New flex meal menu (10/06/21)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I'll give them credit for the breakfast improvements.

We'll see about lunch/dinner. On outgoing trip we'll give it a try. Then we can order kosher meal on return if necessary.

"Ask your server about seasonal dessert selections". Hope that doesn't mean "Until we have real meals, we have an excellent selection of brownies and blondies. Would you like one wrapped or unwrapped? Ala carte or just plain?"

Well, I'll give them credit for the breakfast improvements.

We'll see about lunch/dinner. On outgoing trip we'll give it a try. Then we can order kosher meal on return if necessary.

"Ask your server about seasonal dessert selections". Hope that doesn't mean "Until we have real meals, we have an excellent selection of brownies and blondies. Would you like one wrapped or unwrapped? Ala carte or just plain?"
Only during months with "B"s in their name. If you eat them out of season, you'll get browniosis.

I noticed both shrimp meals are gone. I probably "enjoyed" them the most. I'll be on the CONO and Crescent next month.

Yeah the menus were much larger last summer. You had at least 8 choices of flex "dinners".

I just noticed something. The picture is not very clear, but the fine print on the bottom right says "Egg substitute available on request." Does that mean the omelet will be cooked to order? Dare we hope the French toast will be too? Will we be able to mix and match as in olden days, like swap sausage for bacon, or add potatoes to the French toast?

I just noticed something. The picture is not very clear, but the fine print on the bottom right says "Egg substitute available on request." Does that mean the omelet will be cooked to order? Dare we hope the French toast will be too? Will we be able to mix and match as in olden days, like swap sausage for bacon, or add potatoes to the French toast?

It means they'll give you a heated packaged omelet made with an egg substitute, not a real egg. As far as I can gather, these are just new menu items, they're not adding a cook to the staff.

Nice thought but I seriously doubt it.

Yeah the menus were much larger last summer. You had at least 8 choices of flex "dinners".

On the Covid western trains flex menu there were 8 - in the east it’s been pretty much 5 choices all along (and an occasional extra that’s not on the menu.) this menu is basically a refresh of the five dinner options and an extra breakfast choice - omelette looks like it could be slightly different too. So for breakfast there’s a little more choices - for lunch/dinner it’s basically status quo.

IMO, the new dinner menu doesn't appear to be much of an improvement over the previous one. The selections have shrunken. It is a disappointment. If we must eat fast food how about a Chicken pot pie, Open turkey sandwich with gravy & vegetables, Lobster Roll, Meatloaf or Seafood au gratin? You can get a far better meal at even a budget place like Panara Bread
As stated above it hasn’t shrunken - it was five choices before and five now - this is more just the latest refresh than a dramatically new menu. The enchiladas and pasta and meatballs haven’t changed - the beef and chicken options were slightly changed and they went from the shrimp/andouille to the salmon thing. Additional choices were offered on the western trains when flexible dining was what was offered there. I don’t think this has any bearing on long term plans - they did a “refresh” to the flexible dining not too big long before they announced the return of traditional dining in the west. Previous menu here:

https://www.amtrak.com/content/dam/...nus/routes/Flexible-Dining-Menu-East-0221.pdf

Last edited:
There are some good sounding entrees. Looking at the beverage list, no more half bottles of wine? Is $8.50/glass a bit pricey for a glass of wine? I am not familiar with the quality of Barefoot Wines. Is that an improvement?
Restaurant wine prices are always inflated compared to what you pay at the liquor store. The Chicago restaurant menus I'm checking over sell wine by the glass for $10 - $20 for basic decent wine.

Possibly the first time I've ever seen "budget" used in connection with Panera...
Most people probably save luxurious dining experiences like Panera for special occasions such as birthdays and anniversaries but I think the point is that Amtrak sleeper fares can costs thousands compared to Panera's ten dollar entrees.

There are some good sounding entrees. Looking at the beverage list, no more half bottles of wine? Is $8.50/glass a bit pricey for a glass of wine? I am not familiar with the quality of Barefoot Wines. Is that an improvement?
If I recall correctly, you had to go to the cafe to get the half bottles. The wine in the flex diners has been Barefoot for some time I believe. Barefoot is drinkable but not the greatest. In the traditional dining cars they had a somewhat better selection, Kendall Jackson for the white, I don't recall the red as I don't drink red.

I'm guessing this does not apply to the Auto Train (especially the yogurt, crumble cake, cereal, and banana they offer for breakfast)? Something irks me after spending a grand plus for an overnight bedroom and getting cold options for breakfast!

I'm guessing this does not apply to the Auto Train (especially the yogurt, crumble cake, cereal, and banana they offer for breakfast)? Something irks me after spending a grand plus for an overnight bedroom and getting cold options for breakfast!
Auto Train is its own deal - traditional dining dinner and a continental breakfast as you described for sleeper - Cafe in CCC car for coach - you might also be able to buy a Jimmy Dean in the CCC and sleeper lounge cars. CCC has a full cafe menu - the sleeper lounge is mainly booze and I think they also have the burgers, pizzas, and maybe hot dogs also.

Back to flexible dining - I will amend my previous comment to say - there will be less choices now on the Texas Eagle as they are switching to the same menu as the east......but my comment on switching 5 for 5 applies to all others.

Auto Train is its own deal - traditional dining dinner and a continental breakfast as you described for sleeper - Cafe in CCC car for coach - you might also be able to buy a Jimmy Dean in the CCC and sleeper lounge cars. CCC has a full cafe menu - the sleeper lounge is mainly booze and I think they also have the burgers, pizzas, and maybe hot dogs also.

Thanks

On the Auto Train we've learned to bring wine and a cooler with snacks/cheese/sandwiches - for those times when a 12 hour delay (our FIRST Amtrak experience) occurs!

As it stands now - we simply forgo breakfast, and hit a drive thru somewhere after getting our car.

Back