Fifteen (15) battery-diesel hybrid trainsets with a short​
term option to acquire two more), consisting of an ALC-42E​
locomotive and six passenger cars, for use on the Empire Service,​
Ethan Allen Express, Adirondack, and Maple Leaf. The passenger​
car closest to the locomotive will contain a battery which will​
supply electricity to the locomotive for power when operating​
around New York Penn Station, eliminating the need for third rail​
propulsion.​

"The passenger car closest to the locomotive will contain a battery" seems to imply that the battery will be in a car that also carries passengers. And there is no mention of a "supplemental powered truck" in the battery-diesel description. Seems to me that acceleration just pulling into and out of NYP would not be of enough concern to justify the cost of the additional powered truck.

jis

Chief Dispatcher
Staff member
Administator
Gathering Team Member
"The passenger car closest to the locomotive will contain a battery" seems to imply that the battery will be in a car that also carries passengers. And there is no mention of a "supplemental powered truck" in the battery-diesel description. Seems to me that acceleration just pulling into and out of NYP would not be of enough concern to justify the cost of the additional powered truck.
What proportion of the car will be occupied by batteries is also a piece of detail that possibly does not belong in such a high level description, and hence is not mentioned.

rickycourtney

Conductor
My curiosity is if these batteries will simply be used to push/pull the trainset into NYP, or if they will enable a “hybrid” operation (think like a Prius) and also improve fuel economy.

jis

Chief Dispatcher
Staff member
Administator
Gathering Team Member
My curiosity is if these batteries will simply be used to push/pull the trainset into NYP, or if they will enable a “hybrid” operation (think like a Prius) and also improve fuel economy.
The Prius Prime plugin (I own one) notionally uses two separate batteries, one for the hybrid operation and the other for the plugin operation. This is to make sure that hybrid operation does not drain the traction battery. Afterall you would not want to discover that you had no charge left when you needed it in the tunnel because hybrid operation drained everything. I wonder if that complexity is part of the battery-diesel plan.