New York Food options

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Seaboard92

Engineer
I'm taking Amtrak to New York. Spending the night then flying to Europe from JFK. And I'm looking for a decent and preferably inexpensive place at penn station to eat at after arriving on 92. And again the next day in the vicinity of JFK. My party is pretty odd. We don't eat Asian, Latin America, or Italian cuisine. So our options are limited. Thank you guys

Stage Door Deli is across the street from Penn Station. Located at the corner of 33rd Street and 8th Avenue. I have eaten there several times.

Here is a link to their website.

McDonalds? Seriously, there are so many places to eat in New York that you will find somewhere, even if it is fast food. Just go for a wander on one of the cross streets going West from Penn Station and you will find loads of relatively cheap restaurants. Regarding JFK. It depends which terminal you are in but the choice is a lot better than it used to be, for example, there is a branch of the Grand Central Oyster Bar in one of the terminals which serves a great chowder for under 10 bucks.

I'm interested in your non-choice of food though. I can understand not eating some Asian food if you don't like spice but Italian???

Last edited by a moderator:
One of my people doesn't eat Italian for no real reason. I don't mind personally. We are flying out of terminal one which appears to be very limited.

If you are in a sleeper on 92, it is likely that an abbreviated dinner will be served prior to arriving at NYP.

New York City has more food options per foot than any other location in the country I would think. In penn station alone there are about a dozen delis (Aubon Pan, Europa Cafe, Heart & Crusty, etc) there are several pizza places, salad bars, Starbucks, Jamba Juice, Snack Carts with Pretzels hot dogs, etc., Moes Burritioes, Fridays, etc.

For a good non-chain sit down option right inside Penn Station I would recommend TRACKS Oyster Bar and Grill. They have a great menu that should please everyone. http://www.tracksbargrill.com/menu

Once you venture outside of Penn Station you're options are limitless but 2 places I'll quickly recommend...

1 - NY Pizza Supreme one block from NY Penn, arguably the best pizza in NY, def. one of the best!

2 - Grand Central Station Lower Level Food Court - It's a short subway ride away but the options are limitless and the quality is very high. Much better choices than Penn Station.

I have been told if you ate 3 meals a day each at a different NYC restaurant/cafe from day one of your life and lived 75-80 years you would only touch a fraction of what is available! This would take into account new places opening during that 75-80 year span.

No Italian? Really? (LOL). I concur with the above. NYC is awash with great food. The Stage Door Deli is one of my favs for quick, BIG sandwiches.

So many choices in the Apple, but I agree with the Stage Door Deli, it's excellent!

The subway ride over to Grand Central is definitely worth it, both for the food and just to see this jewel!

Can you land a reservation at Per Se? I former coworker said that his uncle took him there on a visit once, and it was the most incredibly served meal he ever had.

There's always Nathan's in and probably a couple around Penn. In the area around JFK you're going to be looking for something in the airport as there isn't much around there outside of fast food or slice joints (pizza).

Based upon the critera given (inexpensive and not Asian, Latin American or Italian), you might be best at one of the many national chain places somewhere between 34th Street and Times Square (TGI Friday's, Applebees, etc.)

Last edited by a moderator:
What kind of budget are we looking at? Le Bernandin type of budget? I can suggest all kinds of amazing things for foodies. I love DBGB which is a Daniel Boulud restaurant.

One place I like, but sounds like your party wouldn't, is popping down to 14th street and grabbing food at a Thai place across from 111 8th Ave. 111 8th Ave is the old Port Authority building now owned by Google. HUGE datacenter there.

Used to eat there all the time. Still miss it.

New York City has more food options per foot than any other location in the country I would think. In penn station alone there are about a dozen delis (Aubon Pan, Europa Cafe, Heart & Crusty, etc) there are several pizza places, salad bars, Starbucks, Jamba Juice, Snack Carts with Pretzels hot dogs, etc., Moes Burritioes, Fridays, etc.

