New Trays

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reno89502

Service Attendant
So I am currently on Train 99 heading back home. Went to the lounge to get cheese an a drink, and the attendant had to apologize for the new trays that Amtrak is using. They are VERY awkward and flimsy. Just thought I would warn everyone, be careful of your drink as you carry it down the aisle. ImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1398542007.515064.jpg

Looks like the soda will fall right through.
It appears the cut out folds down, and catches just over half of the bottom of the can. Pretty ingenious design. I have seen cup holders with less support for a can.

Looks to me that Amtrak either simply switched suppliers for the cardboard food carry boxes or the supplier changed the design. The new type looks identical to disposable cardboard carry boxes I've seen used elsewhere. If the new type is flimsier, well, what else is new?

So I am currently on Train 99 heading back home. Went to the lounge to get cheese an a drink, and the attendant had to apologize for the new trays that Amtrak is using. They are VERY awkward and flimsy. Just thought I would warn everyone, be careful of your drink as you carry it down the aisle.
attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1398542007.515064.jpg
This design actually looks better than the silly corner cup holders that were just a thin strap of cardboard, many times breaking when the cafe attendant opened them to put in the cups.

The other trays were flimsy too. As June mentioned, that can strap was useless. I usually lay the can in the tray and hold the tray right under the can (otherwise, the can weighs it down and spills everything).

Alternately, I carry the can and use the tray for just food. The only issue with that is I don't have a hand free for grabbing seats/bars, but I've gotten really good at walking and swaying with the train movement. I call it "my train legs". :)

OMG, I hate these "new" carryout boxes. they are smaller, hold nothing in place securely (especially coffee cups) , and have already had problems with small items sliding out the hole from the cupholder.

You are even assuming Amtrak knew about the change, which I do not. Products get changed on me all the time. Same SKU, different product. Manufacturer/wholesaler goes deaf listening to me yell at them.

But I'm still stuck with it until I find a replacement if I only have one of that type.

Last edited by a moderator:
IMO, the other trays were pretty awful too, so they went from "broken" to "broken, but in a different way". ;)

Ironically... Amtrak California just got new carryout trays too. They look nothing like this. They have a brown cardboard exterior but a white interior. Didn't think much of it at the time, but now that this conversation has come up... I wish I took a photo.

Isn't "going green" and cutting down on wasted cardboard working out great? I mean doing this must have saved what, a twig?
Nobody claimed it was due to the "green" initiatives. Read GreenManedLion's and afigg's responses.

Why does one need a tray for two items?

Last edited:
Isn't "going green" and cutting down on wasted cardboard working out great? I mean doing this must have saved what, a twig?
Nobody claimed it was due to the "green" initiatives. Read GreenManedLion's and afigg's responses.
Less paper, more profit for the tray manufacturer. Who cares if it's useless? Apparently not Amtrak.

Anyone who doesn't like the new trays probably isn't using it right. The design is no worse than anything which came before it, and even if it was the decision had nothing to do with Amtrak. Anyone who says otherwise is paranoid. There, now I sound just like the rest of the forum's wise elders churning complaints against Amtrak into complaints against customers. Are we helping anyone yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back