New National Menu February, 2020

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Am I the only one totally out of the loop here about pork? What are you guys talking about? There has been so much advertising lately about bacon being added to everything and pork ribs are everywhere.

Oh and BTW . . . pork in all its forms is delicious!
I'm all for Pork (Bacon/Sausage/Chops) YUMM!
I don't like many green vegetables, but it doesn't bother nor offend me if they are also on the menu:D
ET

I have homes in 2 very different - both religiously and politically - parts of the country (Northeast/NY City area versus deep south/Gulf Coast area), one child living in the mid-west and another living at the foot of the Rocky Mountains.

I've never encountered pork or pork products NOT being available at any restaurant, hotel or supermarket to which I've ever been. Other than those that provide service to particular religious groups or vegetarians, I can't imagine this being a widespread policy. And I definitely don't see Amtrak's clientele being one for which this would cause an issue.

Yeah, I also haven't seen any mass-market grocery store or restaurant not offering pork products specifically. Even the local co-ops offer it here in the Twin Cities. Certain ethnic stores and restaurants may not offer it, but even there I've never found it to be very in-your-face about it.

Spent some time in Saudi Arabia where pork was. . .uh. . . scarce. So scare, the Brits I chummed with told of a comrade who successfully smuggled a caged small pig into the country for a traditional English Christmas ham dinner by telling the inquisitive customs agent (who'd apparently never seen one) it was a Mexican hunting dog!

...bacon being added to everything...
I've bitten into doughnuts, cookies, muffins, and apple pie only to discover they had been tainted by someone's desire to add bacon to almost everything. I didn't find it offensive so much as clumsy and unwarranted. Fresh bacon is an excellent match alongside eggs and toast or scrambled into an omelette with cheese and salsa, but stale bacon chips don't do much to enhance baked goods or sweet treats in my view.

Last edited:
Spent some time in Saudi Arabia where pork was. . .uh. . . scarce. So scare, the Brits I chummed with told of a comrade who successfully smuggled a caged small pig into the country for a traditional English Christmas ham dinner by telling the inquisitive customs agent (who'd apparently never seen one) it was a Mexican hunting dog!
That sounds like a Brit with a great sense of humor & adventure!
I'm guessing Saudis had no objection to having Mexican Hunting Dog on the Christmas Dinner menu. I'm also guessing the Brits didn't make a big deal about it being Christmas, either.??

Not sure what part of Florida you are living in ... the part I live in has absolutely NO PROBLEM with pork! I haven't seen any traditional restaurants, hotels or grocery stores quit selling it.

If we are going to eliminate pork off of Amtrak because of political and/or religious reasons - we would also need to eliminate coffee, soda and alcohol from the menu.

The foreign nationals seemed to be congregated in our own enclaves where I was. Most Americans lived in Aramco. The Brits working for Northrop International had the own, smaller gated community. When not at work with the Saudis we were free to celebrate our own holidays as long as we kept it quiet and otherwise invisible.

But that was more than 40 years ago. And this is straying far off the subject.

The foreign nationals seemed to be congregated in our own enclaves where I was. Most Americans lived in Aramco. The Brits working for Northrop International had the own, smaller gated community. When not at work with the Saudis we were free to celebrate our own holidays as long as we kept it quiet and otherwise invisible.

I think we left the subject a long time ago. Heck of a rare mileage conversational excursion...

Agreed - but thanks for the story!
Has anyone benefited from the new menu yet?
Can anyone confirm if the new menu is available on the Auto Train yet?
ET:)

The more I think about it the addition of a pork product to a menu seems unusual in these politically-correct times. Many hotels have dropped it entirely from their menus. One hotel we stayed at recently even had a sign at breakfast ("out of respect...") and they served turkey bacon and vegetarian sausage.

Be sure ro ne
The more I think about it the addition of a pork product to a menu seems unusual in these politically-correct times. Many hotels have dropped it entirely from their menus. One hotel we stayed at recently even had a sign at breakfast ("out of respect...") and they served turkey bacon and vegetarian sausage.

Be sure not to stay at that place again. There's no shortage of pork products here in the Chicago area, either in grocery stores or restaurants. Most breakfast menus are loaded with sausage, bacon and ham -- from pigs, not chickens. And barbecue places are also extremely popular.

