New Orleans service partially restored

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Service Restoration Plans for New Orleans
Saturday, September 4, 2021 5:30PM ET
Sunset Limited and Crescent trains resume full service, City of New Orleans trains still temporarily suspended south of Memphis

With thanks to BNSF Railway, Union Pacific and Norfolk Southern railroads, Amtrak can restore service on two of three current routes from and to New Orleans.
Sunset Limited: Effective Sunday, September 5, Train 2 from Los Angeles will operate to New Orleans. Effective Wednesday, September 8, Train 1 from New Orleans will operate to Los Angeles.
Crescent: Effective Monday, September 6, Train 19 from New York will operate to New Orleans. Effective Tuesday, September 7, Train 20 from New Orleans will operate to New York.
City of New Orleans: Train 58 is continuing to originate in Memphis instead of New Orleans and Train 59 is continuing to originate in Memphis to return to Chicago. No substitute transportation is available between New Orleans and Memphis. CN railroad crews are making repairs to damage caused by Hurricane Ida.

Customers with reservations on trains that are being modified will typically be accommodated on trains with similar departure times or another day. Amtrak will waive additional charges for customers looking to change their reservation during the modified schedule by calling our reservation center at 1-800-USA-RAIL.
The most up-to-date train status is available on Amtrak.com and in the free mobile app.

Sunset Limited and Crescent trains resume full service, City of New Orleans trains still temporarily suspended south of Memphis

With thanks to BNSF Railway, Union Pacific and Norfolk Southern railroads, Amtrak can restore service on two of three current routes from and to New Orleans.
Sunset Limited: Effective Sunday, September 5, Train 2 from Los Angeles will operate to New Orleans. Effective Wednesday, September 8, Train 1 from New Orleans will operate to Los Angeles.
Crescent: Effective Monday, September 6, Train 19 from New York will operate to New Orleans. Effective Tuesday, September 7, Train 20 from New Orleans will operate to New York.
City of New Orleans: Train 58 is continuing to originate in Memphis instead of New Orleans and Train 59 is continuing to originate in Memphis to return to Chicago. No substitute transportation is available between New Orleans and Memphis. CN railroad crews are making repairs to damage caused by Hurricane Ida.

Customers with reservations on trains that are being modified will typically be accommodated on trains with similar departure times or another day. Amtrak will waive additional charges for customers looking to change their reservation during the modified schedule by calling our reservation center at 1-800-USA-RAIL.
The most up-to-date train status is available on Amtrak.com and in the free mobile app.
Was posted in the Hurricane Ida thread.

Update on CONO this morning... CN at work on rail restoration and service to NOL expected in a few days.

Could you please share the link of CONO update? Thanks!
From Amtrak Advisory as of today RE CONO:

"City of New Orleans: Train 58 is continuing to originate in Memphis instead of New Orleans and Train 59 is continuing to originate in Memphis to return to Chicago. No substitute transportation is available between New Orleans and Memphis. CN railroad crews are making repairs to damage caused by Hurricane Ida."

From Amtrak Advisory as of today RE CONO:

"City of New Orleans: Train 58 is continuing to originate in Memphis instead of New Orleans and Train 59 is continuing to originate in Memphis to return to Chicago. No substitute transportation is available between New Orleans and Memphis. CN railroad crews are making repairs to damage caused by Hurricane Ida."
Uh, that's what the 9/4/21 announcement in the original post says. So, it's not an update.

Uh, that's what the 9/4/21 announcement in the original post says. So, it's not an update.
For the latest just go to Service Alerts & Notices | Amtrak and look at the Service Alerts tab.
Hmmm... I thought I'd seen it somewhere... so I called Amtrak since I have a sleeper on the CONO coming up. He told me it's starting up on the 8th... that's tomorrow. Taking that with 'a grain of salt' and not wanting to have 'egg on my face' I realize there's always a lot of speculation and what do agents actually know??? So don't hold me to it! In addition to the the Amtrak site you can also get more information here>>> Home - NOLA Ready

Hmmm... I thought I'd seen it somewhere... so I called Amtrak since I have a sleeper on the CONO coming up. He told me it's starting up on the 8th... that's tomorrow. Taking that with 'a grain of salt' and not wanting to have 'egg on my face' I realize there's always a lot of speculation and what do agents actually know??? So don't hold me to it! In addition to the the Amtrak site you can also get more information here>>> Home - NOLA Ready
It is still showing as cancelled until Tuesday the 14th on the Schedules tab. The Schedules tab was pretty accurate for the Sunset and the Crescent.

The CONO main lined up more with the route of the storm than the other two lines. Plus for both BNSF/UP and NS there was only one main line affected by Ida, with the possible exception of some of the northeastern parts of NS. With CN you have their line into mobile and the Hammond-Baton Rouge lines as well as their north-south main which essentially follows the western end of Lake Pontchartrain out of New Orleans would likely be more severely damaged than the other lines.

Such generosity. I'm dumbfounded. :)

Entergy still has to restore electric service between Hammond and Laplace.
View attachment 24330
Thanks! I was about to mention Laplace which was one of the extremely heavily damaged places. In general the west end of the Lake took quite a hit and that is where the CONO passes through. So the delay in its restoration is quite understandable.

Thanks! I was about to mention Laplace which was one of the extremely heavily damaged places. In general the west end of the Lake took quite a hit and that is where the CONO passes through. So the delay in its restoration is quite understandable.

hopefully it will be fully restored soon, my CONO trip is on 25th, worst case is that I will take Greyhound bus from MEM to NOL on 26th,

Back