New route announced!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob_C

Lead Service Attendant
Just saw this new schedule on the Amtrak Website.

I wasn't aware a second daily Seattle-LA train was even on the table. Way to go, Amtrak!

Rob

For a brief second, the briefest of seconds, I was hopeful. But then... I realized it is 4/1/10. And I shall not be fooled. xD

By the way, I'm sorry I saw through an April fools joke so carefully prepared that quick.

Last edited by a moderator:
For a brief second, the briefest of seconds, I was hopeful. But then... I realized it is 4/1/10. And I shall not be fooled. xD
By the way, I'm sorry I saw through an April fools joke so carefully prepared that quick.
Great catch. The post could have eaten up a load of board energy with replies.

hey its real i checked amtraks website and this train is available for booking. i got my tickets for it already can't wait.

Nice joke! I noticed right away it include Tehachapi & a special car from Reno-I thought the foamers would be happy! Guess I wasn't awake enough to realize it was fake!

Wow, good joke. Someone worked hard on that timetable too. The other thing I noticed was that some stations they mark as unstaffed while they are really staffed, like Klamath Falls and Pasco. Would be a fun ride though.

hey its real i checked amtraks website and this train is available for booking. i got my tickets for it already can't wait.
And I've got a bridge in Brooklyn that's for sale. :lol: :cool:
What you are selling the Brooklyn Bridge? I sold it years ago when I lived in Brooklyn. :rolleyes:

BTW: when this thread first started here, it was still March 31. :lol:

I couldn't find anything on the Amtrak home page about this new Route. I had occasion to call Amtrak on an unrelated issue, and while on the phone with them I asked about Trains 111 and 114, The Sierra Prospector. The agent told me that there was no such Train.

That having been said, where did you fall across this bogus timetable? Somebody sure did a good job of faking a rather official looking Amtrak timetable.

Thanks for the replies guys!

The schedule was a pain and a half! Dinking around with the Coast Starlight schedule in Adobe Acrobat Creator should have been pretty straightforward, BUT Amtrak has a lot of proprietary fonts they use on their schedules so stuff like the station staffing and stations with bus connections couldn't be changed so I had to be a little creative there. I also had to make each station correspond to a slot on the existing Coast Starlight because I couldn't add or subtract boxes from the schedule. Was kinda fun though. :)

Also this is basically the fantasy route I model on my model railroad.

That GML took a split second before he called it, well that gave me a big smile. :)

Rob

The schedule was a pain and a half! Dinking around with the Coast Starlight schedule in Adobe Acrobat Creator should have been pretty straightforward, BUT Amtrak has a lot of proprietary fonts they use on their schedules so stuff like the station staffing and stations with bus connections couldn't be changed so I had to be a little creative there. I also had to make each station correspond to a slot on the existing Coast Starlight because I couldn't add or subtract boxes from the schedule. Was kinda fun though. :)
Great job, Rob.

Hey Anthony, is there a special space in the timetable museum for this? ;)

Thanks for the replies guys!
Two comments:

1. You have WAAAAAAAY too much time on your hands. :blink: :huh: ;) :p
  2. Nice JOB! :cool: :) :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice job. It must have been a lot of work. I realized it was a joke since we haven't talked for the past two years about such a new train on this site. Such a new service couldn't have escaped the sharp eyes and ears of Amtrak Unlimited fans.

I knew right away that it wasn't real since train #111 is a Regional train that only runs on weekends.

Good one!

How many missed the fact that part of the route is on the old Carson & Colorado (SP) narrow gauge abandoned in the 1930's (or early 1940's).

There are visible remains of railroad bed on Owens Valley (along US 395 corridor), serving the salt flats.
That's the narrow gauge Keeler Branch, which ended at Laws, near Bishop. It was abandoned in 1960.

However, there's never been a line between Laws and Carson City.
Well the Carson and Colorado RR ran from Keeler (Lone Pine) all the way up to Hazen, NV and from a point just south of there was Churchille, NV a short hop from Virginia City where it was to connect with the Virgina and Truckee which ran from Reno to Carson City and Virginia City.

Hazen to Mojave was planned to be a major part of the Southern Pacific's mainline trackage (standard gauge was laid and some of it is still used to day from Mojave to Lone Pine) before hard economic times set in and the route abandoned for the more circuitous Donner and Techahapi routes to Los Angeles.

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back