Agreed - but thanks for the story!
Has anyone benefited from the new menu yet?
Can anyone confirm if the new menu is available on the Auto Train yet?
ET:)

Auto train has a simpler menu of 4 or 5 choices. Many of the choices are very similar. One plus though is that they do offer the first glass of wine complimentary.

Last edited:
We, too, are delighted that Railroad French Toast is back on the menu. For all you French Toast fans out there, here is the original dining car receipe for Santa Fe French Toast:

3 slices bread, ¾ inch thick ¼ teaspoon salt

4 eggs, slightly beaten cooking oil

1 cup half and half confectioners’ sugar

Use firm, homemade-type of bread. Trim crusts and cut diagonally into triangles. Combine eggs, half and half, and salt. Dip bread in mixture allowing pieces to absorb as much liquid as possible. Fry in about one-half inch cooking oil headed to 325 degrees.

When brown on one side, turn over and brown second side. Place on baking sheet and allow to puff in 400 degree oven for 3 to 5 minutes. Drain on paper towels to absorb excess fat. Sprinkle with confectioners’ sugar and serve immediately with applesauce, jelly, honey, or syrup.

Enjoy!

Eric & Pat

(answering various comments, so you'll have to look at previous posts) I am disappointed that the mussels are replaced by pork wings. I guess pigs can fly after all. I like seafood better. Pork wings are fast food, mussels are fine dining. I prefer salmon, but I like cod pretty well too, so, I'm good there. As far as removing pork, "out of respect", well, respect for what? For all the years that pork has been on menus, no one ever removed it out of respect for Jews, so is it now being removed out of respect for Muslims? Offering Turkey rather than pork is a nod to health concerns, especially for older folks who need to watch their diets, makes sense to me. What's wrong with the Cubano bowl? Looks nice. Having more vegetarian options is an good ethical and environmental choice. I am not vegetarian, but eat less meat than many.

Give unto me a break.

We, too, are delighted that Railroad French Toast is back on the menu. For all you French Toast fans out there, here is the original dining car receipe for Santa Fe French Toast:

3 slices bread, ¾ inch thick ¼ teaspoon salt

4 eggs, slightly beaten cooking oil

1 cup half and half confectioners’ sugar

Use firm, homemade-type of bread. Trim crusts and cut diagonally into triangles. Combine eggs, half and half, and salt. Dip bread in mixture allowing pieces to absorb as much liquid as possible. Fry in about one-half inch cooking oil headed to 325 degrees.

When brown on one side, turn over and brown second side. Place on baking sheet and allow to puff in 400 degree oven for 3 to 5 minutes. Drain on paper towels to absorb excess fat. Sprinkle with confectioners’ sugar and serve immediately with applesauce, jelly, honey, or syrup.

Enjoy!

Eric & Pat
Sounds yummy! Fancier than the way I normally fix French Toast at home, but looks like it would be well worth trying as a special weekend/holiday breakfast when I'd have the time to do the few extra steps. (French Toast was the first thing Dad taught me to cook when I was a little girl, so I've been preparing and eating it for a VERY long time!) Railroad French Toast will definitely be something to look forward to when I can talk my husband into some long-distance train trips after we retire.

(answering various comments, so you'll have to look at previous posts) I am disappointed that the mussels are replaced by pork wings. I guess pigs can fly after all. I like seafood better. Pork wings are fast food, mussels are fine dining. I prefer salmon, but I like cod pretty well too, so, I'm good there. As far as removing pork, "out of respect", well, respect for what? For all the years that pork has been on menus, no one ever removed it out of respect for Jews, so is it now being removed out of respect for Muslims? Offering Turkey rather than pork is a nod to health concerns, especially for older folks who need to watch their diets, makes sense to me. What's wrong with the Cubano bowl? Looks nice. Having more vegetarian options is an good ethical and environmental choice. I am not vegetarian, but eat less meat than many.

I like Pork as the "other white meat" choice, beyond chicken!
I'm not vegan, but don't really like red meat; if my steak's red, I ask them to cook it a little bit longer ! :p

Back