New Rehabilitated Superliners unveiled

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So Amtrak has announced (a while back) that Siemens is their preferred bidder. The current new cars are from Siemens's Venture line, which in it's self is based off their Viaggio cars, and they do make a Viaggio Twin (similar to the middle picture above). With that in mind, I could see Siemens coming out with a Venture Twin design for Amtrak. The Viaggio Twin is a little too "commuter" for a Superliner replacement, but with the extra height the US gauge allows, I could see them making it more spacious.

I read that all the sleeping cars are being updated. I will be travelling on the CZ next April. Will they be updated by then?

They are upgrading over a period of years and they are not doing it train by train.

All Superliners except those on the Auto Train run in what is effectively a national pool. The refurbished cars will appear somewhat randomly one by one in various trains as they are finished. No one here has reported any actually in the wild thus far. Hopefully by next year we will be seeing a few out there.

They are upgrading over a period of years and they are not doing it train by train.

All Superliners except those on the Auto Train run in what is effectively a national pool. The refurbished cars will appear somewhat randomly one by one in various trains as they are finished. No one here has reported any actually in the wild thus far. Hopefully by next year we will be seeing a few out there.

They've been reported out on the road, but they're only being completed at the rate of 3 per week. Yesterday while in the yard to get on my Cascades equipment, I walked by the coach that is currently being worked on for the week.

Maybe not here, but I've seen reports about the refreshed coaches and lounges out on the rails.

The first western sleeper with the new pillows/sheets/etc left CHI on the TE yesterday (or the day before). 9/1/21 CZ may get the pillows/etc next week.

Last edited:
Maybe not here, but I've seen reports about the refreshed coaches and lounges out on the rails.

The first western sleeper with the new pillows/sheets/etc left CHI on the TE yesterday (or the day before). 9/1/21 CZ may get the pillows/etc next week.

I was on the Capitol Limited Tuesday night and it had new pillows/sheets/blankets. Definitely an improvement, though the blanket was still bagged as before.

If I recall from the Amfleet refresh, the program was set up so that work could be done at multiple maintenance stations, it is not heavy maintenance/overhaul ala Beech Grove. They will pop up gradually all over the network.

There were new sheets and blankets on 449 in 4920 car yesterday. There was no other work done on the car.
For Amtrak, that alone is a major upgrade. After all, they announced new linens so long ago, people were getting cinders from the steam engines on the old ones! Now if we can only get them to live up to all their small promises within 5 years of announcement and big ones within 15, they'll move up from a grade of 1 to a grade of 2.

I believe the new bedding was promised previously and is somewhat separate from the "refresh"
The blurb on Face Book from the Texas Eagle Route Manager says that the New and Improved Bedding was put onto the Eagle since it only has One Sleeper and as an enhancement for Sleeping Car Passengers since there is No Sightseer Lounge ( Why???)and Flex Meals are still being served by the One LSA trying to do 3 peoples job in the CCC!!🤪🤬

I see a refurbished SSL in this video posted on July 5th, though don't know when the trip was taken.

I see a refurbished SSL in this video posted on July 5th, though don't know when the trip was taken.

The credits at the end say he left Chicago on June 29. 2021. The guy gets off for a walk on the platform in Denver and you can see an overhead sign for the "Airport" local rail, which briefly switches to a date/time display that says June 30.

The credits at the end say he left Chicago on June 29. 2021. The guy gets off for a walk on the platform in Denver and you can see an overhead sign for the "Airport" local rail, which briefly switches to a date/time display that says June 30.
Good sleuthing!

Is there any information about where these refurbished superliners are deployed? Are there even enough to deploy more than a few?

For my Empire Builder trip in 1 month, I’m in car 731. Does this slot ever get a refurbished superliner?

Last edited:
Is there any information about where these refurbished superliners are deployed? Are there even enough to deploy more than a few?

For my Empire Builder trip in 1 month, I’m in car 731. Does this slot ever get a refurbished superliner?
I think they appear randomly wherever they are available. There is not regular rotation for them at present. So if when you get on your car it is a refurbished one, count yourself lucky. I doubt anyone can say before hand.

As more cars are completed they will become more common.

So Amtrak has announced (a while back) that Siemens is their preferred bidder. The current new cars are from Siemens's Venture line, which in it's self is based off their Viaggio cars, and they do make a Viaggio Twin (similar to the middle picture above). With that in mind, I could see Siemens coming out with a Venture Twin design for Amtrak. The Viaggio Twin is a little too "commuter" for a Superliner replacement, but with the extra height the US gauge allows, I could see them making it more spacious.

https://www.amtraktrains.com/threads/could-siemens-viaggio-be-the-next-sleeper-car.78757/

Looks like california surfliners are starting to be refurbished. New seat cushions and curtains. It looks like nothing was changed on the layout and mechanical side.

Attachments

• 20211120_221120.jpg
    20211120_221120.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 25

@Triley looks like I'll have something to do! LOL!

@Tlcooper93 at this point in time Amtrak is overhauling coaches first with the sleepers being last. I'm not sure the logic of it. At this point in time the overhaul program will be put on hold for the holiday season. This is so Amtrak can move people where they want and need to go! :)

The major design flaw of the Superliners is the tight winding stairwell in the center of the car... making it difficult to move even small carryon luggage a balancing act. It is also a barrier for handicapped.

Double level cars everywhere else have mid or base level vestibules and a short stairwell up in tandem with a short stairwell down. The other big problem is the cooling and heating systems which have been discussed in length. Ventilation is a major issue with these cars. Many find physical discomfort with this design.

Improved multi-level design is being applied to commuter rail as seen in the illustrations below. Many hope for better designed LD cars... with either one level or two.

View attachment 24162View attachment 24160

View attachment 24161
Problem is this doesn't work for full ADA accessibility. For commuter service it is good enough just to provide some seats in the middle vestibule level. But for an LD train you would ideally want the disabled passenger to have access to the diners and lounges. For that reason they would probably go single level.

I came up with an alternative solution on another thread back in April. If you haven't read it:
--------------------------------
(Updated)

Retrofit or build new Superliner diners and sightseer lounge cars as follows:

Sightseer Car:

1 - Replace lower lounge with two HP bedrooms. There already is an accessible toilet right there or completely remove lounge and toilet and replace with two fully equipped HP bedrooms.

2 - Add lift to upper level.

3 - If necessary install narrower tables or seats at one end of the car to provide accessibility to the end door that faces the dinner.

4 - Add wheelchair space somewhere in the lounge on that end.

Diner Car:

1- Make both end tables at lounge car end accessible utilizing flip down seats/table tops so that they can be used by everyone if possible.

amtrak-diagram-superliner-diningcar.jpg

Sightseer_Lounge_Car.jpg

Now a wheelchair passenger has full access to all of the passenger related amenities. Leave the coaches and sleepers alone except for converting the old H rooms into additional new Family rooms. Now you have added one or two (depending on the number of sleepers) sellable family rooms to every consist. There really is no need to have accessibility through the entire train.

Amtrak may have to ask for a waiver but this seems to provide equal and enhanced access to the most important features of the train. It doesn't cause a loss of room revenue but in fact adds to the bottom line. The Sightseer now actually generates room revenue and the H bedroom in the sleepers can be sold as a second family room.

BTW - On a recent Auto Train trip, I never saw anyone using that lower lounge.

Back