New sleeper cars 21st century features?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Assuming Amtrak's new sleepers which apparently have not gone into service yet have the 21st century LED light features, does anyone know what else they have?

USB ports?

More outlets?

Hotel-like key card door locks?

Room monitor screens to show information?

Built-in system to send/receive notification to cell phones like announcements (dining, arrivals, conductor info, etc) and ability to contact SCA?

Bluetooth support for announcements/communication with passengers?

Smart HVAC?

Wow. The new sleepers have the same amount of outlets that the old sleepers have? I think my roomettes on the EB only had one outlet, but i have to admit I didn't look too hard. I think the bedroom I peeked into had two. Adding an additional outlet in the roomettes and bedrooms would take a certain amount of heavying up the electric for the car, but it wouldn't be that insurmountable. It is unfortunate that Amtrak chose to not stipulate an increased amount of receptacles. And if you are installing an outlet, you might as well choose an outlet with the pair of USB's on it. Same space, only slightly more in price if memory serves.
The other ideas would be great to have, but we are talking Amtrak here...

Well, so much for Amtrak's appealing to millennials! 21st century food with 19th century rooms!
And all with prices too expensive for most Millennials to afford! I think the VIIs have LEDs and larger tables in the roomettes, both other than that the major difference is they get rid of the prison style toilets right next to the seats in favor of shared WCs. Doors that can be locked from outside seem like a ridiculously simple update, but I think Amtrak preferred to keep the VISTA as similar to the VISTA as possible.

For comparison, here's a look at the new sleeper on Austrian RR's night service between Vienna and Rome (14 hours). There's a look at the sleeper lounge in the station and the tour of the bedroom starts at 5:00:

Interestingly, the on time arrival in Rome at 9:22 AM isn't even remarked upon, it must be so common and expected.

Looks like there is one outlet in the bedroom and one in the private bathroom.

For comparison, here's a look at the new sleeper on Austrian RR's night service between Vienna and Rome (14 hours). There's a look at the sleeper lounge in the station and the tour of the bedroom starts at 5:00:

Interestingly, the on time arrival in Rome at 9:22 AM isn't even remarked upon, it must be so common and expected.

Looks like there is one outlet in the bedroom and one in the private bathroom.

We took the OBB from Salzburg to Vienna in Sep and loved it in coach as well as the Vienna train bus station. Very different than the Hungarian train. To me, the west European trains are very similar to each other...but never tried the sleepers

And all with prices too expensive for most Millennials to afford! I think the VIIs have LEDs and larger tables in the roomettes, both other than that the major difference is they get rid of the prison style toilets right next to the seats in favor of shared WCs. Doors that can be locked from outside seem like a ridiculously simple update, but I think Amtrak preferred to keep the VISTA as similar to the VISTA as possible.
I cant imagine having a smelly toilet in a roomette, beneath a seat. But I've never tried the Eastern trains. I do agree that small improvements would be welcome, but our trips are always centered on the food.

I cant imagine having a smelly toilet in a roomette, beneath a seat. But I've never tried the Eastern trains. I do agree that small improvements would be welcome, but our trips are always centered on the food.
It only smells when you are using it. Once you flush it, no more smell, in my experience.

I am hesitant on whether USB ports are actually useful. Most travelers in sleeping cars would have to charge their devices at their destinations and therefore would have USB charging blocks. USB-A is quickly becoming obsolete, and by the time the VL-IIs are due for a refresh, USB-C might not be around anymore.

I like that there are more outlets, but I agree that they need to be able to be locked from the outside. I don't think a key card system is all that complicated, I would just be concerned about maintenance, and let's be honest, current Amtrak management is never going to go for that.

I am one of the oldest Gen Z-ers and all sleeper rooms are often way out of my budget. Didn't used to be so bad.

The main advantage of USB outlets is that you don't have to take up an actual electrical outlet in order to charge your devices.

As for the changeover to USB-C, won't adapters be available?

I am hesitant on whether USB ports are actually useful. Most travelers in sleeping cars would have to charge their devices at their destinations and therefore would have USB charging blocks. USB-A is quickly becoming obsolete, and by the time the VL-IIs are due for a refresh, USB-C might not be around anymore.

I like that there are more outlets, but I agree that they need to be able to be locked from the outside. I don't think a key card system is all that complicated, I would just be concerned about maintenance, and let's be honest, current Amtrak management is never going to go for that.

I am one of the oldest Gen Z-ers and all sleeper rooms are often way out of my budget. Didn't used to be so bad.
I’ve stayed in hotels where there are USB outlets in the lamp stands. Sure, I carry a charger with me, but it’s nice to have one less thing to handle and risk forgetting when packing.

They're used at thousands of hotels around the world. Are they really a maintenance issue?

I saw one video where a user-selectable push-button combination, lock similar to in-room safes, was used instead of a key card. (It might have been on an overnight ferry.)

Back