Amtrak Siemens Charger locomotive (SC44, ALC42, ALC42E)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It has the IDOT engines 28 and 32 but it isn't likely they'll stop anywhere extra. They aren't all online at the same time.

Nice ....I hope these Siemens Sprinter engines have finely tuned K5LA horns like the F-40's and not the second generation hybrid K5LA horns....

Here's a video by allaboardnv that shows how the train got moving again with a Union Pacific engine, UP 8817, in the lead. The video includes a close-up shot of the lead Charger at the Reno station.

Both Chargers are returning eastward on Amtrak #6(21). MobileRailSpotterRxR caught this California Zephyr today at Sacramento, California. P42 AMTK 14 is leading now. The front of the damaged SC-44 has been covered up.

Both Chargers are returning eastward on Amtrak #6(21). MobileRailSpotterRxR caught this California Zephyr today at Sacramento, California. P42 AMTK 14 is leading now. The front of the damaged SC-44 has been covered up.

Interesting! I would think dedication to the test would dictate turning the Chargers and still having 14 in reserve. Then again, this raises another question...why didn’t they just rearrange the engines after the incident to make 14 the leader and not attach the UP engine?

Interesting! I would think dedication to the test would dictate turning the Chargers and still having 14 in reserve. Then again, this raises another question...why didn’t they just rearrange the engines after the incident to make 14 the leader and not attach the UP engine?
Since it occurred on single track, there may not have been a siding nearby to facilitate a swap. Even on double track, where the next switch is located would need to be taken into consideration.

I am actually surprised that the front coupler brake pipes of the front SC-44 were working just fine so as to be able to attach the rescue locomotive. The collision was a glancing blow to the rear of the truck or something like that I suppose.

Here Urea or Diesel exhaust fuel (DEF) is delivered to our large gasoline stations by a dedicated tanker trailer. Have not observed any truck or trailer carrying DEF and Diesel in separate compartments. If any observer has seen a truck so equipped then that distributor will get contract. Or distributor will supply two trucks ?A 5000 gallon truck for diesel and 1000 for DEF should be enough except for any route that has 3 locos ( EB in winter )

Here's a couple videos from yesterday of Amtrak #6(21) with the two Chargers. Carter Rose caught it east of Lincoln, Nebraska.

Metra BNSF Rails filmed it near the end of its journey at Riverside, Illinois.

The videos appeared to show 4 cars before the diner. Would there be 3 sleepers in addition to the transdorm in the dead of Winter?
Yep, along with an extra baggage car. My thoughts are they added these cars for weight to “stress” the engines a little more on the trip. When 5 was outbound in Galesburg, the first (forward) sleeper didn’t open it’s door, thus I believe it was deadheading.

Here's a video by jca1995 of the southbound Auto Train, Amtrak #53(02), with the Charger IDTX 4632 in between two P40DCs.

Here's another video of this train by M. R. Newton.

Here's a video by jca1995 of the southbound Auto Train, Amtrak #53(02), with the Charger IDTX 4632 in between two P40DCs.

Here's another video of this train by M. R. Newton.

I wonder why it was sandwiched rather than in the lead? One would think they'd put it in the lead for testing.

I wonder why it was sandwiched rather than in the lead? One would think they'd put it in the lead for testing.

It’s been a while, but I think they used a similar phased approach when they were testing/introducing MARC Chargers on trains with paying passengers. First, they had a Charger as a trailing unit behind a MP36PH-3C. Then leading a MP36PH-3C. Finally, the Charger was trusted by itself. That allowed them to work out any problems systematically with lower initial risk. They were less cautious with pure test trains without paying passengers.

Last edited:
My take on testing chargers is different. Only run them leading a little as possible. Instead let a P-40 or P-42 lead and take the next 20 vehicle crossing accidents. Let us save the Chargers as much as possible.

Back