Amtrak Siemens Charger locomotive (SC44, ALC42, ALC42E)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
#6(17) has not had a quick journey. Sunday it lost a few hours from a "disabled freight train" in Colorado. Monday morning it had mechanical problems in Nebraska. I read it was the lead locomotive breaking down. An engine from BNSF was added to the front. Daniel Gresham caught the train arriving nine hours late at Omaha.

#6 was over eleven hours late leaving Ottumwa, Iowa when I saw it. It was held about an hour just east of Albia, Iowa at Maxon to meet #5(19).

DSC00864.JPG

AMTK 301 made it onto Amtrak #30. This eastbound Capitol Limited was caught by L-Train RailProductions in Chesterton, Indiana.

IDragon auz posted this video today of #30 at Meyersdale, Pennsylvania.

Couple of side notes about 301's trip on the Zephyr. At the 0:50 second mark on this first video, a person is seen getting out of the cab of 301 with a vest that has the Charger name and image on its back.

The YouTube channel Grounded Life Travel was onboard the train carrying 301. There's only a few scenes with the 301, including one at 11:04 where the engineers are quoted as saying it was on its way to Delaware to have its paint job finished. Still, I thought the passengers' perspective on what happens on a very late train was unique.

Back when Amtrak introduced GE Genesis locomotives to replace their EMD F40PH locomotives in the 1990s, it retained F40PHs for the Maple Leaf because that train was operated by VIA Rail crews in Canada, and since VIA Rail didn't have their own GE Genesis locomotives before 2001, their crews weren't capable of operating such locomotives back then. With these new Siemen Charger locomotives, could Amtrak run into a similar problem if/when they try to assign such locomotives to the Maple Leaf (when service to Canada is restored)?

Back when Amtrak introduced GE Genesis locomotives to replace their EMD F40PH locomotives in the 1990s, it retained F40PHs for the Maple Leaf because that train was operated by VIA Rail crews in Canada, and since VIA Rail didn't have their own GE Genesis locomotives before 2001, their crews weren't capable of operating such locomotives back then. With these new Siemen Charger locomotives, could Amtrak run into a similar problem if/when they try to assign such locomotives to the Maple Leaf (when service to Canada is restored)?
VIA Rail is getting Chargers and Venture sets too, or something similar. It's likely that there will be a period similar, as I doubt they will be delivered to each company and put on each route at the same time.

Also frequently on the Maple Leaf during the transition was the GP40TC fleet which Amtrak acquired from GO Transit. Most of these remain in work service with Amtrak after rebuilding and renumbering.

Heard it was between Ragan & Davis interlockings, though I saw a video of it go further south, so I think it may have been “turning” at ?Bacon?

Ragan & Davis are between Wilm & Newark DE stations & I think Bacon is the next one south of Newark. Wilmington Shops is just north of Wilm station.

Heard it was between Ragan & Davis interlockings, though I saw a video of it go further south, so I think it may have been “turning” at ?Bacon?

Ragan & Davis are between Wilm & Newark DE stations & I think Bacon is the next one south of Newark. Wilmington Shops is just north of Wilm station.

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe that you're correct Betty.

Michigan only place to test 110 MPH and PTC ??
NEC has PTC. It is called ACSES. Michigan Line’s is called ITCS. I am not sure where there is operational I-ETMS at 110mph today, other than on the bits of NEC where I-ETMS is installed in addition to ACSES. I am not sure 110mph is allowed under I-ETMS there though since they are for only freight train us limited to 70-80mph. By this time next year there will be quite a bit of it on FECR, but not vanilla I-ETMS.

They did leave Wilmington yesterday heading south to DC. There are a few pictures on FB of the move.

Capitol Limited to Chicago, then probably a 9xx symbol to the yard in New Buffalo or potentially even Gearhart Yard in Kalamazoo. I wouldn’t expect a deadhead move on the back of a revenue train.

NEC has PTC. It is called ACSES. Michigan Line’s is called ITCS. I am not sure where there is operational I-ETMS at 110mph today, other than on the bits of NEC where I-ETMS is installed in addition to ACSES. I am not sure 110mph is allowed under I-ETMS there though since they are for only freight train us limited to 70-80mph. By this time next year there will be quite a bit of it on FECR, but not vanilla I-ETMS.
IETMS also used by MARC on NEC. NEC has its own special software module in IETMS as it has to work with a 9-aspect cab signal system.

Last edited:
Video from yesterday by RailDog Productions shows the westbound Empire Builder at Milwaukee with AMTK 300 on the end. Reports elsewhere say the Charger was dropped off at St. Paul for crew familiarization.

Back