For a good non-chain sit down option right inside Penn Station I would recommend TRACKS Oyster Bar and Grill. They have a great menu that should please everyone. http://www.tracksbargrill.com/menu

Once you venture outside of Penn Station you're options are limitless but 2 places I'll quickly recommend...

1 - NY Pizza Supreme one block from NY Penn, arguably the best pizza in NY, def. one of the best!

2 - Grand Central Station Lower Level Food Court - It's a short subway ride away but the options are limitless and the quality is very high. Much better choices than Penn Station.
You should do that just to visit Grand Central. Definitely worth a quit visit for any rail fan. ;)

(And dare I say it, the food options are better than my beloved Washington Union Station. Although DC does have a Neuhaus upstairs. World's best chocolate. Skip the meal, get the truffles.)

There's a big indoor mall/food court near the High Line linear park which can be walked to from Penn Station, although it is a serious walk. I can't remember what it was called but the outside was hipster ground zero. Great food inside, foodie heaven (and every dollar range). Whole steamed lobsters. Some places were bakeries, others had every spice. It was insane.

There's a big indoor mall/food court near the High Line linear park which can be walked to from Penn Station, although it is a serious walk. I can't remember what it was called but the outside was hipster ground zero. Great food inside, foodie heaven (and every dollar range). Whole steamed lobsters. Some places were bakeries, others had every spice. It was insane.
Chelsea Market?

Hey now. My Italian cuisine consumption came to a screeching halt when I found out I was diabetic. Ever heard of a low carb Italian meal?? Well, there is antipasto, but that defeats the whole purpose.

Anyway, I know you are looking for a sit down place. But I have to throw this out there: only buy from food carts who post their prices! It was my only rule, and when I broke it, my wallet hurt.

Speaking of food carts, I was really rather disappointed in them. All about the same, or at least two or three themes repeated a thousand times. I saw more variety in D.C.

I echo the idea of going to the food mall in Grand Central. Some good places there and reasonably cheap. Or the GC Oyster Bar. Not cheap but always busy and the food is excellent (if you like fish). Oh and the best Lobster roll I have ever had.

A great option, right by Penn Station is Cuccina Cafe at Macy's.

This used to be on the lower level, it's now on the 6th floor, and the sandwiches and pizza are really good, you can ride the wooden escalators to get to that floor.

It's run by a restaurant group, and I say this as many people seem to have a phobia about department store restaurants that must have some connection to childhood trauma.

http://www.patinagroup.com/restaurant.php?restaurants_id=63

Ken

A great option, right by Penn Station is Cuccina Cafe at Macy's.

This used to be on the lower level, it's now on the 6th floor, and the sandwiches and pizza are really good, you can ride the wooden escalators to get to that floor.

It's run by a restaurant group, and I say this as many people seem to have a phobia about department store restaurants that must have some connection to childhood trauma.

http://www.patinagroup.com/restaurant.php?restaurants_id=63

Ken
I second this suggestion! The last time I went it was in the basement and we were pleasantly surprised. We randomly found it while shopping and decided to stop for a drink. Then we got some snacks. Pretty good. I actually have very fond memories of department store restaurants, I used to be taken to the restaurant at Strawbridge & Clothier's for dinner as a treat on my birthday as a child. We would get dressed up and I would be allowed to order shirley temples!

Stage Door Deli is across the street from Penn Station. Located at the corner of 33rd Street and 8th Avenue. I have eaten there several times.

Here is a link to their website.
I have seen this deli featured on the TV show "Food Paradise" on the travel channel so it must be good.

The Stagedoor Deli near MSG is good, but I believe that the Stage Door Deli in midtown is no longer in existence. But the nearby (and better) Carnegie Deli is still there. That is probably your best bet in Midtown / theater district. Further South, on Houston St, Katz's Deli is superb!

Don't think you said how long you will be in NYC, but it is loaded with awesome food - and much of it quite reasonably priced. Even the many food trucks, etc., have good options.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back