New here, family of 5 new to Amtrak

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am always amazed at folks raving about the Glacier Park views on EB. In my opinion you don't see very much and the real glory of Glacier is the peaks often silhouetted against lakes such as the view from the porch of the Many Glacier hotel.

If scenery is the choice over expediency then the Zephyr to the Coast Starlight is much preferred, but given the ages of the travelers that might be overkill.

However you go, it will be something you and the kids will remember forever.

Here are a few pictures we took on our eastbound Empire Builder trip in July of 2000. Our kids don't recall all the interesting scenery from the trip, but do have a general recall of the types of landscapes we went through. Don't expect them to be glued to the windows the whole time. They biggest memories they have now are of the dining car experiences and the little mishaps that occurred along the way.

Dave

If you keep the kids in the lounge car, they won't be able to resist looking out those huge windows to see the scenery. There's also a large steam locomotive to see around 3 PM. It's on display adjacent to the Havre, MT depot.

Tom

I am always amazed at folks raving about the Glacier Park views on EB. In my opinion you don't see very much and the real glory of Glacier is the peaks often silhouetted against lakes such as the view from the porch of the Many Glacier hotel.

If scenery is the choice over expediency then the Zephyr to the Coast Starlight is much preferred, but given the ages of the travelers that might be overkill.

However you go, it will be something you and the kids will remember forever.
I can testify to the 'remember forever'. I was about 6-7 when I did a long distance train with my Grandmother (SLC to Portland on a line that's not around any more). I remember the Columbia river gorge; a retiring conductor throwing his hat out of the window; old (heritage?) cars with illuminated handrails; playing with legos at our seats; friendly staff; and getting out of school a week early was also pretty sweet!

Personally, I recommend ear plugs and eye pillows. They help me sleep on the train, especially in situations where the sleeping cars are towards the front of the train and you're closer to the all-night blaring of the horn. And even with curtains drawn, flickering lights can still get in when passing through lighted areas. The sound of the train horn and passing lights while on a Viewliner (passing through the more populous east coast area) were causing problems my first night until I remembered I had both ear plugs and eye shades.

I can testify to the 'remember forever'.
This.

I spent my first 5 years in New York, in the early 50s. We took the train everywhere, and even at my age, it struck me as special. I remember seeing a GG1 (yeah, even at age 5), I remember looking at the train next to us pull out of the station, so smooth and quiet - and then I realized that it was *us* that were moving. I remember rides to Philly, Toronto and other places.

The kids will have moments where they're bored, where they're amazed, and when they'll want more.

It's all part of the experience. Just roll with it.

I suggest bringing audio books so everyone can look out the window and read at the same time. That way you don't miss the odd little things that appear unexpectedly outside the window and are gone just as suddenly -- like a group of deer in a cow pasture or a backyard wedding -- but you don't get bored doing nothing but staring out the window hour after hour when there isn't all that much to see. The downside, of course, is that everyone will need his or her own e-reader. Also, even in areas of beautiful scenery, please don't expect the kids to be enthralled. I remember learning about the stages of brain development in a psych class in college. We learned that most people don't develop much appreciation for aesthetics until their mid to late teens. That really resonated with me because every fall my mom would insist on family drives through the mountains to look at the colorful foliage. My sister and I hated wasting weekend afternoons like that when we could be outside playing with our friends. Mom used to get so frustrated with us because we didn't share her enthusiasm. Now I enjoy viewing scenery and visiting art museums very much, but as a kid -- no.

Having recently traveled with our 3 & 5 year old grandkids we took one tablet for movies to watch when it was dark out. They each brought there own backpack with train appropriate activities. (I screwed up when I downloaded the movies and it didn't work when it was supposed to ;-)

We have taken our own children on many road trips & RV camping even when it rained. Some of their best memories were of the crazy things we did when we were being creative with things we could do.

