New York Penn Station v3.0

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found that last night, too. I didn't know that they had advanced so far. And the developer rep said that all the work in the immediate NYP area would be finished in a year.
Like most things in New York City, finishing a Construction project on Schedule is, as a Political Consultant infamously said, " An Alternate Truth!"😄

Why go west to Moynihan only to go east to board the train.
In my opinion and for my travel, for Amtrak if you have to wait it’s worth it because it’s a way nicer facility with way better amenities. For me who likes to walk it really is no issue. I suppose for persons with mobility challenge may be an issue but they do have red caps. At the end of the day if you’re boarding from Moynihan it isn’t much different from Washington where you end up on the back end of the train.

My question isn't about the redevelopment, but rather a practical one: we will walk down 8th Ave from the New Yorker Hotel to catch #190 tomorrow 6:50 a.m. Friday March 10. Should we cross the street and enter at the "Pennsylvanian Station" sign, or go through the Moynahan Hall entrance?

Yeah, I know it's a bit late to ask, but I thought you folks on this thread would know best.

My question isn't about the redevelopment, but rather a practical one: we will walk down 8th Ave from the New Yorker Hotel to catch #190 tomorrow 6:50 a.m. Friday March 10. Should we cross the street and enter at the "Pennsylvanian Station" sign, or go through the Moynahan Hall entrance?

Yeah, I know it's a bit late to ask, but I thought you folks on this thread would know best.
Unless you're already familiar with Penn Station, I'd do it from Moynahan like I did when I stayed at the New Yorker last year.

Just a FYI for train station aficionados: The latest (13 March) issue of The NewYorker magazine has a feature article about the history of Penn Station and its continuing struggle to deal with modernization. Turns out that having Madison Square Garden "upstairs" has not worked out well!

Just a FYI for train station aficionados: The latest (13 March) issue of The NewYorker magazine has a feature article about the history of Penn Station and its continuing struggle to deal with modernization. Turns out that having Madison Square Garden "upstairs" has not worked out well!
That’s an understatement…

The same situation with the office towers built above the train concourse at Chicago Union Station at the end of that same decade…

That story in the New Yorker is amazing. I thought I knew the gory details, but the author really fleshed it out, including what a &*! the MSG owner is. If you have any interest in the future of Penn Station, you need to read it.

I have a subscription, so read it on paper, but it seems to be available at

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2023/03/13/the-fight-over-penn-station-and-madison-square-garden
If it is behind a paywall, see if you can find a paper copy or someone that has a sub that can get you in.

That story in the New Yorker is amazing. I thought I knew the gory details, but the author really fleshed it out, including what a &*! the MSG owner is. If you have any interest in the future of Penn Station, you need to read it.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2023/03/13/the-fight-over-penn-station-and-madison-square-garden
If it is behind a paywall, see if you can find a paper copy or someone that has a sub that can get you in.
I was able to read it, typical New Yorker article - full of an impressive marshalling of historical detail mixed with snide asides but without a clear conclusion.

This is Amtrak and MTA's propsoal for rebuilding Penn Station, which is both sky lit and has MSG so they need not be mutually exclusive.

https://new.mta.info/project/penn-station-reconstruction
Local NIMBY's, such as "Rethink" (who also like to impersonate transit planners) want nothing else demolished in the area, though lost the battle on Hotel Pennsylvania (not even the abandoned Pennsy power house), but to replicate the 1910 facility that had plenty of flaws people choose to forget, and nobody under 70 remembers it anyway.

Last edited:
Local NIMBY's, such as "Rethink" (who also like to impersonate transit planners) want nothing else demolished in the area, though lost the battle on Hotel Pennsylvania (not even the abandoned Pennsy power house), but to replicate the 1910 facility that had plenty of flaws people choose to forget, and nobody under 70 remembers it anyway.
I guess instead of NIMBYs they should be called NCAAEs (Never Change Anything Anywhere Ever) :)

The usual term for universal NIMBYs is BANANAs (Build Absolutely Nothing Anywhere Near Anyone) or CAVErs (Citizens Against Virtually Everything).
And these plus the NIMBY's are a major factor in why public transportation projects cost so much. I don't think there is enough Valium on the planet for the engineers that have to be part of public hearings on major projects.

This is Amtrak and MTA's propsoal for rebuilding Penn Station, which is both sky lit and has MSG so they need not be mutually exclusive.

https://new.mta.info/project/penn-station-reconstruction
That's simply a skylight over what once was the cab driveway between the office building and MSG. The station itself would still be under MSG and in the dark except for what light would trickle in from the "breezeway" lol. And for that mess the cost was to be something like seven billion dollars.

It is available, not behind a paywall, but you have to fight repeated attempts to subscribe.

I have a feeling that a bunch of folks in here would be just as happy to see MSG demolished on general principle anymore, even if we collectively got nothing but a pad of concrete in its place.

Back