Newb questions--tell me if this would work

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JLC

Train Attendant
Ok, if I apply for the Amtrak World Mastercard and spend $1000 in the first 90 days, I will get 20,000 points. How long does it take for the points to be available for use?

I would also get a companion coupon when I open the account. Here is my scenario:

I use points to purchase two round trip tickets for St. Louis - Springfield, MA - St. Louis for next May. I can designate someone else for those two tickets, is that correct? I also purchase 2 more tickets for that same trip at the value fare rate, one for me and one for someone else. Could I use the companion ticket also so that a total of 5 of us would be traveling together? The breakdown would be 2 purchased with points, 2 cash purchase, and 1 companion fare. Would that work?

Does a companion fare have to be used with a paying fare? Could you use two companion fares with one paying fare, or could you use the companion fare with a ticket purchased with points?

I'm trying to get this all worked out in my head and I appreciate any help you can give.

As far as I understand it:

The bonus points become available for your use at the end of the billing cycle in which your purchase total hits $1000.

Yes, you can use points to book tickets for people other than yourself.

No, you cannot use your companion coupon on a ticket that you paid for with points. The companion coupon can be used only on a ticket paid for with cash (or cash-valued vouchers, if you've got any of those) at a non-discounted rate. That means no saver fares, but value fares are OK.

Ok, if I apply for the Amtrak World Mastercard and spend $1000 in the first 90 days, I will get 20,000 points. How long does it take for the points to be available for use?

I would also get a companion coupon when I open the account. Here is my scenario:

I use points to purchase two round trip tickets for St. Louis - Springfield, MA - St. Louis for next May. I can designate someone else for those two tickets, is that correct? I also purchase 2 more tickets for that same trip at the value fare rate, one for me and one for someone else. Could I use the companion ticket also so that a total of 5 of us would be traveling together? The breakdown would be 2 purchased with points, 2 cash purchase, and 1 companion fare. Would that work?

Does a companion fare have to be used with a paying fare? Could you use two companion fares with one paying fare, or could you use the companion fare with a ticket purchased with points?

I'm trying to get this all worked out in my head and I appreciate any help you can give.

bonus is now temporarily at 40,000 points

Yeah it's pretty steep, but if you gather all your bills: phone, utilities, cable etc.and pay them with your card, plus all your ordinary purchases, it's feasible as long as you pay your bill fully each month.

p.s. the no fee card offers a 12,000 reward points bonus with $1,000.00 spent in 3 months.

$1,000 in THREE MONTHS?!?!? I wish I had your bills. LOL I keep my Select Plus status by spending $5,000 PER MONTH...good for 1,000 TQPs per month for 4 months. Plus the 8 R/Ts a year on the A/T. Xmas alone runs $3,600 on the A/T, a good size chunk of TQPs... so I should be getting my Executive Status.

Back