New rules for lounge access?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At the lounges in both New York and Boston, I noticed a sign that said that in addition to having a coupon or Select Plus/Select Executive status, you also needed to have a ticket for same-day Amtrak travel. This appears to be a change, as I used to come into Washington on an early MARC train and hang around in the Club Acela drinking coffee and reading the paper until it was time for me to go to the office. Occasionally, they would ask me what train I came in on. Sometimes I'd fib and say "I just came in on 67" and sometimes I said I came in on the MARC train. Either way, they didn't seem to care. Of course, I used the place enough that I think I would count as a "regular." Maybe this is a new rule, or maybe it's always been there, and management has decided to (sort of) start enforcing it. I don't know.

At New York, they asked about the train, but didn't demand to see the ticket. At Boston, perhaps because I was one of the 2 people in the lounge riding the LSL the attendant looked me up and asked if I wanted a ticket printed. In DC and Philly, when I went on the Pittsburgh circle trip, they didn't ask to see the ticket.

The airlines --well American, anyway--went that route a couple of years ago. My credit card gives me
Admiral's Club access, and until a few ago, I did not have to be flying American to get into their lounges.

At the lounges in both New York and Boston, I noticed a sign that said that in addition to having a coupon or Select Plus/Select Executive status, you also needed to have a ticket for same-day Amtrak travel. This appears to be a change, as I used to come into Washington on an early MARC train and hang around in the Club Acela drinking coffee and reading the paper until it was time for me to go to the office. Occasionally, they would ask me what train I came in on. Sometimes I'd fib and say
I Wonder who caused that new sign.😀

Back