New dining options (flex dining) effective October 1, 2019

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

lordsigma

OBS Chief
How will they reconcile the fact that the cafe car on most LD trains are very busy with Coach passengers nearly the entire time that they are open? Will that same attendant be preparing meals for sleepers? Not saying that you are wrong, just trying to figure out how that will work...
It’s a legitimate point and I agree it does sound like there could be some problems and I don’t have the answers, but the concept does seem to hint that this is the plan as does Amtrak’s recent five year plan. Perhaps they will operate the car with both LSAs working together.

I would like to see Amtrak try something like the Chuck Wagon on the pre-Amtrak Denver Zephyr. It had a three-man crew (one chef and two waiters). They had three dinner selections (and a la carte selections) that were quick and easy to prepare

railpost

Train Attendant
That's a very good point that you just made. It wasn't only the Denver Zephyr that had run with economy /grill cars either. Many long distance trains especially the ones that went from Chicago to the West Coast ran with a supplementary grill dining/lounge car. The Denver Zephyr ran with a Chuck Wagon Car, the California Zephyr ran with a Domed Buffet Lounge Car that had the "Cable Car Room", the Union Pacific trains had run with Cafe/Lounge Cars on the City of Portland and Denver and they also ran on the City of Los Angeles when it ran combined with the Challenger and the City of Sanfrancisco during the off season during the 1960's. Even the New York Central ran with Grill Diners for people who preferred more limited menus.

crescent-zephyr

Conductor
I would like to see Amtrak try something like the Chuck Wagon on the pre-Amtrak Denver Zephyr. It had a three-man crew (one chef and two waiters). They had three dinner selections (and a la carte selections) that were quick and easy to prepare
The Capitol limited, for a while anyways, had 1 chef and 2 waiters and shared the lsa with the cafe.

I’ve said many times they could have kept the chef and 1 lsa and kept the menu but dropped the table service and we would be in a much better place.

crescent-zephyr

Conductor
How will they reconcile the fact that the cafe car on most LD trains are very busy with Coach passengers nearly the entire time that they are open? Will that same attendant be preparing meals for sleepers? Not saying that you are wrong, just trying to figure out how that will work...
They could have an lsa and a server and save a little $$$.

Group Builder