New dining options (flex dining) effective October 1, 2019

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If they just had one thing with out all the ingredients mixed together. I don't like the ingredients, and I dont like them mixed together.

If they had an adult portion of the spaghetti that was consistently available and a choice of a cheeseburger or some sort of deli sandwich this would be tolerable.

If they just had one thing with out all the ingredients mixed together. I don't like the ingredients, and I dont like them mixed together.

If they had an adult portion of the spaghetti that was consistently available and a choice of a cheeseburger or some sort of deli sandwich this would be tolerable.
How about that par-boiled microwavable pasta that's now available in stores, with a choice of separately packaged sauce?

Did Amtrak lie or mislead in response to the Business Insider inquiry? In the article Amtrak is quoted as saying the following:

"While there were approximately 1,200 customer service cases on flexible dining over the specified period of time, ridership on these six routes during this period exceeded 800K," Amtrak said in a statement. "On each route with flexible dining, at least 80% of customers selected a top range score in customer satisfaction surveys."

What relevance is the 800,000 ridership number? We know 800,000 riders didn't try the flexible dining; only sleeping car PAX were offered flexible dining, and not all of them tried them.

The 1,200 customer service cases were generated by a much smaller group than 800,000 riders, yet Amtrak makes it seem otherwise in its response.
What you want to see is what this change in service has done to sleeping car revenue. Of course, interpreting this year's figures is not going to be easy, as revenue has generally tanked for obvious reasons having nothing to do with the change in food service. I think the best you can do is compare sleeping car revenue performance on the Eastern trains for the period October 2018 to March 2019 with the period October 2019 to March 2020. And this has to be "net revenue," as presumably costs would be lower (they had better be lower, otherwise there was no reason to inflict Contemporary Dining on the eastern trains.)

A few brief replies on the dining issue.

* My problem with flex dining is not just with the food, which is bad. It is also with the ambience. I regard rail travel as a sociable experience and the traditional dining car was a focus. Being guided to a communal table with strangers and all of us being served by staff is almost always a memorable experience, making some of the cost of my ticket worthwhile. Picking up a box of fast food and finding a seat, not wanting to intrude on others (I'm from Minnesota), is a crappy experience. For entertainment, pitch your left overs and wrapping into the big cardboard waste basket.

* I am currently a member of Rail Passenger Association and find them very weak on my issue. OTOH, see the following.

* The RPA lobbied for the newly proposed Invest in America Act which removes the infamous "Mica amendment." That is one sentence directing Amtrak to break even on food service, a rationale on which Airplane Anderson relied heavily. If the Act survives it might mean conceiving food service as a customer experience investment, as it was when railroads made money.

My problem with flex dining is not just with the food, which is bad. It is also with the ambience. I regard rail travel as a sociable experience and the traditional dining car was a focus.

Have you ridden one of the contemporary service trains yet? I was surprised how little I missed the table service and ambiance. If the food quality and choices had been decent, I would actually be fine with the service.

I will continue to say they should have kept 1 lsa and 1 chef and served a variation of the traditional dining menu.

Oh my, yes—I recognize that wonderful woman!😊

She was in the dining car for several of my Silver Meteor trips—she always remembered me, seemed truly sorry to see me go when I did a short trip and detrained at ALX, and always gave me a hug.

I am so very glad she got an SCA position😊—I have been wondering what happened to the wonderful people I knew from the dining crews.

I regard rail travel as a sociable experience and the traditional dining car was a focus. Being guided to a communal table with strangers and all of us being served by staff is almost always a memorable experience, making some of the cost of my ticket worthwhile.

I agree.

And I'll add that cruises used to be that way too. For breakfast and lunch, in their MDR, you will be seated with strangers, different strangers each time. My family likes to sleep late, but I am a morning person. I would like to go to the MDR for breakfast by myself, and get seated with 11 others. Now (before the whole covid-19 thing), you get seated by "party" which means I get seated at a table all by myself. I haven't been on another cruise, since that change.

I know you all strongly disagree with me, but IMHO, a sleeper class trip on Amtrak was a lot like a cruise. At least, for both, it sadly use to be.

How do you propose they pay their employees then?
My local regional newspaper's website has viewers who haven't subscribed to their digital edition answer several survey questions (apparently on topics requested by advertisers) to get access to articles. You then can read 5 articles (with a banner ad above each one) before they make you answer more survey questions. If you spring for a digital subscription (or log in as a subscriber to the print edition), you avoid the survey questions altogether, and get fewer ads.

It was a really short blurb. The writer said he enjoyed his trip from Boston to Seattle last year and was glad the EB had full dining and insinulated he wouldn’t do it again if Contemporary dining was offered.

The articles first sentence is, “There's no reason to ride a train across the United States.” All attributed to the food that people hate in his opinion. I guess he had it on his first leg and wasn’t impressed. At least that’s what I got out of it.

A few brief replies on the dining issue.

* My problem with flex dining is not just with the food, which is bad. It is also with the ambience. I regard rail travel as a sociable experience and the traditional dining car was a focus. Being guided to a communal table with strangers and all of us being served by staff is almost always a memorable experience, making some of the cost of my ticket worthwhile. Picking up a box of fast food and finding a seat, not wanting to intrude on others (I'm from Minnesota), is a crappy experience. For entertainment, pitch your left overs and wrapping into the big cardboard waste basket.

* I am currently a member of Rail Passenger Association and find them very weak on my issue. OTOH, see the following.

