Amtrak Siemens Charger locomotive (SC44, ALC42, ALC42E)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After so many years of Amtrak's second "rainbow era" with Phase V locomotives, Phase III Viewliner II cars, and Phase VI Superliners and Amfleet... I'm hoping that Phase VII will be a return to a more consistent look.

After so many years of Amtrak's second "rainbow era" with Phase V locomotives, Phase III Viewliner II cars, and Phase VI Superliners and Amfleet... I'm hoping that Phase VII will be a return to a more consistent look.
Me too!

And currently, on the Surfline, there are some trains with three different car liveries!

The Surfliner car, California (Capitol Corridor) car, and superliner. And you will sometimes see a p42 on it as well. It's so irritating to me!

I agree...and especially dislike all the individual state schemes. If they are Amtrak, they should all be in uniform Amtrak scheme. If another agency operates them, then they should not be in Amtrak scheme...

I agree...and especially dislike all the individual state schemes. If they are Amtrak, they should all be in uniform Amtrak scheme. If another agency operates them, then they should not be in Amtrak scheme...
Personally, I like the unique schemes! It gives them identity I guess.

Personally, I like the unique schemes! It gives them identity I guess.
I am sure most railfans would agree with your view...part of the hobby is spotting all the differences great and small in equipment. If all were identical, it would be boring to some...

I disagree with you on this one. The states are paying the money to purchase the equipment and operate the trains... and they are entitled to paint them however they want. I don't blame most of them for wanting to have a brand unique from Amtrak's national network. Heck, even Amtrak has a unique brand for Acela to distance it from the equipment used on the national network.

I disagree with you on this one. The states are paying the money to purchase the equipment and operate the trains... and they are entitled to paint them however they want. I don't blame most of them for wanting to have a brand unique from Amtrak's national network. Heck, even Amtrak has a unique brand for Acela to distance it from the equipment used on the national network.
I agree with you. Just because Amtrak is contracted to run a service does not make it an Amtrak service. Different liveries for different service is standard practice all over the world even when run by the same outfit. It is mostly done for differential branding identities.

I agree with you. Just because Amtrak is contracted to run a service does not make it an Amtrak service. Different liveries for different service is standard practice all over the world even when run by the same outfit. It is mostly done for differential branding identities.
And I wonder how many people have already gotten on a corridor train instead of an LD train by accident WITH different liveries, surely it would increase if they looked identical

And I wonder how many people have already gotten on a corridor train instead of an LD train by accident WITH different liveries, surely it would increase if they looked identical
Usually it is harder to get on an LD train by accident.

But legitimate problems that exist in station along the NEC is among Acela, Regional and Commuter Service. Those would probably be much more severe if everything had the same livery.

I have seen such issues arise at stations like Metropark where due to local dispatching variance on a particular day trains might come in in different order from normal, confusing people. Acela conductors have to announce repeatedly, and Regional ones a little less so in order to keep passengers with invalid tickets on those trains from getting on. During inbound commute hours it gets tough when the platform is jam packed with NJT riders and an Acela appears out of sequence. Some small amount of misboardings happen from time to time, but in general they are rare.

But legitimate problems that exist in station along the NEC is among Acela, Regional and Commuter Service. Those would probably be much more severe if everything had the same livery.

I have seen such issues arise at stations like Metropark where due to local dispatching variance on a particular day trains might come in in different order from normal, confusing people. Acela conductors have to announce repeatedly, and Regional ones a little less so in order to keep passengers with invalid tickets on those trains from getting on. During inbound commute hours it gets tough when the platform is jam packed with NJT riders and an Acela appears out of sequence. Some small amount of misboardings happen from time to time, but in general they are rare.
This is a sad comment on people in the NE( especially Jerseyites), the fact that they cant tell an Acela or other Amtrak Train from a NJT one is sad! 🤣

Okay, I see your point, there. There should be a clear difference in cases like that, to help prevent that. Commuter rail should have no Amtrak reference at all.
But services like the San Joaquins or the San Diego trains, or the North Carolina trains are not commuter trains, but really part of the Amtrak national network, and their livery should reflect that. Those trains are sold by, staffed by, and managed by Amtrak, and their livery should reflect that. If the state agency owns the equipment used, they should limit any markings to something like an equipment trust plate, like railroads used to in places. If the state agency wants to take over their operation, then let them, and remove all references to Amtrak. JMHO...

