New from Toledo

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Quaking Widow

Train Attendant
Hello, I’m a widow living in Toledo. I’ve taken one other trip on Amtrak in 2019 to Kansas City. That was a great experience, so now that Covid crisis has passed I decided to travel to my sister’s in the San Antonio area. Texas Eagle— could it be the neglected step child?

I’ve ridden trains in Europe while traveling in Scandinavia. It feels like in the US they are playing nostalgia trains, trying to give us an authentic 19th century experience! The truth is that I’d love to like the trains. I don’t like driving long distance anymore, and I hate flying— very stressful. But I love travel. But the high prices and terrible ride are certainly an impediment to more train travel.

Welcome to AU. Since the Texas Eaglette is my Home Train , I can confirm it's become an Orphan as far as Amtrak is concerned.( and at Sky High Prices!🤬)

At least the Trains you catch in Toledo aren't in the Wee Hours! Heading West to Chicago it's a Day Trip,and heading East it' is late @ night, but you can Sleep across Ohio!

Flying is not most Members here First Choice, but it definitely is Quick and Less Expensivd than LD Sleeper Travel.( Coach is more
Competitive and more Comfortable than Airline Coach.)

On this trip, I left Toledo at 5:20 am, but had to be there 45 min before to check my bag. I’m scheduled to get back to Toledo at 11:39 pm. I have some great neighbors who offered to drive me both ways, b/c the station is not in a great location.

Agree that train Coach is much more relaxing and comfortable than by plane. If we start getting inter urban service again, I may get around more in Ohio, if I live that long!!!

Back