New member from Washington with questions about routing

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

willieweed

Train Attendant
In the past 30 years I've traveled on the empire builder as far as LaCrosse, Wisconsin; The Starlight and Texas Eagle to Tucson. Now I'd like some feedback on how I should schedule a trip from Seattle to Chicago, then West to either Sacramento or L.A. and back to Seattle without having a layover.

In the past 30 years I've traveled on the empire builder as far as LaCrosse, Wisconsin; The Starlight and Texas Eagle to Tucson. Now I'd like some feedback on how I should schedule a trip from Seattle to Chicago, then West to either Sacramento or L.A. and back to Seattle without having a layover.
You won't be able to avoid a Layover in Chicago since all the Western LD Trains arrive too late to make connections heading back West.

I suggest you take the Empire Builder(#8) from Seattle to Chicago, spend a night, then catch the California Zephyr ( #5) from Chicago to Sacramento, do a few hours layover there, then take the Coast Starlight ( #14) to Seattle.

There are many Trip Reports and threads discussing this kind of LD Trip on AU. Please read them and ask questions and for tips, lots of good folks on this Forum who love to help!

Last edited:
Welcome. Just enjoy a night in the windy City. Stay at a hotel by the lake and enjoy the views and a night there. Just not having to worry about missed connections is worth a night's stay.
The Zephyr between Denver and the west coast is not to be missed.

If you take the Empire Builder east you will need a layover. On the other hand the California Zepher and SW Chief cross paths from Galesburg to Chicago so you could transfer there.

If you take the Empire Builder east you will need a layover. On the other hand the California Zepher and SW Chief cross paths from Galesburg to Chicago so you could transfer there.
Technically correct, but you'd have to spend around 18 Hours in Sacramento if you connect from the Coast Starlight to the Zephyr, and then hope that the Zephyr isn't running late into Galesburg!

I would be more concerned that the CS might be late to EMY. My schedule shows the CS to SAC at 6:35a and the CZ at 11:09a so that isn't so bad.
There is almost six hours layover in Galesburg but I would be using that opportunity for a restaurant meal.

Does the newer schedule change things that much?

You have few choices. In the direction you suggested:
(1) There is no way to avoid a layover in Chicago. You have to stay overnight.
(2) There is no way to avoid a layover in Sacramento. You have to stay overnight.
(3) You can avoid the layover in LA, but it's tight. If the Southwest Chief gets in 2 hours late, you miss the Coast Starlight.

Sacramento:
Empire Builder from Seattle to Chicago
California Zephyr from Chicago to Sacramento
Coast Starlight from Sacramento to Seattle

Los Angeles:
Southwest Chief from Chicago to LA
Coast Starlight from LA to Seattle

If you do the trip in the other direction:
(1) There is still no way to avoid a layover in Chicago. You have to stay overnight.
(2) You can go through Sacramento with no layover -- 3.5 hours between trains
(3) You would need an overnight layover if you go via LA.

Sacramento:
Coast Starlight from Seattle to Sacramento
California Zephyr from Sacramento to Chicago
Empire Builder from Chicago to Seattle

Los Angeles:
Coast Starlight from Seattle to LA
Southwest Chief from LA to Chicago

This is all made worse and more complicated by the current less-than-daily schedule, but that's the situation if the trains are running daily.

You have few choices. In the direction you suggested:
(1) There is no way to avoid a layover in Chicago. You have to stay overnight.
(2) There is no way to avoid a layover in Sacramento. You have to stay overnight.
(3) You can avoid the layover in LA, but it's tight. If the Southwest Chief gets in 2 hours late, you miss the Coast Starlight.

Sacramento:
California Zephyr from Chicago to Sacramento
Coast Starlight from Sacramento to Seattle

Los Angeles:
Southwest Chief from Chicago to LA
Coast Starlight from LA to Seattle

If you do the trip in the other direction:
(1) There is still no way to avoid a layover in Chicago. You have to stay overnight.
(2) You can go through Sacramento with no layover -- 3.5 hours between trains
(3) You would need an overnight layover if you go via LA.

Sacramento:
Coast Starlight from Seattle to Sacramento
California Zephyr from Sacramento to Chicago

Los Angeles:
Coast Starlight from Seattle to LA
Southwest Chief from LA to Chicago

This is all made worse and more complicated by the current less-than-daily schedule, but that's the situation if the trains are running daily.

You don’t need to overnight in Sacramento in either direction. Westbound, the Zephyr gets into SAC mid afternoon, and the northbound Starlight has a departure around midnight. So it will be a long connection and late-night departure, but not “overnight.”

I wonder if Amtrak and the USA will ever adopt 24 hour clock time for schedules and timetables - like the rest of the world. It's amazing how doing so avoids the AM/PM claptrap.
Same day they adopt Metric :D

I wonder if Amtrak and the USA will ever adopt 24 hour clock time for schedules and timetables - like the rest of the world. It's amazing how doing so avoids the AM/PM claptrap.
I think a large portion of the American public who are not railfans and have no military service are not comfortable with the 24-hour clock. I still have to stop and consciously convert it sometimes.

True. Maybe if 24 hour clocks were more common it would help. But to me it makes good sense for a printed timetable. I guess online could have a mouseover or something.

Yes, lets carry that further and use Zulu, avoids PDT, CST, etc.!⌚

Thanks to all who responded. I may skip the EB and go south on the CS to make a loop on the Zephyr and Chief.
You should be able to do the loop with no stops if they are reasonably on time. There could be some tight connections.
SEA EMY*
EMY CHI**
CHI LAX
LAX SEA

*Sacramento is a safer connection if you are running late. Anywhere between SAC and EMY could be an excellent opportunity to get some good food.

**Galesburg or another town before you get to Chicago as the schedule is very tight and the Zepher is often late. Another opportunity for getting a good meal and food for the trip.

There are just a few other opportunities to get off the train long enough to get some food, depending on the train's performance. Denver and Albuquerque might be a couple of those.

I strongly recommend the Sacramento connection, which is safe (you are very unlikely to miss the connection). Sacramento station is near Sacramento Old Town so it's a good place to hang out while waiting for your next train.

I have worked up a schedule as follows: Depart OLY on Starlight to Sacramento; Zephyr to Galesburg; Galesburg to LAX; LAX to OLY. Should be a seamless ride except for the LAX connection to the Starlight.
How does one book these trains so that Amtrak is aware of my connections?

I have worked up a schedule as follows: Depart OLY on Starlight to Sacramento; Zephyr to Galesburg; Galesburg to LAX; LAX to OLY. Should be a seamless ride except for the LAX connection to the Starlight.
How does one book these trains so that Amtrak is aware of my connections?
If the connection you want is not offered on the basic booking page, try making a Multi-City ticket. On the web, before entering the cities, click on One-Way or Round-Trip above the From field. Multi-City is another option on that drop-down menu.

I don't think the option is available on the app.

Back