New Pacific Surfliner Schedule Now Available (Effective October 25)

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

Cal

Foamer
Thank you! And thank you Caltrans, not so much Amtrak.

Edit: Seems like all trains now stop at all Amtrak stops north of LA, which is nice. Now once the full schedule resumes they need to make it hourly, at least for peak times. I really don't understand why they have a 3 hour gap between 4 and 7 PM and 7 and 10 AM.

hmy1

Train Attendant
Have Northridge and downtown Burbank always been Surfliner stops for 768 (now 770) and 784 southbound, 761 and 777 northbound?

I was surprised about the renumbering, but upon seeing the whole schedule, I see that they evenly distributed the numbers to align with future hourly service.

Cal

Foamer
Have Northridge and downtown Burbank always been Surfliner stops for 768 (now 770) and 784 southbound, 761 and 777 northbound?

I was surprised about the renumbering, but upon seeing the whole schedule, I see that they evenly distributed the numbers to align with future hourly service.
They’re for Metrolink passengers, you can’t boon them on Amtrak.

thully

OBS Chief
Any idea what would cause them to split 796 into 794 and 594 with a cross-platform transfer? Is the north segment chronically late - in which case this change allows them to bustitute 794 passengers south of LA and operate 594 on time? That’s the only rational explanation I can think of…

Eric S

Engineer
Any idea what would cause them to split 796 into 794 and 594 with a cross-platform transfer? Is the north segment chronically late - in which case this change allows them to bustitute 794 passengers south of LA and operate 594 on time? That’s the only rational explanation I can think of…
Equipment rotation, perhaps? Ensuring that trainset ends up in Los Angeles for servicing on a consistent basis? Just a guess, I didn't actually sort out equipment turns from the schedule.

Cal

Foamer
Equipment rotation, perhaps? Ensuring that trainset ends up in Los Angeles for servicing on a consistent basis? Just a guess, I didn't actually sort out equipment turns from the schedule.
Seems possible.
This is good news, hopefully means they're looking to make the Surfliner hourly to fill all current gaps someday.

Cal

Foamer
Looks like all stations between LA and San Diego with the exception of Old Town and San Clemente Pier are also back to being staffed.

Cal

Foamer
Only 2 trains per day southbound directly from San Luis Obispo?
That's how it was pre-covid. The 8 hour long journey time makes it hard for too many services to go all the way.

Cal

Foamer
From this article, “The goal is to ultimately have hourly service between San Diego and Los Angeles during peak periods.” Told by Roger Lopez, whose an administrative officer of the LOSSAN Rail Corridor Agency.

v v

Conductor
AU Supporter
That's how it was pre-covid. The 8 hour long journey time makes it hard for too many services to go all the way.
Thanks Cal, I don't remember it was so infrequent although that may be my memory.

Cal

Foamer
Thanks Cal, I don't remember it was so infrequent although that may be my memory.
The starlight also supplements service. Although 796 (soon to be 794) isn’t that far behind the starlight as it’s the train that starlight passengers connect to for those headed further south

Reactions: v v

lstone19

Service Attendant
The Pacific Surfliner website schedule notes (Schedule Change | Pacific Surfliner) says it's for "equipment logistics." The equipment for 794 comes from 761 which leaves San Diego as the first train of the day at 4:01am. I have no idea what the arrangement is at San Diego but the schedule shows three sets overnighting there and maybe the last train in (594) has to be the first train out (761) in which case that would lock that equipment into a daily SAN-SLO-SAN turn without it ever getting terminating at LAX.

Edit: Never mind that idea. Just looked at the SAN station on Google Earth and it looks like enough station tracks for each overnighting train to have its own track. Maybe they want each set in LAX at least every other night. Without that schedule break, that set would be in SAN two nights in a row.

TheTuck

Train Attendant
Edit: Never mind that idea. Just looked at the SAN station on Google Earth and it looks like enough station tracks for each overnighting train to have its own track. Maybe they want each set in LAX at least every other night. Without that schedule break, that set would be in SAN two nights in a row.
Trainsets can usually survive for 3 or 4 days between visits to the home terminal, 8th street in this case. Upon looking more closely at the schedule, the obvious equipment turns lead to one trainset requiring many consecutive nights at the outlying terminals whereas the other sets return right away. By simply changing overnight turns in SAN, this problem could be avoided thus eliminating the need for the 794/594 transfer. If SAN parking is not a constraint, there must be another reason...

Delays to the old 796 were sometimes pretty bad, and being the last train of the day could wreak havoc for passengers. By creating 594 as its own schedule, it becomes more reliable for late night riders (including sports fans/concertgoers) in that it has a much better chance of leaving LAX on time even when the train from SLO runs late. In this case, passengers from 794 would transfer to the next bus to SAN.