My husband and I have travelled in the family bedroom and we love having both sides of the train to look out of. It will be small but very doable. I would not bring extra pillows or blankets. I would check all extra bags, let each of the kids bring whatever they could carry and then bring 1 suitcase for all your clothing etc. You can keep it outside your room in the luggage area and bring it in your room when it was time to change.

I would also take turns at mealtimes and have 1 parent go with 1 child earlier & then the other could take the other 2. This way you can meet some other people and then the other people get a little extra room in the room for awhile. It's just fun to mix things up.

Ah, speaking of early memories. I guess that I could not have been more than five years old when we embarked on the first LD train ride that I remember. I remember that we flew to New York from Texas to visit someone, and we took the train back. I specifically remember my mother muttering unpleasant and unladylike things about that "danged PennCentral and their horrible service". You have to remember that her father was an engineer for the Rock Island Line, so that is the level of service she was comparing it to. The only images that still stand out in my mind 50 years later is riding in a dome car, and seeing some very urban areas and some heavy industry-like zones for miles. I do remember us stopping on an elevated bridge and being able to look down on the street traffic below. I do believe it was when we were nearing Chicago, but that is only an impression - not a reliable memory. I also remember at one time crossing what seemed like miles of open water while in a rail car. Are there tracks across Lake Pontchartrain? That was later when we may have been visiting other relatives "back east".

The only other memories I have train related are riding the local commuter trains from Great Lakes Naval Training Center into Chicago when I was still 17. That was an adventure every time for me. While the cars were spartan and adequate for the task, I remember thinking how lucky those folks were being able to just hop on a train and actually get somewhere useful. That was 1980.

Empire Builder Westbound is probably a nicer trip if you want to see Glacier National Park in sunlight. However, you'll miss the Colombia River Gorge - which for me, was the most spectacular part of the trip.
It should be light for the gorge both eastbound and westbound, no? Wishram shows 7:30AM and that's before the gorge westbound, and that's if the train is on time. Sunrise at Wishram is 5:52AM on May 1.

I'd worry more about losing Glacier to darkness since the westbound train will likely have picked up some delays by then. Although May 1 sunset at Essex is 8:47PM and scheduled arrival is 7:41PM.

What I remember most about riding trains at that age was never being in my seat. My brothers and I would walk the train from end to end. Back then, even the restrooms were luxurious and had lots of interesting highlights...While they won't be hanging out in today's bleak restrooms, there are so many other unique offerings on the train that remain. Just seeing the variety of passengers stretched out in coach is still interesting to me today. I never experienced a sleeper when I was little, but I think I still would have wanted to see every part of the train, numerous times...

Reviving this thread with some last minute questions...

Can someone walk me through exactly what to do when we get to Union Station (DC) to check in? If friends give us a ride to Union Station, is there a certain entrance that is best to be dumped off at? Where is this lounge that you speak of? What exactly are Red Caps, and what are all of the wonders that they perform? How early should we arrive at Union Station for a 4:05 pm departure?

For quicker seating and service in the Dining Car, what times would you recommend moseying over to it for each meal?

Are temperatures in Family Bedrooms always comfortable for sleeping? If people get cold, are extra blankets obtainable?

Union Station is located @ 50 Mass Ave. NE so use the Front Entrance after being dropped off! You can also ride Amtrak trains, VRE and MARC Commuter Trains and Metro Subway and Buses to reach it! The Greyhound Station and other buses also are located in the Parking Garage by the Station.

Club Acela is located behind Gate C on the Main Concourse behind the Amtrak Ticket Counters, look for the Brown wooden Doors, you ring the buzzer to gain admission.( You'll come in the Front Doors, pass all the various stores, restaurants etc.in the front room, pass the Amtrak Ticket Counters to the Main Concourse where the Boarding Gates are. The food court us located in the Basement and the Upscale Mall is on several levels all around you.

Tell the Lounge Agent @ the desk when you check in that you want a Red Cap to board, they will cone and get you about 30 minutes before General Boarding inside the Lounge and take you to your train. The Cap Ltd. Is rather far from the lounge so they'll take you on a Cart with your Luggage. Since thete are so many of you, a $10 tip would be appreciated!

