Quantcast

New study on Scranton - NYC rail

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

Pere Flyer

Lead Service Attendant
Looks like an easy opportunity for Biden to lock down his home-ish state by supporting the effort?

jis

Conductor
AU Lifetime Supporter
Gathering Team Member
The question of relevance is "Who is going to bell the NJTransit cat?" Afterall, someone has to take responsibility for rebuilding the Lackawanna Cutoff in NJ and actually make it happen in a timely manner. And while at it, who is going to shoot the NJ Sierra Club which has been opposing the restoration of rail service on the Lackawanna Cutoff, since presumably those SUV environmentalists love to sit in I-80 traffic jams in their SUVs.

Palmland

OBS Chief
One of our sons just moved to Stroudsburg, PA, just west of Delaware Water Gap and Slateford. So we now get to ‘enjoy’ I-80. The D-L RR still operates from Scranton to Slateford Jct. and NS connection so filling in this gap seems like a no brainer. But without national rather than state funding, I’m sure NJ will be reluctant to invest in something that primarily benefits PA. This is really why we have Amtrak, but good luck with them investing.

Mailliw

Train Attendant
I think Scranton's best chance for passenger service is piggybacking in a Southern Tier corridor on the Empire Service.

neroden

Conductor
I think Scranton's best chance for passenger service is piggybacking in a Southern Tier corridor on the Empire Service.
Routewise, the Southern Tier (Binghamton, Owego, Elmira, Corning, etc) wants a route to NYC through Scranton (much faster than via Port Jervis).