New Orleans to Austin, transfer San Antonio

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rvm

Train Attendant
When traveling in coach from New Orleans to Austin, there's a transfer in San Antonio. Do they switch the entire car from the Sunset to the Eagle, allowing passengers to wait in their seats? Or do you have to go inside the station and wait from 3am to 7am?

Going in that direction you will definitely be kicked off. The only through cars are to and from the west, e.g. Austin or Dallas to El Paso or L.A.

This is a most unfortunate schedule that leaves passengers stuck in San Antonio when the city is completely asleep. There is virtually nothing to do in or around the station itself beyond watching television, using the (poorly maintained) restrooms and buying nutrition-free junk food from a vending machine. Can continuing passengers at least remain aboard until SL1 nears departure time, say until 5:00AM?

When traveling in coach from New Orleans to Austin, there's a transfer in San Antonio. Do they switch the entire car from the Sunset to the Eagle, allowing passengers to wait in their seats? Or do you have to go inside the station and wait from 3am to 7am?
Since the station in San Antonio is very small,brightly lit and crowded with waiting pax

(the Sunset leaves @ 5:40AM three days a week,the Eagle @ 7AM daily)and homeless,the best place to "wait" for the NB Eagle is "Dennys" under the freeway towards the RiverWalk or even just walk around downtown(it's only a few blocks)if you dont have too much baggage.(you can check your bags here,there are usually two agents).Also there are a few freights that go by and if the #421/Sunset is running that morning you can watch the switching as the set out coach and thru sleeper are hooked to the Sunset.

There are several motels/hotels in the area that are pricey but probably not worth it for a few hours. As Hadley said, the Sunset is usually early into SAS so it makes for a loooooooong night waiting on the Eagle.

The Sunset departs SAS over 1 1/2 hours before the TE departs, so that is not even an option!
sad.gif
I had to wait in the station watching TV from 2 AM (the SL was early) until about 6:30 or so!
ohmy.gif

How many people were waiting with you?
Surprisingly, a full house! Maybe 20 or so!
ohmy.gif

I forget what was on, but it was a 24 hour channel, then about 5 or so was the local news/traffic/weather show. I was actually sitting under the TV, using the extra plug for my netbook.
Since Ive spent a few lifetimes waiting in this so called "station", Im very familiar with what's on. It's Infomercials with commercials in between! :rolleyes: The News is the typical "if it bleeds it leads" local stuff,. Ive never not seen all the seats full in this too small station, the bathrooms are really gross and the panhandlers work the crowd like the New York pros! :lol: Of course right next door is the beautiful old SP Sunset Station that the city, in their infinite wisdom sold so it could be a banquet/dance/music event venue! As my previous post said Denny's is a better place to wait, food,waitresses that call you "hon" and interesting people coming and going! ;)

We are planning a future trip CLE to NOL and then return via SL to SAS and then north on the TE back to CHI. But I believe we will just plan a night or two in San Antonio and get a fresh 7am start on the TE rather than endure the station "experience". :eek:

It was nice traveling south on the TE for the SL hookup to LAX. Sleeping in a stationary roomette in the SAS yard was a much better experience. :p

Last time I rode Amtrak through San Antonio, NOL to AUS, I recall waiting inside a nice, old train station, which must be the Sunset Station that was sold. That was in 1995. Nice station.

I'm a veteran of late-night Greyhound bus transfers, so I guess I can prepare myself to endure this transfer in SAS. Maybe I'll check out the Denny's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back