New to AGR

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grannie_Roz

Train Attendant
I just signed up for AGR today and will be traveling next month, however, the trip was booked months ago. When we go to print out the tickets will we be able to provide the member number and still get the points? Or do we need to call an agent?

Also, how do you get points for staying at hotels and renting cars? How can I find out what hotels and car rentals are part of this program? If we've already booked them (but haven't paid yet), will we get the points?

So many questions, so little time.... :eek:hboy:

Just call 1-800-USA-RAIL and speak to an agent. Tell them you wish to add your AGR number to your reservation. Then, when you pick up your tickets, you will be all set. You can also add the number using a Quiktrak machine when you pick up your tickets, or an agent should be able to do this when you pick up your tickets at a staffed station. But if you want to get it out of the way now, just call Amtrak and they will add it for you.

Whenever you book your tickets (either online or by phone), just give your AGR number. (There is a space to enter it when you book online. If you have a profile and entered it once, it is automatically filled in!
smile.gif
) In your case, you can just call Amtrak (at 1-800-USA-RAIL) to add your number to your reservation, or you can tell the agent to add it when you pick up your tickets.

The AGR number DOES NOT have to be printed on the ticket, but MUST be on the reservation to receive automatic credit of points! Otherwise, you have to contact AGR later.

As far as hotels, car rentals, etc..., just be sure to enter your AGR when you make your reservation or check in. You usually will find Amtrak listed in the list which says "Airline"!
tongue.gif
(Remember "Nobody travels by train"!
laugh.gif
) And then when you check-in or check-out, make sure is indicates something like "Airline: 2V (and your AGR #)! Then it should automatically post.

When you use Points for Shopping, ALWAYS enter the site from your AGR account and the Points for Shopping portal! Otherwise you will not earn points!
sad.gif
Example: If you go to Best But directly from their own web site, you will NOT get AGR points. but if you enter Best Buy via the Points for Shopping portal, you WILL get points!

HINT: If you exit even for a moment and go back, it may not register that you entered thru Points for Shopping. Before I check out, I ALWAYS re-enter the site via the Points for Shopping portal just to be sure it registers that I entered via Points per Shopping and will get points!

I did the same thing. Booked my travel then joined AGR. I sent Amtrak & the hotel (La Quinta) emails via their websites asking them to add the AGR # to my reservations and they both replied back...Done.

Thanks, I feel better about all this now. I thought maybe we had lost out on the points by doing things in the wrong order..

Roz,

I note that you said "When we go to print out the tickets". Yet you said "I just signed up for AGR today".

If it's only you on the trip, then you're fine. If however someone else is traveling with you, then they also need an AGR number. Otherwise the points for their ticket are lost. You will only get points for your ticket; not for everyone else in the room with you.

So sign them up too and get their number on the reservation! :)

Roz,

I note that you said "When we go to print out the tickets". Yet you said "I just signed up for AGR today".

If it's only you on the trip, then you're fine. If however someone else is traveling with you, then they also need an AGR number. Otherwise the points for their ticket are lost. You will only get points for your ticket; not for everyone else in the room with you.

Done! Although, we should have done the referral and earned the extra 500 points. <ratz>

Do kids earn points too?

Do kids earn points too?
Yes!
biggrin.gif

I believe the minimum age to sign them up on line is something like 16, but you can - and should - call to sign them up too! Try the "referral" method first, if that doesn't work, be sure to call. Then apply everyone's AGR number to their reservations!
cool.gif

Actually, no age restrictions at all. They just need an email address. I have a couple of email addresses I use for different things so I used one of my alternate email addresses to sign up my son so that he can earn points, too. I had thought that you had to call for minors, but when I talked to AGR, they said no, he just needs an email address to sign up online.

Roz,

Done! Although, we should have done the referral and earned the extra 500 points. <ratz>

Do kids earn points too?
Daaaaaannngg, you learn quick :lol: You'll be taking free trips in no time. :p

So, I will only get AGR points for my portion of the trip? I reserved my trip from WIL to PRO for 2 people. Myself and my daughter.

Back