New Southern Belle

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In my opinion, it would be best to reinstate the Pioneer and the Desert Wind. The cities served by these trains have gotten a lot bigger since they were discontinued.

The Pioneer would be a section of the Zephyr, and would leave Denver to serve Cheyenne, Boise, Portland, and Seattle.

The Desert Wind would also be a section of the Zephyr, and would leave Salt Lake City to serve Las Vegas and Los Angeles.
It's not like they don't have an historical reference to follow. 🤔

I know places like Columbus, OH, rank high on the list of large cities not served by Amtrak, but wonder where Metropolitan Las Vegas is on that list.

It's not like they don't have an historical reference to follow. 🤔

I know places like Columbus, OH, rank high on the list of large cities not served by Amtrak, but wonder where Metropolitan Las Vegas is on that list.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_major_cities_in_U.S._lacking_inter-city_rail_service
Las Vegas ranks first on the list, followed by Columbus, Nashville, and Louisville. If you don't count Maricopa as serving Phoenix (and I don't), then Phoenix would easily be #1.

Al those cities are proposed to gain regional service on the "Amtrak Connects US" map released last month, but that map doesn't show any new long-distance services. It seems that the 750-mile rule for state subsidies is effectively preventing any new long-distance services from even being considered.

Back