Amtrak Siemens Charger locomotive (SC44, ALC42, ALC42E) (2015 - 1Q 2024)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It looks like two more Chargers are emerging from the factory and heading to Pueblo. Two of Washington's units are also being released from Pueblo and heading home.

It looks like two more Chargers are emerging from the factory and heading to Pueblo. Two of Washington's units are also being released from Pueblo and heading home.
So that would make six in the pacific northwestern?

Video from Thursday by MobileRailSpotterRxR shows Chargers 4612 and 4613 in West Sacramento after having left the Siemens factory.

New SC-44 4612 & 4613 arrived into ABQ on #4 today so they may head up to Pubelo. ImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1496686875.533319.jpgImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1496686884.173912.jpg

So that would make six in the pacific northwestern?
When they arrive, there should be 6 in in the Pacific Northwest and 2 in Pueblo.

Last edited by a moderator:
It looks there are some units ready to return from Pueblo. Additionally, two more units are almost ready at the factory. Maybe they SHOULD take over the CAF project.

A Thought ----- Charger locos in Florida, Pueblo, LAX, Oakland, SEA and soon WASH. How has Siemens had enough technical reps to caver all those locations ? Either very reliable or ???

The problem is most contracts limit the penalty to a maximum, and once you reach that, generally they lose all sense of urgency.

Amtrak #6(29) had four new Chargers on their way to the test track at Pueblo, Colorado. YouTube user RailBuffs filmed one of the Chargers setting off a hot box detector west of Denver and the four being taken off the Zephyr at Denver Union Station. It was reported elsewhere that the return trip from the test track would bring out some Chargers too.

Chargers IDTX(?) 4612 and 4613 are the third and fourth units on Amtrak #6(01). This Chicago-bound California Zephyr was four hours and thirteen minutes late at Agency.

Just got back from trip to San Francisco. On July 1, a Charger Engine was part of the consist on San Joaquin 711. I was able to get up close and film it with my new GoPro. Here are some still I took from the video. With the bright light on inside and still dark outside, I was able to see the Diesel inside really clearly. A Genesis was the lead engine on our train and the Charger the second.

GOPR0001.jpg

GOPR0001-2.jpg

GOPR0001-1.jpg

Just got back from trip to San Francisco. On July 1, a Charger Engine was part of the consist on San Joaquin 711. I was able to get up close and film it with my new GoPro. Here are some still I took from the video. With the bright light on inside and still dark outside, I was able to see the Diesel inside really clearly. A Genesis was the lead engine on our train and the Charger the second.

GOPR0001.jpg

GOPR0001-2.jpg

GOPR0001-1.jpg
Nice pics, thanks.

At first look at these engines, I didn't like the lighted side panels with the big X in the frame.

I've grown to like the design a lot. A unique emblem of power and strength on a locomotive seems quite appropriate. It's visible in the darkness, as well, blazing with light and newness setting it apart from all other locomotives (which newbies like me can't tell one from another even in daylight :( ).

It's strong, fresh, and modern, if 'modern' isn't an obsolete term. LOL.

What is stopping that engine room from becoming totally encased in snow and ice when operating the Chicago state-supported routes in the winter?

What is stopping that engine room from becoming totally encased in snow and ice when operating the Chicago state-supported routes in the winter?
If you look at seat38a's second picture, you'll realize you're actually looking into a passageway. The inner wall of the passageway is the air intakes for the engine and radiators. The passageway may be a pretty unpleasant place in winter, but the engine room proper is not directly exposed to the elements.

Looks to me like a door is between the radiator area and the engine room. That door is open here, maybe to facilitate the movement of someone to monitor the locomotive while still testing things. I imagine that the door will be shut under future normal operation (and the interior lights shut off too.)

Yes it may be a passageway but like you say, those are air intakes. What are those air intakes going to do, injest snow like a super sized vacuum. We shall see how they perform in servere winter conditions. Not even the Sprinters have been put through a prolonged intense winter yet, they've gotten by rather easy these past couple winter seasons.

Close cousins of the Sprinter have been running in Finland for the last couple of winters with no problems. Of course we do know that that American exceptionalism dictates that the snow and the laws of Physics are different in the US from the rest of the Universe. So we'll just have to wait and see. :p More seriously, there could be differences that make the US version more vulnerable. The Finnish version has actually undergone some additional winterization for operation at utpo -40C and heavier than usual snow falls. Somewhat older version have been operating in the Alps and Poland for several years now. So even if there is a problem, solutions to such are well known.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back