New Orleans Hotel Suggestions?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone have suggestions for a favorite hotel near Union Station in New Orleans?
There's tons of great hotels in NOLA.We've had many trip reports and threads on this on AU, I say Google them up and enjoy the discussions.

The Hotels closest to Union Station are the Hyatt (expensive) and a Holiday Inn (Generic), it's much more fun to stay in the French Quarter,Garden Distric or the Central Business Distric.

I like the Place D'Armes behind the Cathedral,200 year old Garden type Hotel within walking distance to everything worth seeing downtown, but quiet even though it's close to Bourbon Street.

Cabs are a standard $12 to/from Union Station but a day Pass for the Street Cars and Buses are much more fun to get around.

Use one of the Travel Sites (Trivago/Trip Advisor, Kayak etc.) and decide for yourself based on Price,Uniqueness and Location.

Last edited by a moderator:
I loved Le Pavillon. I would stay there again in a heartbeat.

Tisha and I stayed at the Holiday Inn Chateau Lemoyne last August. On Dauphine, walking distance form everything (or public transportation to nearly everything). Great hotel at decent price (and I got HI Rewards points!)

I stayed at the Best Western on Rampart St. The new trolley line runs right by the place. [i think it's finished.]

Does anyone here know if the trolley system now connects directly with Amtrak's New Orleans station?

And, in case of late train arrival, how late do the trolleys run? How early start in the morning?

If anyone knows of an online map of the trolley system that also shows Union Station, a link to that here would be helpful.....

Does anyone here know if the trolley system now connects directly with Amtrak's New Orleans station?

And, in case of late train arrival, how late do the trolleys run? How early start in the morning?

If anyone knows of an online map of the trolley system that also shows Union Station, a link to that here would be helpful.....
I found this with 15 seconds of Googling :http://www.neworleansonline.com/tools/transportation/maps.html?utm_source=googleppc&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=plan-your-trip&gclid=CjwKEAiA3qXBBRD4_b_V7ZLFsX4SJAB0AtEVBItPBgBbaoSlvXrnTvYMKrBJW4xEv5PZiBbrFd9kTxoCw9Hw_wcB

The Rampart-St. Claude *Streetcar* line serves New Orleans Union Passenger Terminal. Looks like it runs from approx 6am to 12am.

Here's a RTA system map (buses and streetcars) - http://www.norta.com/getattachment/Maps-Schedules/RTA-SysMapBrochureMap092716.pdf.aspx

And here's info on just the streetcars - http://www.norta.com/RTA/media/RTA-PDF-Files/RTA-PDFs/route_49.pdf

Thanks everyone for your responses...... I've gotten a couple or three possibilities.

Yes, I can Google. Yes I can use Expedia. I love figuring out the lay of things using Google Earth..... that helped me pull off riding trains in Europe for 12 days in 2014 and finding suitable hotels near the train station in eight different cities.

The reason I asked for input on New Orleans was to help narrow down the choices...... Streetcar right out front for instance is a good thing, thugs with drugs at my doorstep is not.......... from people like myself who enjoy using the train and who have been there.

NotElvis, you may have already made up your mind, but there is a nice older hotel about 7 blocks from the Amtrak station that I used to stay at that is old school charming. It is the Lafayette at 600 St. Charles, just off of Girod, and only 2 blocks from Poydras. It is a bargain at around $90 a night and it is on the St. Charles trolley line, as well. I like the sound of the trolleys going by, but if you are a light sleeper you might get a room on the side instead of the front. It gets a 4.1 rating on Google and 4/5 on Tripadvisor. I like the staff, the ambiance and the walkability, plus Amtrak and the trolley are right there, as well.

I walked to the French Quarter from there repeatedly and felt very safe. But I was usually home by 10 pm, so there is that. Crawfish Etoufe at Felix's then a poboy and oysters at the Acme. Red beans and rice at Cafe Beignet, then beignets and coffee at Cafe Dumond... Try to find a spot for andouille and/or jambalaya, as well. That ought to take an afternoon to digest! Guess which one Lee Harvey Oswald worked at?

I want to go back.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60864-d89147-Reviews-The_Lafayette_Hotel-New_Orleans_Louisiana.html

We took the train to New Orleans last spring and stayed in the Drury Inn. Walk-able from Union Station and right on the trolley line.

It's so easy to get to hotels in the Quarter and Warehouse/Convention district I would not stay at one close to the station unless you have to.

