New York, NY

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My wife and I stayed at the New Yorker Hotel at 34th & 8th this past spring. We found it to be safe, convenient, and reasonably priced for midtown. Google maps is your friend, there are deals to be had if you plan ahead.
I stayed there last summer and found it to be reasonably priced compared to most area hotels but just OK. The rooms are small which is generally the case with old properties, but who cares if you don't spend much time there. It was certanly dated but clean.

Where is a safe hotel within walking distance of Penn Station in NY for a single older lady. Hopefully not too far away.
The closest hotel to Penn Station, specially the Moynihan Train Hall is the Fairfield Inn and Suites by Marriott Midtown Manhattan/Penn Station on 33rd St, just a walk across the street from the Moynihan Train Hall.

Then there is the New Yorker that has been mentioned above.

I have also stayed at the Hampton Inn on 31st St. between 6th and 7th Ave, and the Courtyard by Marriott on 30th St. also between 6th and 7th Ave. All are safe and within a few minutes' walk from the 7th Ave exit of Penn Station.

Last edited:
I just stayed three nights at the Hilton Garden Inn on 35th between 6th and 5th. It’s not a bad walk from Moynihan but you might consider it a little too far. A big plus was being less than a block from the spectacular Macy’s which is well worth a visit if you’ve never been. The Christmas windows were magical.

I just stayed three nights at the Hilton Garden Inn on 35th between 6th and 5th. It’s not a bad walk from Moynihan but you might consider it a little too far. A big plus was being less than a block from the spectacular Macy’s which is well worth a visit if you’ve never been. The Christmas windows were magical.
Yeah, 35th and 36th St has a cluster of hotels.

Good morning from the Metropolitan Lounge at Moynihan Train Hall! Just taking a quick Acela down to DC for work but am wistfully looking at the departures wishing I were about to board the Silver Star or another LD train. 😊

Anyway, I just saw on the screens in the Hall that the Highline Moynihan Connector is open. I hadn’t even heard of it before (even living in NYC) and was wondering if anyone has tried it. I’m curious to know how easy or difficult it is to do with a rolling carry on bag.

Thanks, and happy travels!

IMG_2156.jpeg

Good morning from the Metropolitan Lounge at Moynihan Train Hall! Just taking a quick Acela down to DC for work but am wistfully looking at the departures wishing I were about to board the Silver Star or another LD train. 😊

Anyway, I just saw on the screens in the Hall that the Highline Moynihan Connector is open. I hadn’t even heard of it before (even living in NYC) and was wondering if anyone has tried it. I’m curious to know how easy or difficult it is to do with a rolling carry on bag.

Thanks, and happy travels!

View attachment 33678
The connector opened about a month ago. I would suspect that it’s ADA compliant.

A friend of mine who is one of those daily multi mile walkers takes PATH over and walks forever. He posted FB pictures a few weeks ago, let me look and see if I can find them and look. But I do believe AB is correct about the ADA compliance and I know at a few points further down they have elevator access for that reason. Can't imagine the new section would not be.

1693149878135.png

That is the connector courtesy of my friend Frank. (Today he is walking around the South, he is at the Emmitt Till Memorial sites around Glendora, MS)

A friend of mine who is one of those daily multi mile walkers takes PATH over and walks forever. He posted FB pictures a few weeks ago, let me look and see if I can find them and look. But I do believe AB is correct about the ADA compliance and I know at a few points further down they have elevator access for that reason. Can't imagine the new section would not be.

View attachment 33679

That is the connector courtesy of my friend Frank. (Today he is walking around the South, he is at the Emmitt Till Memorial sites around Glendora, MS)
Very cool - and not as crowded as the rest of it. Thanks for sharing!

Back