Newark Penn Station cleanup and upgrade

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
New Jersey Transit’s (NJ Transit) Board of Directors moved two facility projects forward with the awarding of separate contracts.

AECOM Technical Services, Inc., was awarded a $1.9-million contract for all design and construction support phases of the Trenton Transit Center enhancement project and Parsons Transportation Group was awarded a $9.2 million professional services contract for the restoration and renovation of Newark Penn Station.

Details can be found in this article:

Newark Penn Station and Trenton Transit Center Upgrade Contracts Awarded

I am serious. It’s an eyesore, badly executed. The previous station was more attractive and I think it was an Amshack style. But at least it had a Roy Rogers.

I passed through it last May. Here's a picture. While it might not win any architectural awards, I didn't think it was that bad. Of course, if one prefers Roy Rogers to McDonald's.....

20210513_133343.jpg

I think the renovation work involves rebuilding the platforms, not the station itself.

I passed through it last May. Here's a picture. While it might not win any architectural awards, I didn't think it was that bad. Of course, if one prefers Roy Rogers to McDonald's.....

View attachment 26752

I think the renovation work involves rebuilding the platforms, not the station itself.

The platforms are theonly thing attractive about the station. And who doesn’t prefer Roy Rogers? Their food has things McDonald’s lacks, such as flavor and edibility.

The last time at Newark the platforms appeared very poor on the south end. Always thought that the south end very seldom used except for a very long train. Wonder how the Super Stars will load on those poor platforms?

That's so ugly that if it got washed into a gully during a heavy rain, you could pump ugly for a month and still not get it all.
What's worse is it isn't the only one. Eddington is just as bad as Bridesburg.

Tacony, Torresdale, Holmesburg Junction, and Cornwells Heights are nearly as bad but at least they have something identifiable as platforms, sort of. And these are ***all on the Trenton Line, aka the NEC***

Back