* The RPA lobbied for the newly proposed Invest in America Act which removes the infamous "Mica amendment." That is one sentence directing Amtrak to break even on food service, a rationale on which Airplane Anderson relied heavily. If the Act survives it might mean conceiving food service as a customer experience investment, as it was when railroads made money.
'Break even' is an ambiguous concept... reasonable food service is due to passengers paying hundreds for sleeping accommodations. I recently asked the dining car attendant who doles out the flex meals what they actually cost Amtrak; and have been told several times there is much waste. I was also told that it costs Amtrak $25 to produce those tiny hot meals and that is how much an employee must pay if they want one. Expenditures and efficiency come into question. I think its reasonable to see a cutback in meal service until covid gets under control [airlines are doing the same]; but then Amtrak must find better efficiencies! Ending on an interesting note... just as the space program is hiring private enterprise groups to build and operate the rockets, why doesn't Amtrak look at subcontracting food service with vendors COMPETING to provide service?!?! 🌈

The same way the print newspaper my wife works for does ... Sell their ads to the advertisers ... that is how it is supposed to work. I should not have to pay to read ads.

The print paper does not require that I read the ads to look at the stories - a website should not require me to look at them either.

Now - back to the regularly scheduled "Flex -Dining" :(

The same way the print newspaper my wife works for does ... Sell their ads to the advertisers ... that is how it is supposed to work. I should not have to pay to read ads.

The print paper does not require that I read the ads to look at the stories - a website should not require me to look at them either.

Now - back to the regularly scheduled "Flex -Dining" :(
Hmm, so the website sells ad space, but they're not supposed to display those ad spaces to non subscribers? Why would someone pay for advertising space if they're not going to be seen?

Hmm, so the website sells ad space, but they're not supposed to display those ad spaces to non subscribers? Why would someone pay for advertising space if they're not going to be seen?
In this case, it doesn't matter. Even with the ad blocker off, you can't get to the detailed story without a subscription.

I hate those news websites that won't let you look at them unless you either subscribe or turn off your ad blocker ... needless to say, did not read the article linked above
The same way the print newspaper my wife works for does ... Sell their ads to the advertisers ... that is how it is supposed to work. I should not have to pay to read ads. The print paper does not require that I read the ads to look at the stories - a website should not require me to look at them either.
It's not the 1950's anymore, most people aren't reading newspapers, and online ads alone won't pay the bills. This is an extremely common problem experienced by thousands of news sources that already vanished while you whistled the day away. If you don't think it's worth it to buy news that's fine but can you please stop complaining about your inability to access something for which you refuse to pay?

It's not the 1950's anymore, most people aren't reading newspapers, and online ads alone won't pay the bills. This is an extremely common problem experienced by thousands of news sources that already vanished while you whistled the day away. If you don't think it's worth it to buy news that's fine but can you please stop complaining about your inability to access something for which you refuse to pay?
A possible option is to try to google for an answer. Too bad everything is so commercialized with those greedy reaches for $$$.

A possible option is to try to google for an answer. Too bad everything is so commercialized with those greedy reaches for $$$.
When adjusted for inflation a day pass to a news website costs about the same as a single newspaper did when I was a boy. As an adult I want to be paid for my work so why would I expect others to work for free? I hate ads and watch a lot of Youtube so I pay $10 per month to remove most of the ads and help support the folks I watch, which seems fair to me. Sure it would be nice if all information was free and living wages were guaranteed to everyone, but we don't live in that kind of society and until we do people are going to need a way to pay the bills. I don't mind breaking out the pitchforks against commercializing content like public records but it's honestly amazing to me that paying for news and entertainment remains a controversial topic. Nobody's getting rich selling news about Amtrak.

Last edited:
I personally don't mind paying for service but if I pay, I don't expect to (in fact I demand I should have the right to not) be tracked, be observed by Google analytics, be spammed with "personalized" or other ads, site cookies, third party cookies, trackers, etc.

I dumped my "free" Yahoo email for a paid service ($3/month) that has outstanding service (same day response to tech issues) and no tracking, no ads, with simple interfacing, instructions and help for all sorts of local email programs, and some amazingly advanced features.
But even if you pay (and I pay Amazon for products), you get spammed with garbage. You have to search for their Non-Privacy page to find you may have to write or call them to "opt out" of SOME "services".
Try using a VPN with a European site and see the differences when you connect to a site via that VPN in the U.S. and in Europe. I barely recognized the site because it was so clean and few, if any, cookies.
When media sites guarantee me that if I pay for their service, none of the garbage will exist, then I'll sign up for it. Otherwise, ad blockers, private windows, constant cookie clearing, cookie blocking, VPNs and more are part of the equation.

And if anyone mentions that newspapers always had ads, remember, they were not on page one, were not IN YOUR FACE,not tracking you, not popping out when your mouse (eye) passed near them ,etc.

Edit: Sorry for supporting the "drift from the topic".

If you don't think it's worth it to buy news that's fine but can you please stop complaining about your inability to access something for which you refuse to pay?

No, I won't stop complaining anymore than you will stop trying to enforce that your view is the only right one ... however, even though we both have the "right" to have and/or state our viewpoint - it is off topic to this thread so why don't we just let this subject drop by the wayside and get back to discussing Amtrak instead of news sites.

Have you ridden one of the contemporary service trains yet? I was surprised how little I missed the table service and ambiance. If the food quality and choices had been decent, I would actually be fine with the service.

I will continue to say they should have kept 1 lsa and 1 chef and served a variation of the traditional dining menu.

Would it be possible (maybe not practical) to have a more luxurious train on a limited basis during the 'high season'?
It would be the 'cruise experience' available once a week. Maybe it would be possible to outsource a private dining car to provide the service

Back