New Rehabilitated Superliners unveiled

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do like to see these correct car numbers displayed not only to validate I'm getting on the right one before I even step forward but also so I can get an idea of the full consist and how they've numbered the rest of the sleepers and coach cars on a given route when at a stretch stop.

“Most” of the time the car number is displayed correct in the window. Many times it’s not correct.
“Most of the time I have a wonderful SCA that seems to love their job. Many times I have an SCA that doesn’t give a hoot.
I think there is a relation.

Donner Lake, one of the many Highlites on the Zephyr Route!😎

I’m mad at donner lake - it got me in trouble! I was in the very last roomette by the railfan window so after lunch I went to my room instead of the lounge so I could get some unique photos. Well we come by donner lake so I step into the roomette across from me (had been empty the entire trip and clearly nobody had boarded) to take some photos of the lake and of course when I step out the sca saw me and scolded me.

I’m not sure why I blame donner lake... but I do! :p

I’m mad at donner lake - it got me in trouble! I was in the very last roomette by the railfan window so after lunch I went to my room instead of the lounge so I could get some unique photos. Well we come by donner lake so I step into the roomette across from me (had been empty the entire trip and clearly nobody had boarded) to take some photos of the lake and of course when I step out the sca saw me and scolded me.

I’m not sure why I blame donner lake... but I do! :p
Blame the Center of Excellence!

And I am old enough to remember when there was the original route over the top and a much longer tunnel beneath. You never knew which one you would get, it depended on freight traffic. As we approached the switch I would cross my fingers and hope for the high way!
You can see parts of the original route from the current route... it ran along cliff edges which have collapsed in spots, so it is gone for *good*. Actually a pretty terrifying route.

They definitely look nicer after the refresh. It was also interesting in the video when specifically mentioned how much she appreciated everybody writing and basically pushing the execs to bring back better options for the dining car.

I still don't love the sleeper look, as again, new carpets and seats and everything else looking old. They really should have put in the new tables in at least.

I still don't love the sleeper look, as again, new carpets and seats and everything else looking old. They really should have put in the new tables in at least.
I really like the new tables, but without knowing what would be involved in fitting them I can't say whether it would be feasible in a low cost quick turn job. If too much mechanical alteration for attachment, or trimming of panels was involved, that would restrict who could do the work, and add considerably to cost and turn around.

I really like the new tables, but without knowing what would be involved in fitting them I can't say whether it would be feasible in a low cost quick turn job. If too much mechanical alteration for attachment, or trimming of panels was involved, that would restrict who could do the work, and add considerably to cost and turn around.
They added them in the coaches.

It's now the end of July. Has anyone gotten a chance to ride on one of the refreshed Superliner coaches or sleepers? I'm crossing my fingers to get one on the CONO in mid-September, but not counting on it.

Suffice it to say that they did not put in new tables even when they did a much more elaborate refurbishment of the Superliner I Sleepers way back when they put in the faux wood paneling replacing the grungy carpet on the wall.

The refurbishment is certainly an improvement but I just wonder if the systems were upgraded. On all the sleeper trips that we have ever taken the temperature controls in the sleepers have never worked. I just hope that the HVAC systems were upgraded. Then there is the suspension that can get a bit rough. Cosmetics are nice but an overall overhaul would be best. Does anyone know if any mechanical upgrades were made?

Back