They'll take you and your Luggage right to your room on the train! Be sure and have your tickets scanned by the Conductor so your continuing rez isn't canceled.

As for Meal reservations, you'll need a Dinner Rez/ the Diner LSA will come to your car to let you pick you your time. You might want to mention that to your SCA( Sleeping Car attendant,) their Roomette is #1 upstairs next to the Bathroom) when boarding your car, they will great you as you board.

Breakfast will be first come, first served starting @ 630am,usually after the stop in Toledo. The earlier the better if you don't want to have to get on a waiting list!

As for what time to arrive @ Union Station I'd say that arriving no later than 230pm would be prudent, 215 pm would be even better, you'll have the Lounge to wait in and the Red Caps will get you to the train before General boarding by the Coach Passengers.

You'll have the bedding and linens you need with your room, but if it gets too cold your SCA will provide additional blankets, pillows, towels etc. upon request.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jim knows what he's talking about. He's got smart brains. Frankly, you're overthinking this. Take it easy. You can pretty much go with the flow and ask questions when you need to, although Jim's tips (and most everything else posted here) are worth knowing.

What's a Redcap? They handle luggage for passengers. They got the name because they always wore red caps. When those newfangled flying machines came along, the name wasn't good enough for the hoity-toity people who flew them, so they adopted a new name: Skycap. I never understood that. "Skycap" is a meaningless term, unless the person in question is an airhead. I'd prefer to think those folks are smarter than a balloon, but what do I know? I don't fly much.

Tom

I'll disagree with my friend Jim on three points:

1. The Club Acela is between gates D and E - once in the gate area, move towards the center, the door to the Club Acela is underneath the walkway to the garage. You'll see an escalator going up, walk towards that.

2. The outbound Cap usually boards from Track 14 or 15, right outside the door to the Club Acela. Since you're in a room, there's no reason to have a redcap, unless you're mobility impaired.

3. 2:15/2:30 is way too early to be at the station, especially with kids that will be easily bored before you board. 3 or even 3:30 will be more than sufficient.

There is no "check in" needed like at an airport. The only time you may need to go to the ticket counter in your case is if you need to purchase your tickets or if you have baggage to check. Otherwise, you can proceed straight to the Club Acela. To find it easier, it is directly behind the information desk in the center of the boarding/waiting area.

And I personally use a Red Cap. They can provide early boarding and bring you and your bags to the train in a golf cart.

Thanks for the corrections Ryan/ Gate C was a typo, I know its between D and E!

I still say that using a Red Cap from the CA is the best way to go since they are a family of 5 with luggage and the Red Cap will take them right to their Car and Room before the thundering herd! They don't seem like experienced Amtrak travelers and Union Station, as we know, can be a zoo!

As for the time to arrive, since kiddos are involved and Washington traffic can be a mess, I still think arriving by 230pm is prudent, that gives them an hour and a half leeway. The food court is handy if the kids get hungry ( there's a MickeyDs/LOL!), there's snacks in the Club and they can put their stuff in the bag closet behind the check in desk if they want to look around Union Station a bit while waiting to board.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah we are familiar with Union Station (except the Amtrak bit, LOL!) and know there's plenty to do there. I'd rather plan to be there ridiculously early to allow for traffic snafus, kids needing to camp out in the bathroom (!), buy last minute necessities etc.

I think my kids would get a kick out of riding around in a golf cart. :)

Yeah we are familiar with Union Station (except the Amtrak bit, LOL!) and know there's plenty to do there. I'd rather plan to be there ridiculously early to allow for traffic snafus, kids needing to camp out in the bathroom (!), buy last minute necessities etc.

I think my kids would get a kick out of riding around in a golf cart. :)
If you are a young family, I would walk to the train and enjoy the experience with the kids.

Being downstairs in the family room makes getting off at 'smoke stops' really easy. I'd get off at every one if I was traveling with children and let them run a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back