New member long time Amtrak traveller

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi I live in Eastern Maine but currently in Central Massachusetts ready to depart on a trip to the Southwest via the Lake Shore Limited and SWC returning from Colorado on the Zephyr. Been a train rider since the Penn Central days then Antrak off and on mostly on the Northeast Corridor but have also ridden the Montrealer and Broadway Limited as well as the Lake Shore Limited. Currently retired so my wife and I are on this 2 week trip. I will try to report on it as I complete each leg.

More about my background. I was born in England and lived there for 7 years across from a railway that still ran steam at the time which explains my interest. Family emigrated to Canada then to Boston MA where I became fascinated by the trolleys and subways.

I went off to school in PA and found I could travel home and back by train, Penn Central in those days. Started a 40 year career as a software developer after a couple of years working in a steel mill. Also met my wife who happily loves train travel. We have been on several trips including Philadelphia to Sydney NS via the Montrealer, the VIA Atlantic and local RDC to Sydney, sadly none of these trains exist anymore. We also took the Canadian both ways Montreal to Vancouver.

For a while we were doing cruises but due to COVID and restrictions we decided to do a domestic trip this time by train naturally.

I am now retired but volunteer as a motorman/conductor at the Seashore Trolley Museum in Kennebunkport Maine. Also church and working at the local food pantry keep me busy. I am also a licensed ham radio operator.

Back