New member from LA that’s Los Angeles

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am a devoted train rider with my bicycle only to get to remote rides. I don’t own a car and don’t like the hassles of bikes on airplanes.

I tried riding with my wife once to Oregon for the total eclipse in 2017(?) but she didn’t appreciate the lifestyle onboard. We are still married though (51 years). 9410619E-4904-4B82-B29C-703F7355250E.jpeg

We saw that eclipse too. Canceled our train reservation when there were no rental cars available. (Hotels were all full too, so we needed a car to get to our VRBO in Newburg.) It was a beautiful eclipse though. Headed to Mazatlan for the one on April 8.

We saw that eclipse too. Canceled our train reservation when there were no rental cars available. (Hotels were all full too, so we needed a car to get to our VRBO in Newburg.) It was a beautiful eclipse though. Headed to Mazatlan for the one on April 8.
We were early enough to get a hotel in downtown Portland for a few days prior and a rental car for the day trip to a viewing area and to the airport afterwards. I was amused to get an unprecedented call from the Avis office a week before to make sure we still wanted the rental car. Apparently they were vacuuming up all the available cars within reasonable distance to meet demand. Maybe they ran out of places to park them.

I was lucky enough to have the 2017 eclipse come right over my home - not the center line, but still 2 minutes of total eclipse, so that was a win. Got the loan of a sun-viewing scope as well, and some info on how to make a filter for my spotting scope, so all our friends came to US for a change (living in the middle of nowhere, we usually have to drive for a visit, or a train).
eclips5-u.jpg

Bicycling is pretty big around here. My nearest "big town," John Day, is on the BikeAmerica route (US 26). I live in a place where only back road bikes are useful, LOL.

Back