New Pennsylvanian & 3 Rivers schedules

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Superliner Diner

Conductor
The new Pennsylvanian schedule, which now takes effect on February 10, 2003, is available on Amtrak's site. Here are the details:

The westbound train on weekdays will still be called Train 43. It will depart from New York City at 7:10 AM, depart Philadelphia at 8:45 AM, and arrive in Pittsburgh, its final stop, at 4:00 PM. On Saturdays and Sundays, this train will be called Train 45. The only difference from 43 is that it will operate 10 minutes earlier in the Northeast Corridor, departing New York City at 7:00 AM. The westbound Pennsylvanian's times from Philadelphia west will be the same 7 days a week.

The eastbound Pennsylvanian on weekdays and Saturdays will be known as Train 42. It will leave Pittsburgh at 7:30 AM, arrive in Philadelphia 3:10 PM, and arrive in New York City 4:43 PM. On Sundays, this train will run approximately six hours later, as Train 44, departing Pittsburgh 1:30 PM, arriving Philadelphia 8:55 PM, and arriving in New York City at 10:50 PM.

What this means is big changes on the Keystone Corridor as well. Trains 42, 43, 44, & 45 will all serve as locals within the Keystone Corridor, in some cases filling in for 600-series trains between New York/Philadelphia and Harrisburg. The changes:

* Weekday-only New York-Harrisburg train 641 is gone, replaced by Train 43.

* In 43's old slot is new weekday-only Philadelphia-Harrisburg train 607.

* Weekend train 45 replaces current Train 611, which moves to a later timeslot, departing Philadelphia at 3 PM and arriving Harrisburg 4:55 PM, filling an afternoon service gap.

* Current train 661, a weekend-only Philadelphia-Harrisburg run, has its number changed to 615 to conform to the numbering system (since it no longer originates in New York).

In the eastbound direction:

* We have a new Train 608 Harrisburg to Philadelphia (weekdays only) and Train 610 (weekends only) as mid-morning gap fillers.

* Trains 650 (weekdays) and 660 (weekends) are out. The 1 PM slot out of Harrisburg will now be filled by Train 42 on weekdays and Saturdays, and Harrisburg-Philadelphia train 612 on Sundays only.

* The 7 PM timeslot on weekends, currently operated as Train 614, will continue as 614 on Saturdays only. On Sundays it will be filled by the rescheduled Pennsylvanian, Train 44.

On top of all that, the eastbound Three Rivers, Train 40, will operate on a later schedule. It will now depart from Chicago at 10:30 PM (vs. 9 PM now) and arrive in Philadelphia 5:30 PM the next day, terminating in New York City at 8:04 PM. It still will not make any pickups at Harrisburg or points east of there. The westbound schedule will be unchanged; still no passengers discharged from 41 at Harrisburg or points east of there.

The Pennsylvanian will have Unreserved Coach Class and Reserved Business Class and a Cafe. I'm guessing the equipment will be Amfleet I (possibly ex-Metroliner stock???)

Amfleet said:
The Pennsylvanian will have Unreserved Coach Class and Reserved Business Class and a Cafe. I'm guessing the equipment will be Amfleet I (possibly ex-Metroliner stock???)
That's my guess too. Like the Downeasters and the Adirondack, Amtrak is getting wise to the fact that regular old Amfleet I's (non-Metroliner) just don't cut it for medium-length daytime trips. The ex-Metroliner coaches are a bit more comfortable with the leg rests and other extra amenities. This train won't rate anything better than that, because it will once more be operating as a glorified Keystone Service train (although with a cafe car!) extending beyond Harrisburg to Pittsburgh.

And of course this change will make expendable the Horizon and/or Amfleet II cars currently being used on the Pennsylvanian. The Horizon coaches and dinettes will go back into the Chicago pool, since the Pennsylvanian was through-routed with the Illini. If there are any Amfleet II coaches left, they would go to the New York pool and augment the Three Rivers, LSL, Crescent, or Silver Service consists.

I'll be glad to se Horizons out of the Northeast since they are about the worst type of equipment Amtrak owns. I would guess the Amfleet II coaches that came off of it would go to the TR or LSL to make up for the loss of a through CHI coach.

Hey thanks, Amfleet! Just send all the junk our way...we'll deal with it! <sarcasm galore> Hmmm....real nice.

Hehe...ok...I'll be quiet now.

:p

It's funny, after watching an Amtrak video (Amtrak at 30) this afternoon I've kind of changed my mind. They showed an interior it was different than expected. The seats were greenish colored and spaced nicely and the interior was bright, however, it still had that commuter look to it. I guess it would be fine for a trip of under 3 hours. <_<

Amfleet said:
It's funny, after watching an Amtrak video (Amtrak at 30) this afternoon I've kind of changed my mind. They showed an interior it was different than expected. The seats were greenish colored and spaced nicely and the interior was bright, however, it still had that commuter look to it. I guess it would be fine for a trip of under 3 hours. <_<
Looks deceive. The windows are too small, and the seats are too close togehter. No matter what you do, you cant sugar coat a turd.

That's basically what they are. I went in a few of the cars that were tacked on the bottom of 91, while the cars didn't have HEP on them, it didn't seem like it'd be a pleasant ride. I'd probably almost prefer to ride up in the baggage (with hearing protection) because then at least I could stretch out.

Thats the problem, they're little more than glorified Commuter Coaches. They're pretty much the same as Comet II's on NJT and Shoreliner's on Metro North.

Well, truthfully, I would say they are OK. I wouldn't classify them as junk, but they aren't great...like the long distance cars are. It's funny....I usually end up riding them between school and home here in Illinois. However, of course, over the summer, I was on superliners all the time, with the exception of the viewliner I worked on the LSL the one time. And then this past fall, I took a trip home for the weekend, and rode that damn horizon, and shoot. I couldn't believe how bumpy and loud the ride was. It was like the springs and shocks are non-exisitent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back