I also would suggest staying in the French Quarter. Many places there are fairly quiet. Of course avoid the heart of Bourbon St. Staying in the FQ will make for easy walks with tons of good street music and food. FYI, Uber is also available to get to/from the station instead of taxis and trolleys, etc.

Enjoy your visit!

I have stayed at Hotel St. Marie many times, my go to place actually. It is about a half block off of Bourbon Street, but it's very quiet!

I too would recommend the Hotel St. Marie. It is just off Bourbon Street, but it is quiet. It has lovely rooms with lovely antique style decor.

The prices are quite reasonable, and it is close to many restaurants, bars, etc.

I would see no real need to stay near Union Station. I have been to New Orleans many times and always stay in the French Quarter. Taxis are easy to get, and there are always taxis waiting outside

Union Station.

If you limit yourself to hotels within walking distance to Union Station, you don't have many to choose from.

David

We took the train to New Orleans last spring and stayed in the Drury Inn. Walk-able from Union Station and right on the trolley line.
I liked Drury Inn as well.

Right across the street is the New Orleans Federal Reserve building. They have a small museum there. It is worth the price (Free) even though you have to go though a security screening to get in. Should you go in be sure to pick up a few bags of shredded money for gifts to friends back home.

I loved Le Pavillon. I would stay there again in a heartbeat.
Second this. Beautiful hotel, privately owned with lots of New Orleans flavor and a really nice rooftop pool.
Sigh.

The good things about Le Pavillon:

1) Grand old hotel. Sumptuously decorated. Spacious rooms.

2) Friendly and helpful staff

3) The peanut-butter buffet every night!

4) Breakfast!

IMG_4743.jpgIMG_4740.jpgIMG_4732.jpgIMG_4731.jpg

The bad things about Le Pavillon:

1) It's a bit of a hike to the French Quarter, esp if you have difficulty walking (like Mrs. George).

2) Staff doesn't seem to have their act together - there's no reason to wake me at 6 AM on my day of departure.

3) It's a bit worn out. Furnishings are a bit shabby and tired.

IMG_4897.JPGIMG_4898 (1).jpgIMG_4940.jpgIMG_4941.JPGIMG_4943.jpg

It doesn’t have the decadent ambiance of a French Quarter hotel but I’ve stayed at the Staybridge Suites Inn at the corner of Tchoupitoulas and Poydras a couple of times. It’s three or four short and safe blocks from Canal Street and the French Quarter and also close walking distance to other attractions like the Aquarium and the riverfront. And it’s less expensive and quieter than the French Quarter and Canal Street hotels. It’s also got a microwave and a fridge in each room which can come in handy to reheat leftovers when you can’t finish a meal at one of the great restaurants. You can catch the trolley to Union Station on Canal Street. There a lot of other national chains in that same neighborhood and good restaurants. Once I was sitting in my room there channel surfing and I came upon the food channel and they happened to be reviewing the restaurant, Mother’s, that was right outside my window across the street.

The hardest part of staying there is figuring out how to say Tchoupitoulas in case you need to take a cab or something back to the hotel. Luckily there is a YouTube video that tells how to pronounce it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvRgkwfRpM8

It's so easy to get to hotels in the Quarter and Warehouse/Convention district I would not stay at one close to the station unless you have to.
Of course, neither money nor quality being an object.

If you can get a good deal at a nice hotel on the French Quarter, go for it. Otherwise, staying in the CBD is generally cheaper and nicer.

I stayed at the Hyatt House during my last visit. It's walkable from NOUPT (right next to the Hyatt Regency) and walkable to the French Quarter and other sites.

Of course, neither money nor quality being an object.

If you can get a good deal at a nice hotel on the French Quarter, go for it. Otherwise, staying in the CBD is generally cheaper and nicer.

I stayed at the Hyatt House during my last visit. It's walkable from NOUPT (right next to the Hyatt Regency) and walkable to the French Quarter and other sites.
Plus the Loyola Streetcar runs from the Amtrak Union Station on Loyola to Canal all the way to the Riverfront with the French Quarter being on the west side of Canal. You can purchase an all day fare for $3 and ride all the streetcars, buses, for 24 hours.

A few years ago we stayed at the J.W. Marriott ( not the other Marriott on Canal that is also good) and it was first rate all the way. Its at the end of the French Quarter. Not the least expensive but not the most either. .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back