New Menus on #8

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for posting.  It looks like some prices may have gone up and some menu items have changed slightly.  Thyme chicken used to be served with rice (not mashed) previously.  I think they updated the desserts.  It looks like flourless chocolate cake is now on the menu, although it has been served for a few months.

Last edited by a moderator:
A very nice looking menu; much better than the previous.  I'm sure these will be rolling out in the coming days on other trains that still carry a true Diner.

Looks like the route specific branding on the cover is gone. Probably cheaper to do a generic national printing than different covers for each route - especially since the insides were the same. The new menu’s presentation seems more attractive in my opinion.

One thing that somewhat irks me here is the lack of any mention of the route name or logos. I know that all the trains with full service diners have the same selection, but it was still just nice for there to be some semblance of variation. Plus I do have a soft spot for those route posters/logos.  ^_^

EDIT: LOL. 1@MSP_Train_Hopper[/USER]’s reply just showed up. Great minds think alike!

When I saw the pictures of the new menus, I was afraid to look at the items, thinking that we were ambushed and they were rolling out the CL/LSL type of offerings, thus the new look. All I can say after reading the items hadn’t changed is “whew!”

One thing I don’t see is a dessert listing.

Pretty good lookin' menu.  Hope they keep and improve the "cooked to order" aspect.  

I may be wrong, but IIRC, when I enjoyed the "Land and Sea" on the Crescent in November, the "sea" part was a mix of crab, scallop, and shrimp in a cake...not just crab... :unsure:

The "Land and Sea" combo that existed never did much for me (I think the term "Random Crap-cake" comes to mind), so the shift to a "straight" crabcake is a nice change.  Haven't properly had those in the diners for quite a while.  The only thing that surprises me a little is that if they've got crabcakes as part of the land and sea combo, they don't also offer a two-crabcake dinner option as well.

(Also, is my memory failing me or was there a crabcake-with-breakfast option they had about 5-6 years back?)

When I saw the pictures of the new menus, I was afraid to look at the items, thinking that we were ambushed and they were rolling out the CL/LSL type of offerings, thus the new look. All I can say after reading the items hadn’t changed is “whew!”

One thing I don’t see is a dessert listing.
Same here. My wife and I have always enjoyed the full dining car since we found train travel. The food is surprisingly good and meeting new people at each meal is a great part of the train ride experience. We choose Anytime Dining on a cruise for the same reason. We live in NE part of Louisiana and will always drive west to Longview, Tx for Texas Eagle or east to Meridian, MS for Crescent to avoid riding the CONO because it has the limited dining menu.

The "Land and Sea" combo that existed never did much for me (I think the term "Random Crap-cake" comes to mind), so the shift to a "straight" crabcake is a nice change.  Haven't properly had those in the diners for quite a while.  The only thing that surprises me a little is that if they've got crabcakes as part of the land and sea combo, they don't also offer a two-crabcake dinner option as well.
I never cared much for the crab cake thing either but my wife likes them and would love having the two crab cake option. A couple times we both ordered Land and Sea so she could have two. I can't nearly handle two steaks but they will leave the steak off her order so she gets what she wants that way.

Same here. My wife and I have always enjoyed the full dining car since we found train travel. The food is surprisingly good and meeting new people at each meal is a great part of the train ride experience. We choose Anytime Dining on a cruise for the same reason. We live in NE part of Louisiana and will always drive west to Longview, Tx for Texas Eagle or east to Meridian, MS for Crescent to avoid riding the CONO because it has the limited dining menu.
I just got done with a trip to NOL last month and didn’t mind the food on the NB CONO, however took the Cardinal to the Crescent, in part to avoid the SB CONO’s menu. (Main reason I did it that way was to experience riding the Crescent period) The menus were exactly the same on the NB CONO as the Cardinal.....limited but I didn’t mind the beef on the Cardinal so I had it again on the CONO.

For comparison, the previous menu is still on Amtrak.com. They have booted a couple of dinner options and removed all reference to the ACAT program, though they kept the breakfast and dinner options that came from it. 

I just got done with a trip to NOL last month and didn’t mind the food on the NB CONO, however took the Cardinal to the Crescent, in part to avoid the SB CONO’s menu. (Main reason I did it that way was to experience riding the Crescent period) The menus were exactly the same on the NB CONO as the Cardinal.....limited but I didn’t mind the beef on the Cardinal so I had it again on the CONO.
For someone who's only Amtrak experience is several long-distance trains I'm curious. On long distance trains such as the City of New Orleans do they still have a dining car you sit and eat with other Amtrak Riders but just has a limited menu?

I will add that I did ride the City of New Orleans in 1988. It was coach from New Orleans to Jackson. It was my first-ever train ride.

For dinner, it looks like the shrimp biryani and the butternut squash risotto are gone.

For lunch the salad has changed.  No more goat cheese.

Breakfast looks to be the same.

One thing that somewhat irks me here is the lack of any mention of the route name or logos. I know that all the trains with full service diners have the same selection, but it was still just nice for there to be some semblance of variation.
Full service dining implies in-house preparation that is cooked-to-order, but on Amtrak that really only applies to the steak* (when available).  Everything else is reheated precooked freezer and pantry food.  The Canadian still has a full service diner, but Amtrak abandoned full service dining a very long time ago.

Also, for those who concerned, if Amtrak ever gets rid of their guacamole you can always bring your own...

guac.jpg

*The eggs are prepared in-house but since you cannot order them any way other than scrambled it doesn't really matter.

For dinner, it looks like the shrimp biryani and the butternut squash risotto are gone.

For lunch the salad has changed.  No more goat cheese.

For breakfast the cheese quesadillas are gone.  Guacamole is no longer available as a side.
Gucamole IS still there...listed under breakfast sides and toppings and lunch toppings. Whew! I always get the guac!

Back