New from North Carolina

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello,

I am a new member of Amtrak Unlimited. I traveled many times on Amtrak in the 1970s and 80s. A recent desire to do a calming vacation brought me back to Amtrak. However, my first reintroduction brought disappointment as my accommodations on the cross-country trip were altered without notifying me. I found out when checking on another matter that our bedroom on the California Zephyr had been downgraded to coach seats. The rest is too long of a story to be told in a blog.

We have since decided to make a trip from LA to San Francisco on the Coast Starlight. I am wondering the best way to get form the chartered motorcoach to our hotel?

Hello,

I am a new member of Amtrak Unlimited. I traveled many times on Amtrak in the 1970s and 80s. A recent desire to do a calming vacation brought me back to Amtrak. However, my first reintroduction brought disappointment as my accommodations on the cross-country trip were altered without notifying me. I found out when checking on another matter that our bedroom on the California Zephyr had been downgraded to coach seats. The rest is too long of a story to be told in a blog.

We have since decided to make a trip from LA to San Francisco on the Coast Starlight. I am wondering the best way to get form the chartered motorcoach to our hotel?
Welcome to Amtrak Unlimited. Sorry about your downgrade from bedroom to coach. It happened to me also, but I knew well in advance (and canceled the trip).

I would suggest starting a new thread in the Amtrak Rail Discussion forum. Name it something like "Getting to hotel in SF", and include the general area of your hotel in your post. Not everybody on the board reads the New Member Introductions.

Last time I took Amtrak to SF they were using a temporary bus station, but it had a waiting room, baggage claim, etc. Now they just drop you off on Mission St. I would think Uber or Lyft could pick you up, but you'd probably be waiting outside.

If you want to use transit, you could try using Google Maps in transit mode. The nearest BART/Muni station is about a quarter-mile walk away on Market St @ Montgomery. There are buses on Mission St., but I think the Amtrak bus stop is in the middle of the block, so you'd still have to walk a half block or so.

Back