Amtrak Siemens Charger locomotive (SC44, ALC42, ALC42E)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This video of the first Wolverine with Chargers was posted by Michigan Central Lines on Saturday. It shows Amtrak #355 at Ann Arbor with IDTX 4612 up front and IDTX 4630 on the rear.

Huron & Eastern Railfan posted this video on Sunday of Amtrak #364 at Durand led by IDTX 4614.

They're nice-looking units. I can't help hoping VIA backtracks on the yellow and black to go with something more aesthetically pleasing.

I think Amtrak would be doing themselves a disservice by basing their Chargers on the VIA Chargers...I like the MI ones, modern, sleek, and functional. The VIA ones look weird.

Frankly I also wish that Amtrak creates a livery similar to that of the Midwest version but under the "Amtrak America" brand like the new Viewliners. Bit of joke that it came to be on the new cars but is apparently not being looked at for the new power...not having a unified brand makes the company look disorganized.

Yes I remember that order. I just didn’t think that they would be testing the Chargers on LD service this early.
Amtrak is trying to avoid a separate certification process for the ALC-42s, by doing the necessary LD tests using SC-44s. Apparently FRA has designated what tests must be carried out for them to consider such. Hence the tests.

Amtrak is trying to avoid a separate certification process for the ALC-42s, by doing the necessary LD tests using SC-44s. Apparently FRA has designated what tests must be carried out for them to consider such. Hence the tests.
Interesting, I hadn’t thought about that before.

I had guessed the point of the tests was so Amtrak and Siemens discovering any weaknesses with the Charger locomotives on long distance routes before construction begins on the ALC-42s.

Oops...hope it is nothing like the Boeing 'Max' experience....:eek:
Just kidding, people...I know it is not comparable...

Love the 2020 version of the Mars Oscillating headlight. Used to see the Mars lighting up the sky back in 1948 when the Tennessean roared northbound by Forest Hill, TN when I was a kid
Nothing can compare to the 'Mars Light'...
I used to get hypnotizied, sitting in the RF seat in dome cars, as their figure '8' pattern swept across the Nebraska landscape riding the Zephyr's...and several other trains around the country.

Back