New to Amtrak-carryons and food questions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll be Amtraking from CVS to POU with stop in NYP. Will an "underseater" bag fit under an Amtrak seat (mine fits under an airplane seat)? If I check baggage at CVS, will it get to POU w/o my picking it up at NYP and re-checking it to POU? How do I find out what sort of food is available on the CVS to NYP leg of trip? My return trip is just about the same (difference: Northeast Regional on outbound; Crescent on return 5 days later). TY.

Thank you. My problem, though, is that I think it will be difficult for me to lift my baggage to an overhead bin. I guess I have to hope that someone onboard will help me!

Thank you. My problem, though, is that I think it will be difficult for me to lift my baggage to an overhead bin. I guess I have to hope that someone onboard will help me!

I have the same problem, and the conductor tucked the suitcase in between 2 rows of seats. Just ask the conductor if there's some assistance available for you. In Penn Station, tell the conductor on the first train that you need a red cap for assistance at Penn Station. You can also get one for the Poughkeepsie train. A tip to them is always appreciated.

There is also usually a luggage bin at one end of each coach where you can stash a bag without having to lift it so high. The challenge is that these spaces fill up quickly on a busy train. With luck, the Roanoke and Lynchburg passengers won't have taken all the available space before you get on. Conductors also will help if asked -- once they've gotten everyone aboard.

I'm a light-boned and muscled 4 foot eleven incher and can't put anything heavier than a hat on the overhead compartment on train or plane, so I have never bothered with "carry-on luggage" and use my regular size, but lightweight, suitcase and I always aim for the car luggage slots when traveling by train. If I have trouble with even those which I sometimes do, someone has always helped, usually an Amtrak employee. There was one time when that was full, but I found that the seats at the top end of the car had a little more room in front and I was able to put my suitcase on the floor there next to the wall in front of my chair. It did limit my foot space somewhat, but was still roomier than on an airplane.

There is often extra floor space behind the last row of seats...enough to not even interfere with that row reclining..

I have found that those who cannot reach the overhead can place their bags on the seat and stand next to the seat. As the train starts to move someone will usually ask if you need help ... many passengers on the train are helpful and offer help rather quickly - if nothing else, an Amtrak employee should be able to assist.

many passengers on the train are helpful and offer help rather quickly - if nothing else, an Amtrak employee should be able to assist.

Once, I needed help getting my carry-on into the luggage compartment on a plane. A passenger across the aisle from my seat offered to help, which I thankfully accepted. There was a flight attendant in full view of what I was having difficulty doing and did not budge from his spot! (His service was sup-par the entire flight and this was a Delta One class flight for me.)

By the way, what/where is CVS? The only thing I could find during googling besides the omnipresent pharmacy was Clovis, NM and I know that's not what you meant.
Yes, CVS is Charlottesville, VA. Thanks for all of your advice. I have had airline employees be NOT very helpful with luggage, and it looks like Amtrak employees are much better!

Once, I needed help getting my carry-on into the luggage compartment on a plane. A passenger across the aisle from my seat offered to help, which I thankfully accepted. There was a flight attendant in full view of what I was having difficulty doing and did not budge from his spot! (His service was sup-par the entire flight and this was a Delta One class flight for me.)
I don't know about in the USA but in Australia airline FAs are prohibited by their employer from lifting passenger luggage into the overhead racks, it is a workers compensation issue. Some still do, but many don't.

On Amtrak and intercity buses I've often had passengers who offer to help hoist bags. After years of helping other passengers initially I found it a bit awkward to accept help, but have realized that it is a nice combination of courtesy and "let's get the aisle clear."

Back