New member from Clearwater, FL

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

Hi all.. so glad to be part of this forum. Have booked my first long distance ride on the California Zephyr departing Chicago to Emeryville on Aug 13th. So excited to take this trip. Any chance anyone else from here will be onboard as well?? Have a roomette booked. Any advice for a newbie?

AmtrakBlue

Engineer
Gathering Team Member
Welcome to AU. You'll get lots of advice. Some good, and some not so good. :)

If you haven't already found it, there's a forum here that's for new riders. Not sure how up-to-date it is, especially considering COVID, etc.

Rasputin

Conductor
Welcome aboard. A sleep mask is a great thing whether you are in a sleeping car or in coach. I wish I had known this years ago. I think I would have gotten a lot more sleep.

On the CZ, I would suggest that you try to get a good seat in the Sightseer lounge car in the morning before the train departs Denver. The scenery is tremendous. If there are no seats in the lounge car, stand up until a seat opens up. The scenery the next day going through the Sierras is also great.

hope you have a great trip.

jiml

Engineer
AU Supporter
Greetings from a Canadian who spends 2-3 weeks in Clearwater every year until this one. Hope things are recovering and all the great places are still in business! Enjoy your Amtrak trip. Are you flying to Chicago first?

Dustyroad

Service Attendant
Hi all.. so glad to be part of this forum. Have booked my first long distance ride on the California Zephyr departing Chicago to Emeryville on Aug 13th. So excited to take this trip. Any chance anyone else from here will be onboard as well?? Have a roomette booked. Any advice for a newbie?
Hello and welcome. When I travel on the train I keep my larger bag down below in the storage area when you first board. Then my small carry-on and back/pack can be put on the first step going up to upper bunk which I never use. You will need essentials for your nights and days on the train getting to your destination. Take plenty of hand sanitizer, lysol wipes & snacks and a '''I'm going to have a great trip '' attitude and you trip will be a wonderful one. Our traditional Dining with real food will be available again so you are in luck there. You can find your menu for your train on the Amtrak site under experience if you haven't yet.
Have a great trip.