract out OBS maybe we can hope and pray VIA bids on it.
VIA, which loses money hand over fist and is subsidized by the Canadian Government will bid on something where they will lose even more money? Of course! Afterall the Canadians did fund our Acelas too o_O

Actually as a contractor they might come out ahead. Strange times. (Joking about VIA) but a company paying wages like Ellis’s Hoosier state could probably make a go of it if it was just dining services. He had great dedicated employees and I’m sure he didn’t pay that well.

Yes there’s the union issue but if the goal is to remove all dining crews nationwide in the next 1.5 years as is the rumor, the jobs will be gone either way.
I look forward to the day of new competence and honest Amtrak management.

Last edited:
You could have had oatmeal (and not the instant kind) and yogurt on any amtrak dining car if you chose to. I personally prefer a slightly larger breakfast but since you were satisfied all the customers should be satisfied?

Would you ever go to a restaurant and order a kids spaghetti and meatball plate? I know I wouldn't order a frozen shrimp and sausage rice bowl but I would and have ordered Salmon and Mashed potatoes, Grilled Chicken Breast and baked potato, etc. in a restaurant. I think that's my biggest complaint... this is not even close to food that I would usually order.

Whoa, calm down my man! First, I never said if I was satisfied, all th customers should be too. I said I was satisfied. Frankly, I don’t care if you are, or if you are not. I do care if I am, as I am the one paying for it. You can make your own determination. And from the pages and pages of moaning wailing and gnashing of teeth, it doesn’t seem like most on this forum will be. That’s a shame, really. I was prepared to not be. But surprisingly it wasn’t that bad, and frankly I think like you said, the service model is an improvement overall.

Second, the “kids” pasta is a full size meal. Honestly not sure why they even label it as a kids meal, at all. It actually was better than many of the dinner meals I’ve had on board in the past. So would I order pasta in a restaraunt? Of course.

Third, I haven’t had the shrimp thing yet. Maybe tonight. But everyone I spoke to recommended it. Maybe it doesn’t suck! I am picky about seafood, and that “seafood cake” thing they used to hav was atrocious. So I’m shy about seafood on a train, like you said, especially from a frozen dinner thing.....but I remember when they had fried catfish 5-6 years ago. Was afraid of it, but after so many steak and chicken meals during a busy travel month, I gave it a shot. And man, THAT was actually great! Then they dropped it. Go figure lol.

It’s not the golden age of streamliners anymore. And that is never coming back, that I can see anyway. I get it, many people, especially on this fan page, save up for months, and go for the experience and like the nostalgia. I’m a business traveler. I travel 4-6 trips a year on average by train, to break up my ndless flights nearly every week. Some years more, some years less, but usually every few months I do an overnight trip. Generally between BHM or CHI and DC/NYC, and out West sometimes too. I also kinda dig the nostalgia, in the old stations, etc, but really am here to travel, and work, not take a land cruise.

I kinda dig the move to modernize the service model for convenience. Honestly, I see this as a generally good thing now. Especially on these short one night trips, I can eat well before, or after the trip. On board, I just need a place to work, and sleep. Hell I usually brought my own food on board and skipped the diner anyway. A nice charcuterie, and wine, or a decent sandwich n my room had become my norm. Probably will continue to be. Diner food was so mediocre, I rarely bothered with it over the last 2-3 years anyway.

In short, so far I’m surprisingly fine with the changes, and can’t wait for the improved bedding for the sleepers, that was WAY overdue! I get not everyone is. But I hope this is just the beginning of making rail travel much more contemporary.

Last edited:
Whoa, calm down my man! First, I never said if I was satisfied, all th customers should be too. I said I was satisfied. Frankly, I don’t care if you are, or if you are not. I do care if I am, as I am the one paying for it.
I typed it in a calm tone.. my macbook keyboard must have translated it into angry :p I was just trying to figure out the logic of your thoughts that offering less options is a good thing.

I can see the appeal of the service model. The "full service" dining car model wasn't for everyone... but I don't feel this is either. That being said I was fine with it. I personally was not satisfied with the food or the selection but interesting that you think it's fine. I'll say that the shrimp dish was maybe as good as some of the pasta dishes that I've had from amtrak in the past... but I never thought the pasta dishes were very good. I thought the steak, salmon, chicken, veggie burger, entree salads, and hot breakfasts were good and as I said... as good as I expect in a Denny's, Applebees, etc.

I'm with you on the travel style... I travel for work full time. I'm not taking a land cruise either but if I'm going to take a train with multiple meal periods, I want to have what I consider decent meals. I wasn't walking in with my mind made up. As tacky as I personally feel it is to serve the foil covered meals in paper bags... the service model does work and I enjoyed walking in and just having a seat and taking my time.

Honestly my solution would be keep the chef position, can the LSA and the sleeper attendants have to serve the food... that's basically what I observed. The LSA is heating the meals, bagging them, and the attendants are getting drinks and delivering the food. So at that point... why not keep the chef? Much better use of money in my book.

Those of you who have been on the Meteor since the changeover--can you tell us if they have the same number of dining car staff? Or if they are the same people as before? I always found the dining car crews on the Meteor decent to wonderful, and the attitude and laziness thing doesn't sound like the ones I've known through the years.

I wonder if they are just as discouraged about this change as many of the passengers are, and it's coming out like this?

Also, of course, I bet nobody bothered to walk them through the new system--they were probably just supposed to figure it out overnight on their own.

...and some of us likely cannot eat any of the lunch or dinner entrees because they likely contain ingredients to which we are allergic.

I am on the Silver Meteor now in the sleeper lounge not eating any of the lunch/dinner entrees because they all contain garlic, to which I am allergic. I am drinkling Lipton Pure Leaf ice tea, which I am enjoying.

The woman at the next table was not real happy with her chicken fettuccini. She said it was gloppy. She said she had the steak on her southbound trip a couple of weeks ago it was great.

Back