New Year's Eve on the Coast Starlight

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anybody spent New Year's Eve on Amtrak? I'm seriously thinking of returning from SEA to EMY December 31, and am wondering if Amtrak might try putting on a little something extra in the PPC - maybe late night food and wine, etc. I'm not a big party-er, but it might be fun to sit up until midnight and welcome in the New Year with my fellow sleeper passengers. Anybody with prior experience?

It was many years ago but I travelled from Chicago to Washington on the Capital Ltd. in coach I think it was 1985-86. There was some celebration in the lounge car but for the most part it was pretty subdued. I would guess that people who really want to celebrate the New Year won;t be travelling at the time.

I took this video 2 years ago on the CS. The attendent served drinks until 11:00 when she went to bed. She left instructions for us to not get too rowdy and not break anything! The celebration was pretty low key with only about 15 people It was very family friendly. In fect, you can see the little girl at the end exclaiming that it's not quite midnight! Afterward, several people went back to their rooms to party more. Lots of passengers had decorated their rooms and hung lights around the doors. It reallly was fun. You'll love it.

That looks like fun. I'm sorry the attendant retired at 11:00, but I can certainly empathize. Maybe I should bring a couple of bottles of champagne on board. Surely they (officialdom) wouldn't object if they already went to bed. By the way, I've already booked - using 15,000 AGR points.

Last edited by a moderator:
That looks like fun. I'm sorry the attendant retired at 11:00, but I can certainly empathize. Maybe I should bring a couple of bottles of champagne on board. Surely they (officialdom) wouldn't object if they already went to bed. By the way, I've already booked - using 15,000 AGR points.
Have fun, George! The CS is a nice train, though the northbound often has the better scenery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back