New dining options (flex dining) effective October 1, 2019

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For me one theme recurs in this and other discussions: although Amtrak is one company, there is no (enforced??) uniform service standard in practice. On each trip and with different sleeping car attendants or dining car people, the service is variable. Example: previously for some, attendant's meal service in the room meant getting a white bag that may or may not have included the meal you ordered standard condiments such as a butter or margarine for baked potatoes or bread or, salt/pepper/sugar; ketchup While for others it meant getting a tray lined with linen napkins with a thoughtful provision of all condiments and the right order. Lately there has also been inconsistent diner service: from reservations/no reservations; announcement/no announcement of the diner sitting time. I won't continue. Overall it's difficult as a passenger to have to deal with having people express their impatience with you because whatever you were instructed to do or were told is the process on the last trip is "wrong" the next time. I expect the chaos to continue. In the dim past, I recall that there was more consistency.

Hi Penny,

Is there hot water available on the Silvers? Or would I run the risk of blowing a circuit breaker with a water boiler in my room? Thinking ahead potentially for some Korean cup ramen...
I agree with Anderson. I would not personally use a water boiler for fear of blowing a circuit. I agree that you can get hot water from the sleeper lounge.

Perhaps those of us who can't eat what's offered might take the food and announce: "I can't eat this, but maybe someone in coach can." Then go to coach and give it away. And follow up by calling or mailing a complaint to Amtrak's customer service.
What a wonderful idea! Especially if that were passed on to management viafeedback.

On the other hand, many might consider that inappropriate in that subjecting non-premier travelers to that food might be considered to be an act of terrorism. :)

I agree with Anderson. I would not personally use a water boiler for fear of blowing a circuit. I agree that you can get hot water from the sleeper lounge.

I would suspect that since the outlets in the roomettes are likely built with heavy enough wire (12ga?) to handle hair dryers, there shouldn't be any problem with using a small cup-of-water type heating device. Check the wattage on your hair dryer...1200 to 2000 watts, usually. If your water heating device draws less, you're in luck! If not, I'm sure the SCA knows how to reset the breaker. Perhaps asking the SCA in advance if hair dryers are OK would be the best path to follow.

During October we experienced the Lake Shore Limited* and Crescent** trains (and the new menu) for the first time. Food quality aside, lunch and dinner shares 4 items (5 if you count the "Kid's Meal" (pasta and meatballs) rather than separate lunch and dinner choices. In our trip mentioned, we had 2 breakfasts, 2 lunches, and 3 dinners from the flexible menu. A little more variety would be nice.

On the LSL, the "serving" of meals was was problematic. We lined up at the entrance to the kitchen (galley) placed our order which was prepared; one person at a time. We received our food and returned to a table. When done, we bused our own table. The line for food extended past the first couple of tables (people standing next to you if you were in one of those booths) which restricted movement through the car...the conductor and others had to squeeze through that part of the car.

On the Crescent, the 2 SCA's assisted the LSL in the diner/lounge for dinner and the LSL seemed to be more organized. She would come to your table, take your order and return later with the food. Smoother operation and I tipped her at the end of the trip.

Disappointed that hard boiled eggs were removed from the breakfast menu. How complicated are those to store and serve?

*#48(14) CHI>BUF; #48(16) BUF>NYP
**#19(21) NYP>NOL
This trip was book-ended by #4(11) LAX>CHI AND #1(23) NOL>LAX

On the LSL...
20191017_124147.jpg 20191017_130331.jpg
We later learned that those "trays" were washed and used again!

So as usual.... all the crews are making up how they want to personally do the job.

Or modifying things to help the flow of the train. What may work flawlessly on the LSL may be a hindrance on the Cardinal. From everything I've ready, the crews were not supposed to wait tables. yet, some are, If it helps the flow and eliminates a line that cuts off the through passage, it may be the better way.

Or modifying things to help the flow of the train. What may work flawlessly on the LSL may be a hindrance on the Cardinal. From everything I've ready, the crews were not supposed to wait tables. yet, some are, If it helps the flow and eliminates a line that cuts off the through passage, it may be the better way.

I don’t disagree with you. As with the traditional dining, some crew modifications made a better experience for the customer, some made it a worse experience.

I think there should be a standard experience that guests should expect.

Some of us interpreted "tray" to be the large cafeteria type tray we used to carry 2 or more meals back to our tables, not the little individual tray!

McDonald's provide a more appropriate tray for dine-in meals than the photos show of those Amtrak trays!

Late this month, I'm heading south from Pittsburgh to Tampa on the Silver Star. Then back north on the Silver Meteor three weeks later.

It's been a year since I've taken this trip, so I assume some of the meals are now changed over to the new system. What should I expect in either direction on those Silvers? I'm okay with eating in my roomettes.

Expect the flexible dining situation northbound. What you experienced on the Silver Star last year is still in effect this year. (Eating in your roomette is an option, not a requirement.)

I experienced standing in line for a new-fangled meal back in May (back from Fort Lauderdale), and frankly think everyone would prefer I stay in my room rather than clog up the line. :) :)

McDonald's provide a more appropriate tray for dine-in meals than the photos show of those Amtrak trays!
McDonalds also provides far better breakfast sandwiches (and I'm anything but a fan of their food) as well as better service and also allows one to customize its meals. I never saw a McDonalds person be demanding as to doing service "their way".

McDonalds also provides far better breakfast sandwiches (and I'm anything but a fan of their food) as well as better service and also allows one to customize its meals. I never saw a McDonalds person be demanding as to doing service "their way".
Uh, I've been to plenty of McDonald's where the level of the service was, shall we say, less than optimal.

McDonalds provided trays? The last three McDonalds I went to had only paper bags irrespective of whether you were eating in or taking out. Maybe they ran out of trays (how?) or something.

Back