Airo - Amfleet I replacement Siemens Inter City Trainsets (ICT)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Arguably the twin unit dual mode Chargers that go with the Airos may need to be separately tested and certified though. Also the Cab cars might need to be tested to 125mph. I don;t know what testing and certification has been done for the California Cab Cars.
I would expect they get tested to 125mph unless the state and midwest decided that isn't worth doing in which case they'll be tested for 110mph.

Both the Venture cars and Chargers are operating at 125 mph in commercial service on Brightline as we speak. There is nothing more to test. They are already certified for 125mph commercial operation.

Arguably the twin unit dual mode Chargers that go with the Airos may need to be separately tested and certified though. Also the Cab cars might need to be tested to 125mph. I don't know what testing and certification has been done for the California Cab Cars.
"This train works, fix your tracks", is a discussion Alstom would like to be having about the Avelia Liberty for Acela. But seriously, the recent back and forth in this thread indicates the Airo, other than cab car and auxiliary power car, has been approved for the NER, including the computer modeling which by contrast is holding up the Avelia. Does the higher speed category of the Avelia trigger a more thorough real-world vetting the modeling? Or does it come down to how the contracts were written?

Just seems to me the Brightline 125mph brand new track is akin to a test track at TTC in Colorado, and I assume the Avelia passed that test, before it was released to Gritty and the Phanatic* in Philadelphia. It's good to know the Airo, modulo cab and aux, passed the NER testing. My lazy days waiting for an engine change at WAS will tighten up a bit.

(*) Sports reference.

Just seems to me the Brightline 125mph brand new track is akin to a test track at TTC in Colorado, and I assume the Avelia passed that test, before it was released to Gritty and the Phanatic* in Philadelphia. It's good to know the Airo, modulo cab and aux, passed the NER testing. My lazy days waiting for an engine change at WAS will tighten up a bit.

(*) Sports reference.
The 125mph certification of Brightline rolling stock was done based on testing on the NEC. When the certification happened Brightline did not even have the base of the roadbed on which track was yet to be laid that became 125mph track ;)

More propaganda with some nice shots of the assembly lines:

https://media.amtrak.com/2023/10/amtrak-airo-production-stimulates-nationwide-economy/
Given that it’s October 2023, do we think it may be possible the Cascades sees service something in 2025, rather than 2026? Presumably there is still much to do, but 30ish months seems like a long lead time from first car to first revenue train set.
Oregon DOT expects deliveries in "2025 and 2026". That in a msg that I received this week.

The FY25 Grant Request includes some financial information about the Airo Project. The Airo Project has final completion date of 2035 with total cost of $4.125 billion with planned expenditure so far of $3.891Billion. All these are IIJA Appropriated funds.

Cross-posting because relevant:
Thanks!

Do you suppose it is a small space for baggage right behind the cab in that? We have been discussing off and on about baggage space and whether there will be any checked baggage service at all anywhere in the Airo age.

Thanks!

Do you suppose it is a small space for baggage right behind the cab in that? We have been discussing off and on about baggage space and whether there will be any checked baggage service at all anywhere in the Airo age.
Funnily enough, I also learned this tidbit on the Venture cab cars, so I can only assume the Airos will be a similar set up. The guy answering seems to work for Caltrans and has provided good info on the launch of the Ventures there before, so take that as you will. Hopefully we can see pictures of the inside of those soon enough.

3.JPG

Back