Amtrak Siemens Charger locomotive (SC44, ALC42, ALC42E)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They won't be in service this year. If they are, I doubt it'll be those routes.

What does it matter? Well truly, it doesn't make much of a difference to the regular traveler. However to railfans, it makes a lot of difference. It will simply be sad to see the P42's (current engines) be replaced, as we've all gotten used to seeing them haul our trains over the years.
I was stating "why does it matter" meaning my question, in case anyone wondered why I would ask that. I suspect they will be a big difference from a technical standpoint, fuel and , I am guessing noise.
I am excited, but sad I won't get to ride behind one this fall.......... Thanks Cal1

Sure! Until one fails! Then it's not fun at all.

It's funny one time a railfan was asking me in advance what type of locomotive we would have on a trip in advance. And I told him but he didn't like the answer. My response was "All that matters to me is we get from point A to Point B on time. If it can manage that it's a good locomotive." He never asked me again.

It's funny one time a railfan was asking me in advance what type of locomotive we would have on a trip in advance. And I told him but he didn't like the answer. My response was "All that matters to me is we get from point A to Point B on time. If it can manage that it's a good locomotive." He never asked me again.
There are fans who care about the motive power. I am not one of them.

Then there are fans who care about the rolling stock (is that a Viewliner I or a Viewliner II?). I admit, I am one of them.

I feel like noting that the change from P42s (or in California, F59PHIs, or in NY, P32AC-DMs) to Chargers will be a major change in emissions. It's going straight from Tier Zero to Tier Four all in one go. Prior to the Chargers Amtrak was running only unrenovated Tier Zero equipment. The P42s were actually somewhat better than the Tier Zero standards, but still, going all the way to Tier Four is a huge jump.

From dieselnet, I have line haul standards for tier 0 not-remanufactured:

HC*CONOxPM

And average emissions back in 1997:

P42s were probably a bit better than that. But here are the Tier Four standards:
0.14f1.51.3f0.03

Most noticeable to passengers is the drop in PM (particulate matter), followed by the drop in HC (not-fully-combusted hydrocarbons). In short, the exhaust smoke from the Chargers should be a lot less smelly and irritating.

I feel like noting that the change from P42s (or in California, F59PHIs, or in NY, P32AC-DMs) to Chargers will be a major change in emissions. It's going straight from Tier Zero to Tier Four all in one go. Prior to the Chargers Amtrak was running only unrenovated Tier Zero equipment. The P42s were actually somewhat better than the Tier Zero standards, but still, going all the way to Tier Four is a huge jump.

HC*CONOxPM

P42s were probably a bit better than that. But here are the Tier Four standards:
0.14f1.51.3f0.03

Most noticeable to passengers is the drop in PM (particulate matter), followed by the drop in HC (not-fully-combusted hydrocarbons). In short, the exhaust smoke from the Chargers should be a lot less smelly and irritating.
That would have been very helpful for visibility, in the days of Vista-domes...;)

There are fans who care about the motive power. I am not one of them.

Then there are fans who care about the rolling stock (is that a Viewliner I or a Viewliner II?). I admit, I am one of them.
I care about both, but more the rolling stock

HC*CONOxPM

0.14f1.51.3f0.03

Presumably, these standards are grams per brake horsepower-hr for the engine running a test cycle on a dynamometer, not grams per mile from the locomotive running on the tracks.

Amtrak]SACRAMENTO, Calif. – Siemens is putting the finishing touches on Amtrak’s first ALC-42 locomotive, with its departure scheduled for this weekend. The first locomotive, AMTK No. 300, will be hauled in the consist of Amtrak’s California Zephyr departing Emeryville on June 12, a source close to the railroad tells Trains News Wire. After arriving in Chicago on Monday the unit will be set out for a media even scheduled on Tuesday at Amtrak’s facility just south of downtown. The unit is then scheduled to continue east from Chicago on the Capitol Limited departing June 16.

Saw a few of the Amtrak California Chargers today. One was pulling Capitol Corridor while the other was in the Oakland yard.
Strike that. It was pulling a San Joaquin. I saw it leaving Emeryville, then parked at Jack London. I took a photo of it, and it was definitely pulling the single level cars that only the San Joaquins use around here.

Two videos of AMTK 300 leaving California on Amtrak #6(12) from yesterday. One by John's Junction Railroad Videos shows the Zephyr stopping at Martinez, California.

This one from Adam Ghimenti shows the train at its stop at Davis, California.

Back