New Orleans train station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Marilee

Train Attendant
Is car rental readily avalable at the NO station? We will be arriving on the CONO April 29 and I can't seem to find any information (online) for car rental companies at the station. Perhaps I'm not searching on the correct site? Thanks for any advice.

Marilee

I would suggest stick with taxi, however if you call hertz they will arrange for a car for you, 504-568-1645.

The Hertz facility is about 3/4 mile from the NOL railroad station. If you want to rent a car; as Mr Ed has said call ahead and arrange to be picked up at the station. If you are just visiting New Orleans and don't tend to go much farther, the public transportation system there is very good and you shouldn't need a car to get around. Busses and cabs are available right at the station and the trolley line running to the French Quarter is about 4 blocks South of the station.

We are traveling from New Orleans to Gulfport, MS where we have rented a cottage, so we need a car. We are planning to visit NO a few times during the week, so then we plan to just park the car and use public transportation. I will call Hertz and others to see how they handle a late arrival (if that happens). I just don't want a hassle when we arrive.

We are traveling from New Orleans to Gulfport, MS where we have rented a cottage, so we need a car. We are planning to visit NO a few times during the week, so then we plan to just park the car and use public transportation. I will call Hertz and others to see how they handle a late arrival (if that happens). I just don't want a hassle when we arrive.
The last time I was in town I bought an all day pass for $5. It entitles you to all street cars and busses. When you consider that transfers no longer exist it is a bargain. One bummer is you have to walk across busy Canal Street to get on the Riverfront trolley if you are coming off of either the St. Charles line or the Canal street car. Have fun !!! :)

Please be aware that Parking is VERY PRICEY in New Orleans even for those staying in Hotels with their own garage! :eek: A "few" trips to NOL can amount to as much as $100 to Park if you use Garages. Street parking is almost impossible to find! Id suggest looking at the Parking Lot by the Train Station/Post Office as other members have said and also check with Hertz, perhaps they would let you Park for Free in their lot where they keep their cars IF such a lot exists downtown??

This is why I love this site! Thanks jimhudson for the head's up. I will ask the car rental place for their suggestions when we get the car. And thanks to had8ley - the all day pass is a grrrr8 idea! (just had to use the 8 back at ya)

Marilee

Please be aware that Parking is VERY PRICEY in New Orleans even for those staying in Hotels with their own garage! :eek: A "few" trips to NOL can amount to as much as $100 to Park if you use Garages. Street parking is almost impossible to find! Id suggest looking at the Parking Lot by the Train Station/Post Office as other members have said and also check with Hertz, perhaps they would let you Park for Free in their lot where they keep their cars IF such a lot exists downtown??
There's also a VERY convenient and inexpensive (by NOLA standards) city parking lot behind the Hotel de la Monnaie at the corner of Esplanade and Elysian Fields. Once you're in the lot, it's just a few hundred yards stroll to the #1 stop on the Riverfront Street Car line. This lot is also less than 2 blocks from the beginning of the French Market ~ the side away from Cafe du Monde. This particular lot is very easy to get to from I-10. Just take the Esplanade exit and follow Esplanade all the way to the end where it meets the docks on the Mississippi. Take a sharp left onto Elysian Fields and you'll see the parking lot. If I recall, there's also an entrance on Esplanade as well. See a map and information HERE HAVE FUN! We own a timeshare at the Hotel DeLaMonnaie on Esplanade across the street from the Old Mint. They have free parking but sometimes it's totally full, so we've used the lot behind the hotel on several occasions....

Last edited by a moderator:
Is car rental readily avalable at the NO station? We will be arriving on the CONO April 29 and I can't seem to find any information (online) for car rental companies at the station. Perhaps I'm not searching on the correct site? Thanks for any advice.

Marilee

Depending where you want to go, you may not need a car. NO is extremely compact and when I was there I walked everywhere and it was no problem. In had a really great time doing all the attractions and getting around was never an issue. The streetcars are also fun. They don't come directly to the train terminal (although there is a project to change that) but it's a short walk from there to Canal Street or Lee Circle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back