Amtrak Siemens Charger locomotive (SC44, ALC42, ALC42E) (2015 - 1Q 2024)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

The 4613 and a Genesis were on the one of the Hiawatha train sets today along with the "Veterans" painted cabbage no. 90208.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last I heard, the Chargers need forward facing cameras installed, until then, they aren't allowed to lead.

Nick

Last I heard, the Chargers need forward facing cameras installed, until then, they aren't allowed to lead.

Nick
I think you mean Inward Facing... No further comment.

all pictures I have seen as of late do show the camera already installed.

https://farm4.static.flickr.com/3715/32873449805_9b93389912_b.jpg
Yeah it's there. As I mentioned above I think he means in the Inward Facing.

that might be digital trainline, as of now only NJT and I believe brightline uses it instead of old style MU cables.

http://photos.nerail.org/photos/2004/04/01/2004040122452731483.jpg
Dutch, what is a "Digital Trainline"? I've never heard of such a thing. I'm used to the traditional MU connections.

The digital trainline is kind of network cable, it does not only does MU and Com, but it networks each car and each locomotive computer.

currently not many cars have it but Comet 5 and brightliner coaches do, even MUing a locomotive would only require small cable , and no longer the two 27 point jumpers.

Camera's are not a FRA requirement, it may be Amtrak rule, but silly to leave a 6 million $$ locomotive at sideline.

They came out of the factory equipped with inward and outward cameras. That isn't the hold up although it ultimately involves monitoring.

I do wish they would have added something to the paint scheme, however. I like the colors but the sides are empty and there is no logo or lettering for either the states or Amtrak.

Then perhaps you should keep a sharp watch for the 4611, which may be the first of many to fit your bill. It is floating around Chicago somewhere and there is be a picture or two that may interest you. :ph34r: Knowing this board, it will probably give you something to complain about. ^_^
Do you happen to know where those pictures are? I have looked everywhere I could think of and could not find any photos or videos of 4611 since May.
The state and the facility sent them out. Since nothing remains a secret, I'm willing to bet pictures will appear. After all, the engine is probably outside somewhere.

They came out of the factory equipped with inward and outward cameras. That isn't the hold up although it ultimately involves monitoring.

I do wish they would have added something to the paint scheme, however. I like the colors but the sides are empty and there is no logo or lettering for either the states or Amtrak.
Then perhaps you should keep a sharp watch for the 4611, which may be the first of many to fit your bill. It is floating around Chicago somewhere and there is be a picture or two that may interest you. :ph34r: Knowing this board, it will probably give you something to complain about. ^_^
Do you happen to know where those pictures are? I have looked everywhere I could think of and could not find any photos or videos of 4611 since May.
The state and the facility sent them out. Since nothing remains a secret, I'm willing to bet pictures will appear. After all, the engine is probably outside somewhere.
A picture finally appeared on Facebook today. There is a blue Amtrak logo on the sides with the words Amtrak Midwest beside it in blue on the gray background. On the front where the background is blue, the same logo and lettering is present in white. It is nothing flashy, but I personally believe it looks very good. Since it appears the locomotives are going to be painted in general Midwest lettering, will they be rotated through Illinois, Michigan, and Missouri regardless of the owner?
Sent from my SM-J327P using Amtrak Forum mobile app

A picture finally appeared on Facebook today. ... Since it appears the locomotives are going to be painted in general Midwest lettering, will they be rotated through Illinois, Michigan, and Missouri regardless of the owner?
iirc, the plan is eventually have some run-thru trains from the Lincoln Service to the Wolverine line, that is, a one-seat ride St Louis-Detroit. This move probably awaits completion of the South of the Lake segment CHI-Porter, IN as well as upgrading CHI-Joliet to 110-mph.

Those projects would require another wave of Stimulus-level appropriations, making it very hard to predict when that could happen in view of the growing chaos in D.C.

And without more slots for the Wolverines and Lincoln trains, as well as for Missouri's River Runner, seems the present slots to not fit any potential run-thru trains.

A picture finally appeared on Facebook today. There is a blue Amtrak logo on the sides with the words Amtrak Midwest beside it in blue on the gray background. On the front where the background is blue, the same logo and lettering is present in white. It is nothing flashy, but I personally believe it looks very good. Since it appears the locomotives are going to be painted in general Midwest lettering, will they be rotated through Illinois, Michigan, and Missouri regardless of the owner?

Soooo, are you going to post it here for those that have don't access or include the link for those that do have access?

Soooo, are you going to post it here for those that have don't access or include the link for those that do have access?
Sorry, I didn't know the rules for sharing someone else's photos from a private Facebook group. It appears another poster has shared on here.

Thanks for the correction. I hope they get it worked out. Anything that involves Amtrak having more capacity (including motive power capacity) is something that I and most people on this forum are all for, so I get excited about these being in service and able to lead.

Cheers,

Nick

The two loco trains brings up some speculation.

1. Checking ability of the Chargers to operate with the P-42s

2. Charger HEP plays nice with rest of equipment.

3. Then have Charger provide traction with P-42 idling.

4. Have Charger lead.

5. May be some number of miles for charger to break in ?

Photo by Robert Mueller:

attachicon.gif
20664889_10156458744913835_3228826500986243988_n.jpg
Looks much better then just the word Siemens written in big green letters. I think it looks good.

As I understand it, there was a battery fire on one of the IDOT locomotives last night on 342 (15). As per Siemens, all Charger locomotives are to be grounded until further notice.

As I understand it, there was a battery fire on one of the IDOT locomotives last night on 342 (15). As per Siemens, all Charger locomotives are to be grounded until further notice.
Wuh-oh! I certainly hope that won't be a constant problem!

It shouldn't be unlike Boeing's 787 battery issue. It'll be resolved quickly and things will move on.

a post in New Siemens Charger locomotive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back