New unofficial web page for Southwest Chief

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Superliner Diner

Conductor
MOKSRAIL, the NARP-affiliate rail passenger organization in Missouri and Kansas, has put together a new informative web page dedicated to the SOUTHWEST CHIEF. Check it out here.

Thanks for this. For any who may not know, the Santa Fe was one of the major operators of long distance trains. Not just the Super Chief, but also El Capitan(This is where we get our older hi-level cars) the Chief and the Grand Canyon, all CHI to LA.

There was also the San Francisco Chief(it later got some hi-level coaches , also) to SF; the Texas Chief to Texas points,, The Tulsan; trains from Chicago to Kansas City..the San Diegans, lots of beautiful, beautiful shining stainless steel streamliners all over the place. Not to mention their red and yellow locomotives.

It was one of the best passenger-operating railroads in the country at one time.

There were a number of transcontinental sleeper operations in the country then. THe premier operation, bar none, was the through NY-LA cars exchanged between the 20th Century Limited and the Super Chief in Chicago.

It is sad to read that the Southwest Chief is not, apparently, one of our better patronized trains today. It is unreal all the beautiful history which stems from that line.

But again, Superliner Diner, thanks for providing us this with link. No doubt I will refer back to it several more times today.

I know by those pictures some lucky dog was opening the dutch door. I hope he got permission. :D I always get caught.

In regards to porters.train attendants catching me with the dutch door open . . . One time some friends of mine started discussing ghosts, and if they believed in them. I explained that my only "ghost" experience is the many 70's Amtrak porters who disappeared when you needed the bed put up or down, and then suddenly reappeared moments after you opened the dutch door in the vestibule. Never new how they did that. :D

Anyway, I dont open the dutch door now because its not worth the hassle of agravating the crew, and alienating them towards other rail fans.

http://www.trainweb.com/cgi-bin/top/tw_do....3/2003c29a.html

Please check this site (from Trainweb.com) about the National Association Railroad Passengers Region 12 Meeting 3/29/03 and their discussions. There are some interesting observations and news items. One is the reroute of the Southwest Chief through Amarillo, Texas, when BNSF abandons its line over Raton Pass. No timetables for the switch are mentioned.

This would be kind of sad. The Raton Pass line is quite scenic, though it does have some of the steepest mainline grades on an Amtrak route. Maybe the line through Texas will have some scenic highlights to brag about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back