Okay, I see your point, there. There should be a clear difference in cases like that, to help prevent that. Commuter rail should have no Amtrak reference at all.
But services like the San Joaquins or the San Diego trains, or the North Carolina trains are not commuter trains, but really part of the Amtrak national network, and their livery should reflect that.
I think they do, they all clearly state Amtrak, but have nice liveries that match their regions to give them identity.

And on the point to getting on the wrong train, whenever Surfliner 785 comes into Fullerton, they have to announce that it's not the Southwest Chief, as it comes in just a few minutes before train 4 and was usually (Not sure about now) on the same track as the Chief.

I've also seen numerous people being confused whether or not a train is theirs or not, mainly confusing the Surfliner with Metrolink.

But services like the San Joaquins or the San Diego trains, or the North Carolina trains are not commuter trains, but really part of the Amtrak national network, and their livery should reflect that. Those trains are sold by, staffed by, and managed by Amtrak, and their livery should reflect that. If the state agency owns the equipment used, they should limit any markings to something like an equipment trust plate, like railroads used to in places. If the state agency wants to take over their operation, then let them, and remove all references to Amtrak. JMHO...
Sorry. Amtrak California trains are not national network trains. That is a fact, not an opinion.

As for livery I just disagree with your entire thesis. But of course we are each entitled to our opinions. 😏

This is a sad comment on people in the NE( especially Jerseyites), the fact that they cant tell an Acela or other Amtrak Train from a NJT one is sad! 🤣
Usually it is some visitor from places like Texas who are befuddled by things like trains that are the ones that make those mistakes. Not the locals 🙄

This is an unusual windmill to tilt at. If the states pay for the rolling stock, they have the right to paint it in whatever scheme they please regardless of where one books the tickets. It is vastly preferable to have them bookable through Amtrak's website where travelers can easily book trains for a journey mixed between state service and national trains. Discouraging that through silly requirements about paint schemes to satisfy railfans isn't going to happen.

Of course, one would hope they can put their heads together and come up with plans that work well for everyone. NYS paid for the new paint on the P32-DM fleet used for Empire Service, ADK, Ethan Allen, and the Leaf, and it looks pretty good. I realize that they do also pull the LSL NYP-ALB, but it wouldn't make much sense to segregate units for that.

This is an unusual windmill to tilt at. If the states pay for the rolling stock, they have the right to paint it in whatever scheme they please regardless of where one books the tickets. It is vastly preferable to have them bookable through Amtrak's website where travelers can easily book trains for a journey mixed between state service and national trains. Discouraging that through silly requirements about paint schemes to satisfy railfans isn't going to happen.
Good point. "Money talks ". If Amtrak doesn't care, why should I? 🤷‍♂️:)

Last edited:
It looks like Siemens has released what the Charger will look like in a model. They did the same thing with the ACS-64.

See here: http://www.mainlinediesels.net/imgs/SiemensCharger_Profile_BottomLeft.jpg

They also did the same thing with the ACS-64: http://www.railcolor.net/imgs/content/model_siemens_acs2.jpg

Side note: EMD has also revealed the final look of the new F125. See here: http://www.progressrail.com/cda/files/4546792/7/2-sidersENG_LTR_proof_rev5RevH_Screen.pdf

Does anyone know when this year the new locomotives will start to arrive and which routes they will go on first?

Good point. "Money talks ". If Amtrak doesn't care, why should I? 🤷‍♂️:)
Suffice it to say it is not Amtrak's money that is being used to paint State's cars and engines. Sometimes even Amtrak's engines are painted using state funds, like the P32ACDMs of Empire Service. 🤷‍♂️

BTW, I think the whole Acela Regional branding attempt, including the few Amtubes that were painted in that livery was a fiasco from the getgo and simply confused everyone. So it was good when they reverted back to Phase IV from that and of course they removed all paint (almost) from the AEM-7s leaving them bare metal for the remainder of their working life. Painting a fluted side is a pain in the behind anyway.

The GE P-42 have held up a lot better than the AEM-7’s which were failing before being replaced. The P-42 should be kept on hand as spares and for potential service increases for added train cars and/or additional frequency. As for livery, it doesn’t impact me. Though there are some livery’s that I have seen that are ugly and are used on brands I wouldn’t use anyways like Spirit Airlines Yellow planes. The Amtrak livery designs are all decent and the new livery is no exception.

Back