Newbie Best Fare Lookup Question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nendee

Train Attendant
AU Supporting Member
I hear folks talk about bucket calendars and all that (complicated). Like airfare, is there a way for me to see the cheapest fare? I want to go to Chicago from Hartford (LSL) anytime beginning of August, and I’m tired of checking each day in the booking app to find a low price (my days are flexible). Please advise. 9DB1DAAB-BE16-403E-9C7F-297E64FF01BA.png

Oh, we wish there were a way to check for the lowest fare! I don't think there's currently a way other than what you've been doing. Until recently there was a wonderful website—not run by Amtrak—that would present this information for us, but due to changes in the Amtrak site it no longer functions.

Yes, so I spent an hour checking dates on a east to Chicago trip. I found the direct from Springfield to Chicago that is reasonable. I only had to manually try like 40 dates. Totally ridiculous.

Welcome to Amtrak. Maybe it would be best if things stay the way they are. That way the peasants don’t snag up all the low fares. Seriously though, most of us here feel your pain.

Try looking at how much the roomette is from Albany and taking coach there from Springfield. Can't do multi-city on the app but can on the website on mobile or desktop. The Lake Shore combines its two sections (NYC & Boston) and the Boston section only has one sleeper, so its fares usually are higher.

Sometimes it may be helpful just to know what the lowest fares are - even if they not offered by Amtrak. F'rinstance Coach and Sleeper fares between CHI and ALB can be found in Post #10 here: Long Distance Train Coach & Sleeper Fares (Buckets)

However, increases this year in fares for Family Bedrooms and Bedrooms are not shown on that chart.

Last edited:
Back